Zen Drive vs. Timmy?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jumblefingers, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

Can anyone provide info comparing the Timmy and Zen Drive? Are they in similar sonic territory or totally different?

Both seem to get rave/can't-live-without reviews and I can't affford both. Does one go further into overdrive territory?

As always thanks for any info!

2. eknapier

eknapier Member

This is a good question, I'm also interested in finding out anyone's thoughts...

3. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

I have both and think they are in the same sonic ballpark. The Zen may have a bit more drive, but I like the EQ of the Timmy/Tim better. If I had to choose between those two, I'd go with the Timmy but I could use either one on a gig and be happy.

The Zen is more of a balancing act between the tone, voice, and gain. Because of this, it may be a bit more versatile in terms of tweaking the character of the OD. The Tim is better at rolling off a bit of highs or adjusting the amount of bass just right but you can't change the character of the OD quite as much, only the amount of drive.

4. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Is one fatter/warmer than the other or is it just a question of how you dial in each one since they're so close?

5. erksin

erksin Member

I don't have a Zen, but I do have a Mos - I don't think they sound remotely close to each other. Well, the only thing they do share is a nice responsive pick attack and killer dynamics. The Timmy colors your basic tone much less, has less compression, and a grittier OD flavor. The Mos is ultra smooth, more compressed and imparts more of it's personality on your tone. Both pedals have a lot of tweakability, but it would be hard to get them to overlap IMO. They're both killer pedals and different enough to warrant having both...

6. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

I had a Mos also, and didn't think it sounded very much like the Zen *or* the Tim. I sold the Mos after I got the Zen and had time to compare the two.

7. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

The Zendrive is warmer and has more gain than the Timmy I have.

I love both. The Z2 is where my heart is. That pedal smokes!!!!

8. Jumblefingers

So far seems that this is what I hear...:D

Timmy:
    - Overall has less drive
    - Overall charachter is more singular/defined across the various settings
    - Has more EQ tweakability

Zen Drive:
    - Overall has more drive
    - Has a wider/more varied range of possible tonal characters
    - Has less EQ variation
    - Is "warmer" than the Timmy

Any other observations are welcome/encouraged - I am tired of the buying/trying/selling/buying circle and respect the opinons of those that seem to lurk hereabouts.

Thx very much!

9. theHoss

theHoss Member

I have spoke with Paul several times, and he suggested that they stack rather well. He described the timmy as more power ampy dirve, and suggested that preampy type pedals do really well with the tim/timmy. However, I am going out on a limb here, I might have missed the point of the master all together? He could have been trying to teach me the glass was half full, and not half empty.

10. erksin

erksin Member

Yeah, the Timmy sounds (to me) more like a cranked up amp - power tube grind. The Mos/Zen is more pre-amp style saturated gain with lots more overtones on tap. I think Paul's take is right on...

11. Ed Alvarado

Ed Alvarado Member

Wow! The Zendrive I had didn't have near the gain my Timmy does and like erksin I get that power amp grind vibe from my Timmy which I really love. Both are very cool none the less. I am anxiously awaiting my Mosferatu with the voice control to arrive.

Regards Ed

12. rclemmer

rclemmer Guest

I own a TIM and a Zendrive. I love them both. Here's my take.

The TIM has a more transparent tone. The bass and treble roll-off controls are very nice. This pedal can work as a clean boost or an O/D pedal, depending on how the gain controls are set.

The Zendrive is sonically very different. The tone is less transparent, but very pleasing. Others on this forum compare this pedal to a Dumble. Having never played one of those $20k amps, I can't comment. The voice and tone controls work in harmony to allow a significant amount of sonic versatility.

Buy them both. Then add an OCD and you've got yet another awesome O/D tone machine at your disposal.

13. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I have already ordered a Timmy from Paul. It should be ready in a week or so. The waiting part is starting to kill me, I am reading anything with the word Timmy in the title. lol

What type of amp does the Timmy kinda sound like? I'm just curious for stupid reasons. This pedal will be going before my Flexi 50 used more as a boost than a straight OD. I'm still curious to the staight sound of the pedal though. Is it straight 80's/90's type of drive, or does it have that Plexi type of sound?

Awe, I can't wait.. I need it now. lol

14. erksin

erksin Member

IMO, it has a 6L6 sounding clip to it - check out The Gainster's Timmy clips (do a search, they're here somewhere) - his tones are a very accurate rendering of what the Timmy sounds like.

15. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Thanx for pointing that out. Those were some really cool clips!

16. pepeteus

pepeteus Member

Timmy and TIM are wonderful pedals in that they sound very different depending on the amp used. Of course that is the case with many pedals, but to me they are pedals that really don't hide the tone of your amp. The base sound of the amp always comes through.

Here's a little TIM/Timmy clip thread I posted a while ago, if you're interested. TIM and Timmy through a Peavey Delta Blues. Still sounds like Peavey - in good and in bad...
    Timmy and TIM clip

17. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

Yeah I think of the Timmy as more of a power amp overall sound generator...

the Zen and Mos are both more preamp- lead tones

or I would set t he Timmy up to enhance my over all sound- feed t he amp.... and then stomp the Zen or Mos for solos..... especially with the voice control you can dial in a very useful lead tone that will cut thru without being obnoxious...... I also used the voice control on the Zen as just a lead boost , gainmost of the way off with a little voice and level boost ....

as t he G-man said the Zen2 is a sweety..... its more like the amp enhancement of the Tim ....
    actually running t he Zen into the Zen 2 would be a great multichannel rig .... and theres the Nu-Valve :D

18. theHoss

theHoss Member

I just received my Timmy. WOW! I am finding I like to set it at light break up, although I love the sound of the gain maxed out (If I had several timmy's I could do it all). So DonneR's response is interesting me. Paul has said the same thing about the Zen into the timmy, does anyone else push the timmy for lead tones? If so, what pedals have you stacked infront of it? For leads, I like thick creamy (but not fuzzy) tones.

Thanks everyone (and thanks Paul!)

19. Jumblefingers

Buy them both. Then add an OCD and you've got yet another awesome O/D tone machine at your disposal.

I have an OCD and though I like it I think I enjoy the MI Blue Boy more - I find the OCD a little "harsh". How do the Timmy and Zen compare to the OCD?

Thx

20. Paychek

Paychek Member

I have the Timmy before the Zendrive on my pedalboard, and for light OD I use the Timmy, when I want more gain I stomp on the Zen also to get a creamy thick lead tone(and it cuts nicely). Good Stuff. I have never tried putting the Zen in front of the Timmy. I will have to try it.
    Mikey