Zen Drive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Curt, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Curt

Curt Member

I received my Zen Drive yesterday. I was actually pretty curious to see (hear) if the pedal actually lived up to all the hype that has surrounded it. Answer: It HAS, and much more. There are now TWO pedals on my board that I would never even consider parting with. The ZenDrive and Paul's TIM pedal.
    A Zen into a TIM into a Reinhardt into a Z-Best. IMHO, it doesn't get any better.

Thanks Alf. Incredible pedal!

Curt (Independence Missouri)

2. Deaj

Deaj Member

Yeah, the Zendrive is just great!

3. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

hail the mighty zendrive! i love mine!

4. KLB

KLB Member

The Zendrive and TIM are also my OD pedals of choice, with the Zen in front of TIM.

5. kccheers

kccheers Member

Hey Curt....glad to hear you love the pedal. I am in Liberty, so Hi Neighbor!

I am actually getting ready to order a dual druve unit from Alf....a Mos/Zen pedal.

Cheers.....

Sam from Liberty

6. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

The Zen into a Mos 4 is not too shabby either!!

7. enge

enge Member

Can someone direct me to a website with info on the Zen? It sounds like it's a kickbutt pedal. Any thoughts on how it compares to a Landgraff (which is what I currently have)?

8. drolling

drolling Member

Go to hermida audio to order the Zen direct. Alfonso Hermida does sell to a few retailers, but they're often backordered.

I got mine straight from Alf in about a month.

9. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

http://www.hermidaaudio.com/
    Great pedal, get one and if for some reason it doesn't suit you'll beable to sell it here in no time flat.

10. enge

enge Member

Thanks guys! This seems to be a great forum

11. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I'm reviving this just a little...

I was wondering, I have now ordered my zendrive, sounds JUST what I was looking for...but I wondered if it needs or is best as the first pedal in the chain or is it okay after even buffered pedals?

Reason I ask, I have a Jekyll & Hyde (that I really love the sound of) but, I have to recheck this, it seemed like it really lost a lot of its qualities when run after a buffered Boss GE-7 (modded for less noise)...even when off, the volume control on the guitar didn't let me dial in the dist I wanted. It never got as high a distortion as when it is first in line, or at least only had true-bypass in between guitar and it.

I wondered if a similar thing happened with the zerndrive or if it can be after a buffered pedal.

I ordered the zendrive, mainly because I have been lusting after that Warren Haynes Allman bros sound...(sounds like a zipper being zipped fast as he goes into a note on slide)....from what I heard on the sound clips, this does it...as well as some really sweet OD.

I can't wait to try it out.

Anyone know what I mean about that sound though? Can you get it with the zendrive?

I mostly use a strat into a Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410. Have some other pedals in the chain, and also use other amps, like Peavey Classic 30, Carvin MTS3212...also a really nice tele, and Es-335.

Anyone tried the Zendrive through these kinds of setups?

12. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Bump...

Just really curious about what I was asking...thought I'd give it another try.

13. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

So, still no one uses a buffered pedal between the guitar and the Zendrive?

Nobody? I'm really curious about this, because I have had OD or Dist pedals that worked fine (my definition of that here is...the volume pot on the guitar drastically changes the dist/OD amount, to be able to "dial in" the sound you want...or go between fairly clean to dist. Usually the biggest change between when the guitar is set at 9-10, then down to 6-8.) with buffered pedals upstream (like a Boss GE-7, or a TU-2, etc.) and others that lose that dynamic with buffered upstream...meaning some like to "see" the guitar directly more than others...with only true-bypass upstream.

I wondered a lot about which the Zen is.

14. journo

journo Member

Hi,

I use a Boss CS-3, a stock CryBaby, a Zoom PD-01 and a resissue TS-9 before the ZD and I like the sound.

I haven't tried the ZD first in the chain but your curiosity ignited my own so when I get time I'll try moving it around a bit.

Cheers,

Mats N

15. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I also use an RC Booster before the Zen. The RC is on all the time.

16. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Okay...let me know, I'd really like to hear what you think...it if improves it (I actually hope it doesn't...that it makes no difference, because it means more flexibility in placement) or not.

At least you answered half the equation, that is sounds fine with buffered pedals upstream.

Thanks! And let me know what you think with it first in the chain.

I jst did a similar discovery with my Mojo vibe. I love the sound of it, but recently added also a exp pedal, and was using it downstream from the J & H, and Marshall trem, and GE-7...and it suddenly sounded thin. Still pretty good, but the main thing I love about it is the thckness in the sound.

Tried unplugging the exp pedal, and it helped definitely, but still not enough.
    I moved it to fisrt in line direct from guitar and it sounded fantastic again. Put back the exp pedal and it DIDN'T change the sound. So it seems the exp can make it worse when it is sounding thin already, but is not noticeable when all is okay.