Zen (or similar) into solid state amp?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by doc, Apr 4, 2008.

1. doc

doc Member

Wondering if the Zen (or Jetter, etc.) would sound almost as good through a clean solid state amp as it apparently does into a clean Fender style tube amp? I have a small Peavey that is my cheap, portable, no worries grab and go and am considering getting a Zen for use with that and with a Fender Vibrosonic. I'm sure it would sound great with the Fender, just curious how much the tone is dependant on it pushing some tubes.

2. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

It sounds great into an SS amp. I've used with my peavey, my clarus and my markbass.

3. tone4days

tone4days Member

i use it with a quite inexpensive fender solid state 1x12" combo .. i love the sound very much .... not leaving my pedal board

t4d

4. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

I LOVE my zen into my tech 21 set clean. It sounds better thru that than my marshall 18watt clone

5. danel59

danel59 Member

I have just received an Ethos and have a few amps that I use (Fuchs ODS30 and Koch Studiotone) but the one that surprised me was running it into the power amp section of my Powerblock. In this instance I use the Ethos more as a preamp than an OD pedal and I was very impressed with both clean and OD channels.

Dan

6. eru

eru Member

does this sound actually compare to your fuchs?

7. danel59

danel59 Member

In a live setting I would say it compares quite favourably. On its own at home
    you can hear some differences but they are closer than what I thought possible
    Dan

8. eru

eru Member

Awesome. How about feel? The Fuchs I played (an ods 100) had a really over the top touch response that "felt" incredible. Do you think the ethos is even close to that?

9. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I don't know about into a SS amp but into a clean tube amp, the feel of an ethos is like the feel of a great overdriven amp.

10. danel59

danel59 Member

The feel and touch response is quite good. Not quite up there with the Fuchs but very good none-the-less. I hate to admit it but there are some settings I have on the Ethos that I really like tone and feel wise that I have yet to cop on the Fuchs. This is the best alternative that I have tried lets put it that way. The reason I ordered the Ethos was for the versatility of the unit, you can use it as a stomp box, a preamp or a direct recording device. I do a few fly gigs and it is nice to know that I can take the Ethos and have a unit that will give me mostly what I am used to from the Fuchs and not be bothered by whatever backline is supplied

Dan