Zen,TIMMY,Eternity or BB Preamp?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jtindle, Sep 1, 2008.

1. jtindle

jtindle Member

Which would you get rid of and what would you replace it with?

I need 1 for low gain, 1 for rhythm crunch, 1 for lead. That leaves 1 out. Sell it? Use it as a boost? Replace it with???

Jeff

2. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

I would get rid of them all and keep the E. Get a Klon and an OCD to replace the other 3. My personal preference.

3. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

Low gain - Timmy
    The Tim and Timmy pedals are known to have a very smooth sounding low-gain overdrive. Among the other options, I think that would be best.

Rhythm Crunch - BB
    This has a very rich and thick sounding crunch tone to it. I would pick it over the E cause I personally think the E isn't a very versatile pedal. The sound is very one sided to me sometimes.

Lead - Zendrive
    I think this pedal has a tight overdrive sound to it, which I think would sound great stacked for leads. Plus it has a very cutting tone.

4. Blueser

Blueser Member

I use the BB Preamp for crunch tones as well, along with a Klon for my blues breakup and lead tones. If I want higher gain, stack the BB into the Klon for some incredible high gain tones. Very versatile pair of pedals!

5. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

If you are playing live, the Tim (not timmy) and Eternity. They cut through a mix very well.

6. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

That is exactly how I use it with my Lone Star Classic. I really like the BB for almost Marshally med-gain crunch tones. I also do not find it ANYTHING like a TS, and I've heard it described as a TS-clone many times here...weird to me, but just my opinion.

PS: Kind of funny to me how it (and other flavas-of-the-month) got raves for several months and then once the bedroomers got tired of it, the more average/neg statements started showing up...

I am not criticizing, I just find it interesting how those trends cycle.
    Just human nature I guess.
    :messedup

7. jb1911

jb1911 Member

If I had to choose 3 out of those 4 the Zendrive would be the loser. With the other 3 you're covered for dirt.

8. soundbee

soundbee Member

Only two pedals needed...

Timmy = low gain
    BB = crunchy rhy
    Timmy + BB = lead.

9. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

I use a BB and a ZVEX Box of Rock

10. Blueser

Blueser Member

The BB is the exact opposite of the TS IMHO! It is a crunchy uncompressed Marshall like tone with the gain set to 1:00 or less and the treble set at noon or higher, and more Dumbly with the gain above 1:00 and the treble set below noon.

The BB is no TS clone to my ears, that's for sure.

11. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

We are in 100% agreement.

Rock on.

:banana

12. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I also agree 100% w/ this. I think there has to come a point where you just have to trust your own ears.

13. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

Do you guys run your amps breaking up and then stack an OD and punch in another for boost? just wondering as I try to get the tonal grind and fullness from my JCM800 and then I throw my BB on top with th egain just cracked for rythm and then at 11 or so for lead.

14. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

I currently use a Tim for Low Gain, have the Zen in the Tim's Loop so both (Cascaded) can be used with a single button click for mid-high gain. The Tim's Boost is used for leads in either case (Tim alone + Boost or TIM/Zen combo + Boost). That way I have 4 different sounds with two pedals and am never more than a single click away from either one.

15. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

that's pretty clever ... wow, never heard of that before ... thanks for that!

As to the OP,
    IMO the Eternity will cut through a band's mix the best of the four mentioned pedals ...
    I've had all four and didn't keep any of 'em ...but the Eternity is the one I miss the most ...

I would advise you picking up a Jetter Gold ... this is a great pedal that sounds like the Tim when the drive is set low .... and like an Eternity only capable of more gain when cranked ....
    Plus it cuts through a band better then all four of the OP pedals mentioned
    (& I'm talking about a pumping band) ...

16. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

Don't know the Tim

Prefer the OCD to the BB for rythm

Zendrive obviously for lead, but I'm actually using more often the Small Fry for that