Zendrive arrived! (and a quick question)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jrkoosh, Feb 14, 2009.

1. jrkoosh

jrkoosh Silver Supporting Member

Hi there,
    Looks like Alf is shipping these out fast these days! I can't wait to plug in later. So, I will be using a PRS Single cut (the lawsuit one) into a clean Mesa Lonestar Special. I would love to get some of the early Trey Anastasio tones out of this, but it doesn't have to be exact- just sounds "like" that. Any tips in settings?

If it needs to be goosed, I also have a Tim or a Pure drive to push it. Or an OCD :) But they are never are all on the board at the same time.

Thanks!

2. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Try the OCD...it's a nice tone.

3. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

Dial the Tone Knob to noon.
    Then set the gain where you want it. Then set the voice. Voice and gain can be interactive, so you may have to tweak these two a bit to find that happy medium.

once you have the "voice/gain" where you like it, then use the tone knob to dial in as much bright or dark as you like.

Finally, set the volume where it fits your situation.

They don't 'need' to be goose, as they sound great at most volumes... but as with any OD pedal, they sound best when they simply complement your amp, rather than overwhelm it.

4. TJL

TJL Member

Like stated before, people don't usually give the ZD the time of day because of the fact that they can't get the voice and tone knobs to work with each other. Just have some patience, play with these two knobs. The voice knob adds gain, and mids, and some dynamics, so play around with that thing.

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

This is exactly how I do it. I don't know about the sound the OP is trying for, but in the beginning of the process (first setting tone at noon, voice at noon) I turn my single coil guitar up to 10, neck PU, and initial adjust on gain somewhere near 09:00-09:30 or thereabouts, but I use my ears..there is a certain point, very similar to setting guitar volume on a fuzz, where moving CW it just gets on the edge...starts sounding fatter and sweeter, then I do all the adjustments here, and as pointed out, the knobs (I would even say volume as well included here) are VERY interactive, so in the end I do usually another try at gain to get it on the edge again after adjusting, then volume to slight boost over unity.

It took way longer to write this than to do it. I can adjust it and get "my" sound very quickly and so far really with any amp, from a JTM-45, to a DeVille, to a Classic 30, etc. etc.

But the knobs always end up in different places (slightly...if I took photos at a glance they would seem pretty similar, but on closer look you'd see that they were slightly different each time).

6. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

I find that almost any combination of tone and voice works well, but mine are always 12:00 or higher, and are usually within a 1/4 turn of each other.

It's got a good amount of gain, I bet you don't need to goose it.

7. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

I'll have to try this as well. I've got a Zendrive 2 coming.

8. jrkoosh

thanks a ton! Exactly what I needed. There was a great tip for searching in there too that I never knew :)
    Good to read others (and Alf's note) about the Voice, as my PRS is dark, and my strat is pretty chimey.

9. jrkoosh

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009