Zendrive + Fender amp> Dumble OD ?( R Ford)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Texsunburst59, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

I found this on another forum. I thought this might interest people who are chasing Robben Ford's tone.

Robben Ford Clinic On Saturday I had the great privledge of attending a guitar clinic put on by Robben Ford In Ojia California. What a gracious guy he is! There were 25 of us in attendance for the entire day. Robben shared a great deal of information regarding the scales, chord voicings, soloing and rythym techniques he uses. If you have a chance to attend one of these, I highly recomend it. Check out his web site about future events.

Robben played a '66 cherry ES-355 through a '64 Deluxe Reverb. He told me that Dumble worked some magic on the amp to tighten up the bottom end. He also said that he now prefers his Zen Drive to the O/D channel in his Dumble amp. I thought you guys would be interested in that!

2. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

its nice to know one can get tones without selling one's first-born child! But I have a sneaky feeling his preference is just like how all of us operate;

We play with the same tone for so long we long for something different. Different comes along and we can't get enough of it.

I bet the Zendrive is just enough "different" to get RF excited. But I have a feeling its not necessarily better then his Dumble overdrive...just a slight color change.

3. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

LOL

i think tag just shot himself.

4. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

Robben has been saying that about his Zen for the past 2 and a half years now ;) He's been with the Zen for awhile.

I talked to Larry Carlton in June of 2006 and he told me that "Robben has been using this 'Dumble pedal' called the ZenDrive, and he likes it better than the OD channel on his Dumble. He just gave me one, havent had a chance to try it yet though."

Then talked to Larry again in '07, and he agrees. He is using the Zen instead of the OD channel on his dumble or a Super Reverb. Said his Dumble is unreliable and he is always sending it back to Alexander to get it fixed.

5. mude

mude Supporting Member

I would love to have a Dumble or one of the off-shoots around for fun. That being said, for most of the volume situations I have, I find a pedal like the Zendrive to be better. Not just cheaper or more practical, but actually better at low volumes (for me at least). Also, I don't mean just low "bedroom" volume, but I am including normal small gig volumes. We generally mic everything and try to keep the stage volume reasonably low.

Evan.

6. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

The Zen Drive is definitely a very giggable pedal, IMO.

7. Peter van Dorst

Peter van Dorst Member

I have a Fulltone GT500. A month ago I received my Zendrive ( I had been on the waiting list for a long time). I plugged it in and compared it to the GT500. With the GT 500 I could get exactly the same overdrive sounds as the Zendrive! Only the GT500 has better tone controls and more sounds.

8. LilSteve

LilSteve Member

9. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I have owned a Fuchs modded bassman, the unmodded Bassman, a Deluxe Reverb and a zen drive. I would say the zendrive would get you 75% of the tone/feel of the real deal. The amp OD sounds and feels better without a doubt IMO... but I MUCH MUCH MUCH prefer Fender clean tones to the cleans I got from the Fuchs. In this case I like the Fender + zen for its versatility even though the zen is a bit of a compromise compared to the amp OD.

Btw, I also got very similar Dumbly type tones using a bad monkey and a timmy stacked together, both with the gain at noon or less. Of course there's also the Jetter Gain stage red which I havn't played but is supposedly quite good for these type of tones.

10. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

At the Gibson Summer Jam this summer one of the guys playing had a Dumble ODS, had amazing tone. Then a guy came up to play with him and his tone blew me away. It was so much better than the Dumble. I talked to him after the show and asked him what he was playing through. It was an Epiphone Blues Custom and a Zendrive. So we got talking about the Zen, then low & behold up walks Mr. Hermida. We were all shocked at how much better his guitar sounded through a $700 (maybe) setup compared to the real deal $25K+ setup.

11. MrDoty

MrDoty Member

:munch oh crap here we go

12. Axeplyr

Axeplyr Supporting Member

ROFL!

:crazyguy

13. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I have a Zendrive,and I find it (along with a TS808) to be the 'best' sound,recording through Fenders and Gibson guitars,with Fender amps(1965 BF Princeton,1959 5E3 Tweed Deluxe clone,Scumback Speakers)

14. blue_lu

blue_lu Member

I also own a zen and play it with a silverface viborlux reverb... which has the stock jensen10s in it... Its already the best od pedal I own besides my ethos , which is a close second (no TLE mod, YET) I'm kinda thinking about changing the speakers to 1x12 or 2x12 ... to celestion 12-65 to be precise... any thoughts about that?

I thought this might get me more into the dumble land - i just wonder what will happen to my cleans?

15. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

I have a Zendrive on loan and I like it, but I don't love it. It sounds more "pedally" than an OCD, for instance. It's gives me a tone I'm 80% happy with. 80% is not enough.

I'm really suprised that RF likes it better than his Dumble OD, but if he said it, he said it (though it contradicts what he said in the current issue of Guitar Player).

16. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

Hmmmm....what a shame! I like RF's Dumble OD tones MUCH more than his Zendrive/Super tones. That said, I'm currently diggin' my GSR/Badger OD tones over my Fuchs TDS OD tones. So, match the right pedal with the right amp and it can be tough to beat. Interesting thread!

BTW, TAG is NOT going to shoot himself. The Zen/Fender pairing is NOT going to do the Mystic Mile Politician tone he's been after. It seems only a real D-style amp can pull that off.

17. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

Gotta' remember, RF is human and a guitar player, just like us. I'm sure he changes his mind and his gear just as often as we do!

18. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

I've had the same experience, especially with amps like the Badger with Power Scaling. I also like the flexibility of pedal/amp setups. I'm using a Loop Master triple looper to run three OD pedals set up for different gains and levels into an assortment of amps running clean, but on the verge of breakup. Voila' - instant four channel rig, with complete control over Gain, Level and Tone in each channel, plus a whole "master" section (i.e. the amp itself). And, once again, with the right pedal/amp pairings, I find the tones to be better overall...not any kind of compromise, but actually better. And, if you get tired of any particular tone or need something different to cover a new tune or play with a different band, you just swap out a pedal or two and/or change the base tube amp and you're off to the races. Playing at a festival where amps are supplied? No problem. Just bring your pedalboard and guitar and you can get close to the tones and feel you're already used to. Lots of advantages to the pedal/amp configuration!

19. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Interesting thanks for that Tex.

Ah well, Clearly Robbens diggin it.........

Funny I borrowed one for a weekend.......It's a good pedal without doubt, but didn't really do it for me when I compared it to my amp drives. If I had to have an OD pedal it would be on my must have list, but he likes it better than his dumble? Very suprising read.