Zendrive: How Much Gain?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by impactblue, Aug 21, 2008.

1. impactblue

impactblue Member

So how much gain does the Zendrive have compared to say...a Fulldrive II or a Tube Screamer?

I'm just a lil wary that maybe I should have got the Mosferatu instead...just for the lil bit more gain and sustain in case I need it...

2. stratlad

stratlad Member

It has plenty for me (and I have a FD2). I like the Fulldrive but for soloing the Zen seems to give me more control over the notes and their express - it has dirt but doesn't take over the tone too much. I play it vs. the OD playing me. (if that makes any sense).

I've played a Mosferatu (great pedal too - more like an OCD than the Zen) I still prefer the Zen overall but if you want more raunchy chords the FD might be better.

I do find that the Zen seems to like some amps better than others.

3. MartinC

MartinC Member

I need (ok ... want) to fill the spot between where my amp's clean ends and where most of its OD channel gain sits, which is in the classic to heavy rock zone. I checked with a Zendrive owner in Sydney whose opinion I totally trust ... I quote "It's a low gain overdrive so there's not a lot of gain". Hope I haven't thrown you with that, but I figured it would be better to chime in now rather than after you've purchased. I should also say that the bloke I checked with has been an owner for quite a while now and is a strong advocate.

Ordered mine yesterday! :AOK

4. jhumber

jhumber Member

You might get more responses in the Effects forum.

5. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

The Zen I use in combination with a Barber Tone Press>TS-9/808>Zendrive:the combination,leaves most of the guys I know,who use Marshalls,gasping for air...

6. MartinC

MartinC Member

I've heard the same thing elsewhere ... the Zendrive works well in combination with other boosts/drives. And into an already overdriven amp.

7. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

OCD into a Zen is great. The Zen is a lite-medium gainer by itself.
    It sounds best when volume knob is opened up some . . . .that's where the harmonic richness is.

8. shawntp

shawntp Member

Here is a sample I just cut with my les paul, its my les paul into the zendrive.

1st pass ZenDrive is off, 2nd ZD Drive knob is as 3:00, 3rd ZD is at 12:00, 4th ZD is at 3:00, 5th ZD is Maxed.

I find most of the sweetness of the pedal is between 9:00 and 12:00 which I skip right to in this demo for the sake of showing max gain but in that zone is where a lot of character lies - once you get north of 3:00 the drive increase is not terribly noticeable.

www.shawnparslow.com/public/zendrivegain.mp3

9. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

I think it has quite a lot of gain. I can get it to go pretty far into all out distortion teritory with an amp that's already overdriven and I am not maxing anything out. It is also very loud, sends a serious boost to the front end of the amp.

I would love to have a MOS too though.

10. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

I'd say the FD has more gain w/ the boost, etc. I like the ZenDrive better but I do find it's more IDIOSYNCRATIC sound-wise than the FD or an OCD. That's why I lime it better plus the fact that it's so QUIET makes it a good not-too-transparent boost thingamajiggy as well. I love the fact that in low-gain settings, it can be basically a clean sound but w/ lots of oomph and sustain. However, while I think it has enough gain for lots of classic rock and EVH-style stuff (w/ the way I play and my amp, etc), I would venture to guess the Mosferatu should be more to your liking, even though I've never really tried one.

11. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

+1 That was my experience as well. Nice OD pedal, not a lot of gain by itself though

12. shawntp

shawntp Member

I think it gets up there drive wise as a single (no boost) Overdrive ....Zendrive is a great stacker for Med-High gain though.

13. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Moved to proper area.

14. impactblue

impactblue Member

Thanks big mike :tapedshut

15. Sandro

Sandro Member

Here is what you can do put the Gain knob all the way down adjust the rest in a way you do not here any difference when the pedal is on or off, than adjust the Gain knob to the right ammount of Gain.

Sandro

16. impactblue

impactblue Member

I've cancelled my Zendrive order...I think I'm actually after a transparent or a very tweakable overdrive. The search continues! Thanks for all the help guys:)

17. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

Don't get me wrong impactblue, it's pretty "transparent" for an OD. I mean, w/ the voice knob in the lower settings, tone knob not too high, as you turn the the gain knob up it only appears like your clean sound is getting fatter and fatter until you really it's distorted. Very punchy as well. I bet the Mosferatu is somewhat like that but more on the idstortion side of things.

18. impactblue

impactblue Member

Hm...most of the reviews I've heard say that it isn't very transparent, because it gives you the Dumble tone. I was real excited about it because of the Voice knob....thought it would give a great range of tones from that.

19. MartinC

MartinC Member

That's what I've heard in the main too. Which is one of the reasons I think it'll suit me ... planning on using it with a clean and OD channel on my amp, so I'm hoping to get a different kind of OD to what my amp by itself does. One guy, who has the same amp as me (H&K Statesman), summed it up well ...

Zendrive sounds great with Statesman if you don't mind that it change the vibe and characteristic of the amp. It's fantastic with the open (volume 12-->) amp and Tele! It cuts great live and it's definitely one of the best drive pedals out there, very organic and warm. I do prefer more transparent pedals because I'm more about adding than changing but Zendrive is so elegant doing the "change" that it's the keeper!