1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

zendrive like burnunit/howie?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by QOTSA, Oct 1, 2006.

1. QOTSA

QOTSA Senior Member

I heard the zendrive is supposed to be somewhat dumble like. Ive had
    the barber burn unit and menatone howie and though very good ended up
    not keeping them. Will the zen be pretty much the same thing. Anyone
    compare them side by side? I read someone said it was the closest pedal
    they heard to a CJOD and from what Ive heard of the CJOD clips it didnt
    sounds like the burnunit or howie.

2. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

This is probably only mildly helpful (if that), but I had a 5 knob Howie, and I currently have a Zendrive. I was not a fan of the 5 knob Howie. It had a very squishy attack which I had heard is characteristic of a Dumble, but it wasn't for me.

I like the Zendrive, however, very much. The "Voice" control allows you to dial in some squishiness in the attack, or make sure that it's completely gone.

I really wouldn't characterize the two as similar either. The Howie worked best at lower gain levels. When you pushed the gain on the pedal, or pushed it with a compressor or booster, it really sounded like it was under stress, like it was starting to distort in an unintended, nonmusical way. The Zendrive will take a little more before it starts to sound like that.

If I were not aware that people compared both of these pedals to the same amp (one which I've never played or heard, nor could I pick out on a recording), I would never think to associate the Howie with the Zendrive. I don't think they sound any more alike than any random two boutique overdrives.

I have no experience with the 6 knob or 4 knob Howie, nor the Burn Unit.

3. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

I have a BU, BU EQ and a ZD and I do not associate the Barber with the Hermida. To me the ZD sounds like no other pedal.

4. stratneck

stratneck Member

I had a Zen,sold it, I play at bedroom levels so , din't do it for me.Then Zen, sounds at it's best!!! when the amp is just at the point of
    break up,and loud.
    My best dumble tones, a la Robben Ford,were aquiered from a
    Cactus Crunch,on a clean chanel, so imagine on a hot amp?
    my 0.2:)

PS: The CJOD,and the ZEN....totally diferent pedals, the Jones cover
    HUGE territory, but dosen't nail the Zen's.

5. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

yeah! isn't the cactus bad ass??!! got me one of doze Donnerboxes!!:AOK

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The Zendrive is a low gain OD that sounds great. Some compression, nice EQ, works well into my clean amps (Vox and Fenders). NOthing like the Burn Unit, which is much more compressed and much higher gain. ACtually the BU is more like the MOsferatu. I've been using a TS9 into BU in church, recently switched to Zen into Mos...

7. RobertS.

RobertS. Member

Glad to hear that! I just bought one off a Gearpage member ( a pretty blue one......the pedal that is , not the member:)). Can't wait to try it out!

8. stratneck

stratneck Member

I been saying that all a long, The CC is a sleeper!!!!!!:AOK

9. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

it will take off though!!:cool:

10. QOTSA

QOTSA Senior Member

Thanks guys. I heard a clip of the CC and it sounded terrible so I lost interest. I may need to check one out in person so I can see for myself but it didnt sound anything like dumble. More harsh than smooth.

11. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

oh it can sound harsh, not a plug and play pedal, i really had to mess with bass and treble a lot to smooth it out, now for smoothness, it comes close to the zen with more drive.

12. stratneck

stratneck Member

+1 on that!!!:AOK

13. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

word!:dude

14. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

i had one of the 6-knob howies and a zendrive at the same time for a while. they weren't world apart, but i ended up keeping the zendrive. the zendrive had more of the dumble chirp on the attack, and the voice knob allowed you to dial in a lot of low-mid fatness. the howie could a very good smooth dumbly overdrive, but the zen just seemed to work better with my rig. (check out the musictoyz video of the howie to see what it can do). i could never get mine to sound quite like that video, but different amp/guitar might be it.

also, with a higher-output pickup i find there is lots of gain on tap with either pedal. it's not the cok-rock marshall kind of gain, but lots of grind.

anyway, both good pedals. i just thought the zendrive was closer to what i hear from my two-rocks (my basis for a dumble comparison).

15. DaSkip

DaSkip Member

Dang, I should to try one. :jo

16. guitardude5

guitardude5 Member

I had a Zendrive 2 and a Howie at the same time. I had a couple very experienced players check them both out, and them along with myself favored the Howie (6 knob). It was smoother than the Zen2. I guess it depends on what type of D sound you are after. If you like that grainier Tiger Walk tone then maybe the Zen is for you. I found with the Howie I was able to get closer to a Handful of the Blues tone. I ultimately sold them both in favor of just using my Fuchs amp. I thought it would be cool to have a sound like that with a smaller setup with my Super Champ, but I figured... nah. I'll just use the amp to get close to those tone. I tried the Zen2 and Howie through the following setups: Rivera Rake head & 2 x 1x12 Mesa 3/4 back cabs, Super Champ, Naylor SC38 1x12, and Fuchs TDS 50 to a 2x12 Fuchs cab. The Howie took it through all the amps.

I also bought a Burn Unit EQ and sold it the next day. Sorry, it wasn't for me. Again, it was a little too grainy.

17. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

I've had just about every overdrive out there save the CJOD, Landgraff, and the Eternity. None of the Dumble-in-a-pedal pedals work well with V30's to my ears. But they all seem to sound great in their own way with greenbacks and 1265's. I'm still trying to find pedals that sound cool into a clean amp with V30's. YMMV

18. johan

johan Member

I find the Cactus Crunch to be low gain. Not as much gain as the Zendrive. Had to play with the bass and treble knobs. Ended up with bass around 4-5 oclock. The clean boost setting is somewhat close to a Klon.
    I like the semi dirty tone. Gain close to full don't give me a Dumble tone but still a great dirt-box. Takes some time getting used to but well worth it.

Had a CJOD and LOVED it but had to sell. Very dynamic, punchy low/mid gain tonesLots of *zzingg* in the strings. AMAZING! The Zendrive is not anything like it but just as good. The old Howie was good but sounded artificial-Dumble to me. :)

19. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I have owned both pedals, and still have the ZenDrive.
    Great pedal for the price, and works with alot of amps.
    My current fave D*mble style OD is the Barber LTD. With my Tone King Meteor II head/212 cab rig, this little pedal takes that clean signal and just makes it sing with sustain/definition/touch sensitivity.
    One of those classic matchups...and I do prefer it to my ZenDrive with this rig.

S.
    j