Zendrive Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rick0, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Rick0

Rick0 Member

2. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I've spent a lot of money on pedals this year, almost all have been either duds or outright awful, only two have turned out to be very very good, the Zendrive is one of those two, the other being the Little Green Wonder. :AOK :AOK :AOK

By the way, though they are often reviewed highly when paired up with Fender blackface amps, and that's very true, But I'm loving it with a plexi Marshall as well, almost more.

3. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

I love my Fulldrive (in comp cut mode) with my Rambler, but I'm considering getting a Zendrive too.

4. journo

journo Member

Hi Rick,

I've only had my ZD for a few weeks so I'm still in the honey moon phase, but I use it with every guitar I have with good results. Even my archtop.

For a sound clip of this please see this thread:
    http://thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=116042

Cheers,

Mats N

5. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I'm not a big pedal guy, but I picked one up a couple of months ago, and have been extremely happy with it. It's a VERY useful pedal, and it has earned it's "Dumble in a Box" moniker, IMO...

6. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

I've had mine for about 2 weeks. LOVE it!:AOK :AOK :AOK :AOK

7. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

+1 for the Zendrive

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Sorry...fuzzy headed today, I probably ought to know but, WHAT is an "RC Booster"?

Who makes it?

9. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

I have a Zendrive as well, and it's a GREAT pedal, with a well deserved reputation. A keeper for sure. The other pedal that has been garnering a LOT of my attention lately, is my recently arrived 10th Anniversary Full-Drive2 Mosfet Edition. It does a LOT of the things that the Zendrive does, plus it has a boost function. My only wish regarding the Zendrive is that is was two channels or it had a boost function, as it has SO many great sounds in it, it's hard to know where to set it all the time.
    BOTH pedals are great, and have found their way on to my pedal board.

Chuck

10. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

I am interested in the FDII Mos as well. The Zen to me is great as it is. If he made it with a boost built in it would be twice as much. This way, you can use your own boost, whichever you prefer. Not sure how the FDII boost sounds, but seems like that would limit you a bit. Wonder if he'll ever make a FDII without the boost? May sound better with a different boost in front?

11. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

That's a good lookin pedal!

Anyone know the current wait time on Zendrives?

12. hemlock

hemlock Guest

I use a Zendrive and had a Rambler for a couple of weeks. The Zendrive sounds really good through the Rambler. The Rambler is sparkly enought that the Zendrive sounds very clear and articulate with the amp. Very good combination, IMHO.

13. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Member

I've just had my Zen for a few days, but so far it is certainly living up the all the good things that have been said about it. Compared to my Timmy it has more gain, and better character in the higher gain settings. It is less transparent, w/ more midrange content (not a bad thing at all). It's also more sustainy... with more of saturated character. The Voice knob is a great touch that makes it very flexable...sounds good with everything I've tried it with so far.

Two other things: w/ the new silver faceplate I have to say this is the most elegant looking pedal on my board, and Alf is a class act that will go the extra mile for you.

Aaron

14. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

Folks, I have been reading that the zendrive does not clean up too well with the guitar volume pot..... Anyone else notice this?

thanks

15. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

I have a Zendrive, TIM and OCD on my board, which I use mostly in front of my Rambler. All of these pedals have very different tones and all are great. It's also cool to combine them. I'm picking up an RC Booster this week to add to the mix. A friend broght over an RMC3 last week and the combination KILLED! Can't wait to get one of those, too.

16. diatonicdude

diatonicdude Member

Geageandleo,

You probably read that in the Guitar Player review. I do not agree, as in fact it does the opposite with my guitars!! I am sure others will comment.

Cheers,

DD

17. Rick0

Rick0 Member

18. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

I have, but it cleans up real good when you click it into "bypass":) Not being a smartass, but I run my amp clean to on the verge of breakup, so I just use the pedal as a strict on/off type thing...I don't care for most pedals in that respect, I usually judge the dynamics more from how it cleans up with regards to pick attack (or fingers). It does excel at that!