Zendrive or BB Preamp ??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by strat64, Jun 8, 2006.

1. strat64

strat64 Member

Right now I 'm using RC Booster with Analogman TS9 Silver mod to get a singing tone out of my Fender Jimmie Vaughan Signature Strat through reissue 59 Bassman . I really like RC Booster .It does a great job pushing up my TS9 Silver upfront but recentry I begin to annoying with my ts9 Silver's midrangey sound for a little bit. I like the compression which any Over Drive type of pedal provides. TS9 Silver is really a high quality pedal , but it's not for my taste .
    By the way ,I love the tone of Doyle Bramhall II (from ArcAngels every solo albams and all those session works including Eric Clapton , Roger Waters , Susan Tedesch , Our New Orleans etc)
    I'm also into early Peter Green stuff too.
    I hear a lot of nice things about Zendrive and BB Preamp and I think I'm getting either one to replace my TS9 Silver . Are they sounds similar each other ? Which one fits better with Fender ? Any suggestion? Thanks

2. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

I wouldn't imagine they sound similar at all. I had a BB, and I've heard the clips of the Zendrive (I am on the list) and it just seems apples oranges.

If you're looking for TS9 style of pedal without the midhump, I'd suggest a Homebrew Electronics Powerscreamer.

That and / or an Xotic AC boost.

Just my 2 cents there.

3. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

Apples and Oranges comparison between the Zen and BB. I own both. The Zen has a smooth medium level overdrive with a nice Mid thing happening - Dumblish, can get some Robben Ford Like tones out of them . Go to Hermida Audio's website to hear some clips.

The BB has a bit more gain on tap and can get a really warm fat crunch going, think more Marshallesque, which might be a nice match to your Bassman. Go to Xotic's website to hear and watch some video samples.

Other things to consider, you'll have a longer wait if your order a Zendrive - not a problem for some, otherwise the going e-Bay rate is in the $300 range. Conversley there were a few BB preamps in the emporium within the last week going for about $140 on average.

4. Tweeker

Tweeker Supporting Member

I use the Zen and have had the BB. I second the opinion that the AC is closer to a TS9 than both of these pedals.

5. strat64

strat64 Member

I have tried AC Booster before , yes it sounds a lot like TS but I think I'm looking for something defferrent . Something more cruncy , shiny and fat sound in a gentle way. Maybe the BB preamp will fits my need .
    I 've never heard the Powerscreamer ...

6. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

From listening to the Zen's clips, it sounds closer to the PedalworX Tour Pro Toggle and the MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe, or more likely somewhere in between the two.

7. svanangen

svanangen Member

I have both on my board. They cover different ground.

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

You might look into the Foxrox Zim-the replaceably cards give you a lot of flexibility in the sounds you can access, it's much quieter than stacking 2 ODs and the semi-parametric EQ on the red channel means you can dial out the mid-hump if you're using a TS style card (so you can have the compression without the EQ thing). I've got a pair of HS9 cards in mine, and it's bumped two FDIIs, a Barber Tone Pump, stacked assorted other ODs off my board, and seriously reduced my use of the Burn Unit-it's that good.

9. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Another nod for the ZIM. I've tried four of the cards: H9, B9, CS, and VT. Not a loser in the bunch. If you can't find a flavor that works for you yer just not tryin'. My fav's: H9 and VT. The notch filter on the B channel is genius.
    A

10. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

+1 for both. Both are great, just different.