Zendrive or Eternity?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 20forSeven, Nov 10, 2005.

1. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

Both the Zendrive and Eternity get nothing but praise but I rarely see people mention them within the same thread. Are these pedals similar? From some of the clips I have heard the pedals sound similar. Which pedal has more sustain and if you have played both then which one would you keep if you could only have one? Also is the LGW in the same league as these pedals?

2. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

the Eternity has more sustain and gain on tap.

Zendrive is more of a midboost, low gain od.

never tried the LGW, but i know its a TS style od

3. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

I have all three: Zendrive, Eternity, and LGW.

I can use any of those pedals with several guitars (Strats, Les Paul, Gretsch, 335-style, etc.), and three different amps (AC30, Meteor II, and Germino Ld. 55).

So, if you want me to try out some combo of the above for you and give you some comments about the sound, let me know.

Jeff

4. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Supporting Member

i have the eternity and LGW (and am hoping to try a zendrive soon). from what i've heard and read, they are all going to give you different flavors of overdrive.

the eternity has a great classic rock kind of feel, and has a very vocal quality to it, probably due to the treble boost that can be blended in. it seems to have the most activity in the upper mids, but still stays relatively smooth.

the LGW is pretty interesting. as bjorn says, it's a tubescreamer for people who don't like tubescreamers. well, that's me. i tried every ts9 mod out there and couldn't find one that worked for me. the LGW manages to get a very tubescreamer-ish sound, but works better for my ears. it's not as compressed and you can dial in or out a lot of bass and low mids to meet your needs. so basically, this is a very open sounding tubescreamer.

the zendrive apparently does a good dumble sound, which i take to mean lower-gain, but very smooth overdrive.

i could certainly see using all three, but then again i tend to have too many overdrives around anyway :)

5. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

What's the LGW your refering to? Who makes it? site?
    thanks guess I don't get out enough lol

6. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

It's the BJF Little Green Wonder

7. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

Thanks for the responses, Jeff I play a Les Paul Custom through a Marshall DSL100 Half Stack I will be buying an Eternity as soon as they are being sold again. Do you think the Eternity will work well in this setup. I play classic rock and Blues mostly. Also would the little green wonder be a good partner for the eternity or would a dyna red be a better fit.

8. jcshirke

Les Paul/Eternity/Marshall is a great combo, imo. It's *very* classic rock/blues sounding. It's really a perfect fit. There are other pedals that will fit the bill, too, of course, but the Eternity will sound great.

I've never tried the LGW with my Les Paul/Germino. I'll give it a shot, though. I really, really like the LGW with my Strat into an AC30. I just got the pedal recently, so I haven't had a chance to experiment too much.

Did you want me to stack the pedals or try the LGW/Eternity independently?

I don't own a Dyna Red, but I can try to give you as much feeback on the LGW as possible. I'll compare it to the Eternity using the same set up (Les Paul/Germino).

My hunch is that the pedals are sufficiently different that you'd prob. love to have both. ;)

Jeff

9. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

The way I would probably run the pedals would be to use one as a medium gain and one higher gain, then if I needed a boost I would stack them. I'm not sure which would be medium gain and which would be higher gain, but I would have to mess around with each and see which works best for each sound. Also would the zendrive be a better choice to compliment the eternity using it for lower gains and the E for higher gains?

10. jcshirke

Most likely you'd use the Eternity for higher gain stuff and the LGW (or Zendrive) for medium or lower gain. I really don't know if the Zendrive would complement the Eternity better than the LGW. It'll take a bit of experimenting. It also depends on the type of sound you're going for. The LGW is Tube-screamer-ish, but isn't a TS clone, if that makes sense. The Zendrive is very smooth and a bit darker. My guess is that the LGW might be better for you, since it strikes me as a great pedal for blues.