Zendrive or Zendrive2 - which do you like better?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Clifford-D, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Just a silly little curiosity I've had

Zendrive or Zendrive2

What do you prefer?

I have the Zendrive2

But I've always been curious.

2. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

I liked the Zendrive 2 better. THought it sounded sweeter. I owned both 2 different times and could never figure out how to get a sound I liked out of the Zendrive. Different amps, different guitars.....just couldn't get it to work for me.

3. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Zen,the original works for me.Amazing what it does in an ensemble.

4. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

I recently compared both. They BOTH sound great and do the RF - LC "D" thing very well. The Zendrive seems a little more "raspy" on the top end than the Zen 2. The Zen 2 is thicker and smoother at lower gain settings, and was my preferred pedal for that "just on the edge" stuff. The Zen 2 seems more articulate and touch sensitive at lower gain settings than the original Zendrive. I preferred the "voicing" set lower on the Zendrive and higher on the Zen 2. The Zendrive sounds a feels a little more like a pedal, and the Zen 2 sounds and feels a little more like an extension of the amp. I didn't notice as much bass loss with the Zen 2, but noticed a bit with the Zendrive. (not a lot, but noticeable)

BOTH pedals are great. Prefer the Zen 2 though.

:)

5. jellyfishstu

jellyfishstu Member

I like the original zen. Both are great, but the original sounds great with my music man.

6. GGE

GGE Member

I attended a Robben Ford clinic (which was great by the way) and when we talk about gear, he discussed Dumble (of course) and his new guitar. One interesting comment from him was "I'm using the Zendrive. I like it beter than the Dumble drive channel and I don't know why". Robben recently turned Sonny Landredth onto the Zendrive which he loves. I think they mostly use this when they travel and can't bring their Dumble amps.

I thought is was interesting at least.

I finally received my Zendrive and so far, it rocks!

7. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

I saw Robben Ford play at Dimitriou's Jazz Alley (Seattle) on the 20th of September. He was using his Tan Dumble head and matching 2 x 12 loaded with the reissue Celestion G12-65's, and his blackface Super Reverb rig. I saw him in March of this year at the Moore Theatre in Seattle with Larry Carlton where both players used the Super Reverb - Twin Reverb rig with their respective Zendrives. Robben used the same guitars for both shows. Tele, Sakashta, and for the Jazz Alley gig he added the P-90 equipped Gold Top as well.
    BOTH tones (Super Reverb - Zendrive and Dumble - Super Reverb with no Zendrive) are spectacular, but both are quite different. The Super Reverb - Zendrive combination produces more of a singing top end (more highs as well) and less note bloom from the lows and mids. There is also less low end and mid presence with the Zendrive. The Zendrive does sound great, and it really kicks the Super Reverb over the top when engaged.
    With that said, IMHO I preferred the Dumble - Super Reverb combination (no Zendrive obviously) by quite a margin. The way the notes bloom from the lows to the high mids is quite stunning, and although there are ample highs, they sound more like high mids, than "actual" highs. The tonal trade off between the lows and the highs is spectacular, and it seems like he stays on the lower strings a little longer with the Dumble rig, than with the Super Reverb - Zendrive rig. (i.e works the lower notes a bit more) The Dumble rig seems more balanced from low to high, as well as being tighter in the bass. The Zen - Super Reverb combination also seems to have a bit of a "rasp" to it that I don't hear with the Dumble.
    I had a chance to talk to Robben Ford's tech Daved after the show, and I asked him about the two different rigs. He (Daved) stated that if Robben had his choice he would use the Dumble head - 2 x 12 cabinet - Super Reverb combination 100% of the time as that's what he preferes to play through not only for tone but feel as well. With that said, Daved also said that when the Dumble rig is not feasable (or broken) Robben has NO problem using the Zendrive - Super Reverb combination, and is VERY grateful to Alf for coming up with the Zendrive. Daved further stated that the Zendrive - Super Reverb combination has given them a lot more options (regarding touring) and has allowed them to offer a VERY viable tonal alternative to those expecting to hear the Dumble. Like I stated earlier, having heard both, I do prefer the Dumble, but I would have no problem hearing Robben Ford use the Zendrive - Super Reverb rig anytime.

:)

8. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

With my G&L ASAT and my Fender Blues Deluxe I get that classic Fender tone.

The choice of an od pedal that compliments and doesn't rob this fundamental tone
    has been difficult.
    Most TS style pedals are too over the top. The Analogman TS gave me a Texas tone
    but that was it. I couldn't dial it in for the more subtle sound I wanted.
    I came across the Greenline by SPF (Smart People Factory) this is a great pedal
    more subtle than the Analogman or the Keeley TS, it can handle complex chords
    and still scream when playing single notes.

I like the idea of cascading ods, so I came across the Bad Monkey, very cool, this became a nice od boost for the Greenline. But it didn't stand on its own, it remained the cascading od boost. Until I got the word that my Zen2 was now available.
    I jumped on it after a two year wait.
    As it turns out, the Greenline reversed its role and is now the od boost for the Zen2.
    The Zen2 easily stands on its own, surprisingly, with both pedals on the Zen2 maintains its tone very well. The Greenline compliments the Zen2 perfectly.
    The other way, with the Zen2 pumping into the Greenline sounds aweful. Don't know why, doesn't matter,he Greenline pumping into the Zen2 is great, way better than the Bad Monkey combo.

I have no idea yet how this pedal arrangement sounds on other amps. Someday I would like to upgrade to a Two Rock or Bruno UG30. Will the pedals still sound as good? I'll cross thay bridge when I get to it.
    For now I've taken the ordinary Fender tone and sculpted a wonderfully screamming
    tone in the style of Ford and Scofield. (the Greenline alone is my Sco tone)
    I'm happy.

9. innocent_bystander

innocent_bystander Supporting Member

I haven't tried a Zendrive 2. But i'm happy with my Zendrive...

10. fatfingers

fatfingers Silver Supporting Member

Had both....kept the Zen2. Both great pedals though!