Zendrive Price Increase

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dmbandtimmy, Mar 11, 2006.

1. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

I assume that the price increase will be for people who put their names on the list after 3/9, but I was just checking to see if anyone had spoken to Alf about it. I'm not mad about the increase, just want to make sure that those who got on the list prior to 3/9 will be charged the original price :) Thanks!

:jo:D:AOK:NUTS:eek::dude:RoCkIn:horse:(:confused::BEER:MMM

2. Franklin

Franklin Member

Well........ that sucks for me since I have not bought one yet, I'm on the list too.

3. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

I had to pay up front to get on the list for the Zendrive. Has that changed?

Been waiting it out since mid December. Shouldn't be too much longer.

4. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

When I ordered mine last month you didn't have to pre pay. So hopefully I will get it for the old price :)

5. Franklin

Franklin Member

Maybe that's why we didn't have to pre-pay.....

6. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

my buddy ordered his from a dealer, he had to prepay, I ordered mine directly from alf (before the increase) and did not have to prepay. it will be interesting to see how it plays out, because the way I see it, alf would be within his rights to charge his current price when the pedal is done if a customer didn't put down a deposit.

7. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

slowburn wrote:

"because the way I see it, alf would be within his rights to charge his current price when the pedal is done if a customer didn't put down a deposit."

I would have to respectfully disagree with this. Even if money has not changed hands, there is an understood contract between those of us on the waiting list and Alf. He advertised the pedal at a specific price, and based on that price, we agreed to buy one. The fact that he has chosen not to require a deposit (which is really cool, by the way!), in no way changes the nature of that agreement. Nor does the subsequent price increase. If his site stated that no deposit was required, but that putting down a deposit would insure against future price hikes, we would have had the option. However, no such option was offered.

I don't blame him for raising the price - Zendrives are flying out of eBay at over $200 each. Also, increasing the price should cut back on the demand a little and shorten the waiting list. Hopefully for him, he can sell less units and make more money, and more power to him if he can. He makes a fine product that is in demand.

For myself, if I am told that I must pay a higher than agreed to price, I will have to cancel my order on principle. Hopefully this will not be the case, as I am really jonesing for this pedal.

8. slowburn

well I guess we have to agree to disagree, (and don't get me wrong, I like you hope that the increase doesn't affect my order, but don't think I'd cancel my order on principal).

9. zoemunchkinpro

zoemunchkinpro Member

Yeah I am on the list for a Zendrive 2 and a Moferatu... I'm really jonesing for these pedals too... I wish there was some kind of way you could know how far down the list you are and approximately how long it will be before you get your pedals... it is so hard waiting and not knowing...sometimes I even fear what if he lost your name and you are waiting for nothing...

10. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

When I originally inquired back in December, I recieved an email with all the details. Part of it was this...

"Once I receive payment, I add you to the list. After the pedal is shipped
    you have a couple of days to check it out."

The email also mentioned specifically that the Zendrive 2 did not require prepayment to get on the list. So, I paid Alf up front and got on the list for a regular Zen. This may have changed though from the time I ordered mine.

11. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

He must of changed it. This is the email I got.
    HOW TO ORDER:
    > * Send me an email indicating the pedal(s) you're interested in. I'll
    > add you to that waiting list.
    > *I will email you when the unit is close to ready so you can pay.
    > * After payment is received, the pedal is shipped. You have a couple of
    > days to check it out.

I hope he will honor the old price :) I'll probably just send him a quick email. I just thought I would check
    here first to see if someone had already done so. I thought about checking with him first, but I know he's busy and gets a lot of
    emails.

12. drolling

drolling Member

When I got mine last year, I paid up front w/PayPal, as I have always done w/every builder except Paul C.

I'm no lawyer, but a waiting list isn't a contract, and $179 is still on the cheap side when compared to most one-man operations (EXCEPT Paul C. & Michael at MI Audio who're practically giving their stuff away). At the time I got my Zendrive, the wait was about one month, and the only waiting list he had going was for the Z'Drive 2, which wasn't in production yet.

I've been on a list for an Echoczar for a long, long time, and wouldn't be surprised if the price goes up before I get the call. Everything else goes up - even the takeout restaurant menus in my drawer all say *prices subject to change without notice*.

When I see what these pedals are going for used, I think I'd be happy to just pay the extra 29 bucks.

13. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Apparently he has more than one email according to who you are. Mine said to prepay and I did. The next thing I know I see a copy of a different email on this forum saying that person didn't have to prepay. But, who am I? I agree, the orders placed before the change were just that and he should honor the deal that was on the table at the time.

I will say this, I do expect to get my pedal for exactly what I paid and no more.

14. ahermida

ahermida Member

Let me offer some details:

1) All orders either prepaid or that are on the waiting list before the 3/9/06 date will be at the old price. New orders go at the new price.

2) Initially orders had to be prepaid but I changed that policy some time ago because of the long wait...some people are not comfortable prepaying and waiting so long.

3) I know that some units are going for incredible prices on Ebay - I don't base my prices on that. I base it on the current cost to get these units done right and sent out the door.

Alf

15. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

16. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

And by the same token, you would be required to buy the pedal when your turn came up, even if you changed your mind/couldn't afford it/ no longer played guitar/were injured, etc., right?

17. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Please make some more Z2's. Thank you.:)

18. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

Alf! Thanks for clearing that up! Looking foward to getting my Zen :)

19. baald

baald Member

nah. the point is moot, as Al is giving people who are on the list before 3/9 the old price, but i'm chuckling to myself about people who seem to think that being on a list gives one a right to a certain price. It jsut gives one a place in line, no more, no less. You shjould see what the big-name acoustic luthiers' policies are. Yuou're looking at a multi year wait. you have to buy your place in line. and the price you'll be charged is for what the going rate at time of actual construction is.

Now, prepays are an entirely different story -- money has changed hands and an agreement to deliver is implied. But look at it this way: say you get a place in line, don't make a payment/deposit or do anything else to offset the builders cost or give them the ability to buy materials (or services, for what they may farm out) at the time you get on the list; then while you're on the list the builder's cost of production goes way up forcing him to raise prices. *why* should they give you the product at the old price??? there may be builders/manufacturers who do so, but that means nothing other than that they have a big heart. If anything, it's a *privelege* that some builders extend to people, to give them a place on a waiting list, without a deposit or prepay.

20. slowburn

exactly. now go out, have a beer, and unbunch your panties, people.