Zendrive question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SFT, Jul 28, 2015.

1. SFT

SFT Member

I have a Zendrive and it's supposedly true bypass, but I'll be damned if my tone doesn't sound way better when I'm plugged straight into my amp vs. through the bypassed Zendrive.

abnerfm likes this.
  2. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Member

You may be right about that, but how is your guitar, amp and pedal set? different guitars, amps need different pedal settings

3. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

It IS true bypass, but that doesn't solve the problem. When the Zendrive is on, it's buffering everything after it in your signal chain, so there's no tone suck from cables, pedals that are off, tuners and so on. When you turn it off, you lose that buffer. You can solve the problem with a buffered overdrive or by leaving it on all the time.

abnerfm likes this.
  4. jay42

jay42 Member

I was just trying to offer a cable explanation elsewhere....Basically, if your cable is longer than about 20 feet, you start to lose high end, regardless of manufacturer. If you plug into your amp with a 20' cable, life is good. If you plug into your Zendrive, and another 20' cable, then you are rolling a lot of highs off and the Zendrive is just a junction box.

abnerfm and Phletch like this.
  5. SFT

SFT Member

Guitar --zendrive-- vintage '68 Princeton Reverb w/ 12" speaker. It's a clear difference when I plug in without the zendrive.

abnerfm likes this.
  6. SFT

SFT Member

I'm talking about when the pedal is off. There's a noticeable different (for the worse) in tone vs. when the pedal is not in the circuit.

7. SFT

SFT Member

I'm running 2- 20 foot coiled lava cables. maybe that's the cause of the problem?

8. jay42

jay42 Member

Yes...it's not a problem, just reality. If you have the stomach and search on threads about buffers, you'll have reached the next level of enlightenment. btw, the coiling has nothing to do with it.

If you had two 10' cords and a 20' cord, then you could do the test you thought you had done.

Phletch likes this.
  9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Cables would be my guess. Do you have a boost pedal or overdrive you can set to sound just like your guitar, no gain? Run that turned on and see if it solves the problem. If so, then you need some kind of buffer before or after the Zendrive.

10. hipfan

hipfan Member

Are you testing 20 feet of cable without the pedal vs. 40 feet of cable with the pedal? If so, the answer is obvious.

abnerfm, Phletch and coltonius like this.
  11. SFT

SFT Member

I have 2 10' cords, I'll try that and see how it sounds.

12. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

Yeah, an always on buffer should cure the suck. Put a Boss pedal in there. :cool:

abnerfm and Phletch like this.
  13. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Member

Can you try with 2 10's (guitar cable) and see if it is any better? or any combination involving less cable. Flat EQ the amp, pedal and guitar. Princetons are bright amps, teles are bright guitars.

Jim Campilongo goes direct tele to Princeton on "10" for a reason; it sounds great. He uses his tele volume for clean to mean. Done.

abnerfm and SFT like this.
  14. SFT

SFT Member

Tried it with a Guitar ---> 20' cable ---> Zendrive ---> 10' cable ----> Amp.

Marginal, but some loss of treble with the Zendrive in the circuit.

15. jay42

jay42 Member

The deal is this -- if the 10' cables aren't the exact same wire as the 20' cable, then it's apples to oranges. Plus...the connections plug - jack - switch - jack - plug are not ideal. I think the cable TV people run into this a lot, where every splitter and junction kills 2dB of level. It is possible that the jacks on the Zendrive could use cleaning. My warning is that I've got a couple of cans of industrial contact cleaner and they kill powder coat finishes. I have to be careful where I use them. I think the Caig Deoxit products are safer for finishes.

SFT likes this.
  16. OverdriveLover

OverdriveLover Supporting Member

only way to even compare is

one 20' cable with no pedal
    two 10' cables with pedal off

steveb and SFT like this.
  17. SFT

SFT Member

Thanks, didn't even think of that!

18. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

One of the things I carry in my gig bag is a 1/4" female to 1/4" female adaptor, which I use in the unlikely event of a pedal failing, and my needing to take it out of the circuit. This has never happened at a gig or session, but "Be Prepared."

At any rate it would be interesting to see what you thought when connecting the cables in series without the pedal using an adaptor like this.

19. Phletch

Phletch Member

This. It has nothing to do with the pedal. It has everything to do with more cable and no buffer.

abnerfm likes this.
  20. SFT

SFT Member

Could someone explain the purpose of a buffer in the signal? I was under the impression that a buffered pedal (i.e., not true bypass) = tone suck. Clearly I may have misunderstood something along the way.

abnerfm likes this.