Zendrive-type pedal for s/c guitars?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Paul Conway, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Hi

I'm luck enough to own a zendrive, which sounds great with the p90's on my Reverend Slingshot, but less so with a strat. I want to minimise the stuff I lug around and don't really want to carry two overdrives, so can anyone suggest a pedal that's a) not ridiculously expensive and b) will give me that fat, Zen+high-output pickup sound from a strat?

cheers

paul

2. giggedy

giggedy Member

I would like to know this as well, I've got a zen and a strat is my main guitar. I wonder how the GSR is with single coils?

3. Tuberoast

Tuberoast Silver Supporting Member

I have a GSR on the way. I play a Fender into a Fender..I'll chime in after some play time

4. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Gain Stage Red or Gain Stage Gold.

5. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

+1 on GSR (don't know GSG).

6. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Consider pushing the Zen with a good boost like a Katana, RC, Fat Boost.

I am one of the earliest and longest-term GSR users around here, and over a 8-9 month haul, the Zen wins for me. The very things that attracted me to the GSR -- thick mids, compressed horn-like feel -- turned out to be the very things that turned me off to it - compared to the Zen. In extended side-by-side use with SC's, the GSR ended up sounding congested and lacked the clear punch of the Zen. Plus the GSR never worked for me for chords - the Zen does.

To be clear - both are great pedals and the differences are slight. I'd still own both if I didn't need the GSR funds to buy a second Zen ;)

So be sure to try pushing the Zen with a hotter signal, and maybe that will work for you as it does for me.

7. giggedy

giggedy Member

I was trying that a lot last night going KOT>Zen. I'll try a couple other combo's tonight and chime back in. The KOT>Zen was great, it had the base tone of the KOT and then the punch and clarity of the Zen. I do feel as though it lost a little of the warmth that the KOT has by itself or when it's after the Zen.

8. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

cool, guys. keep it coming...

9. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

i use my zendrive with a strat and LOVE the tone.

click the link in my sig to hear it on our myspace tunes. the last one has some good zen content.

ive never once though the zendrive sounded bad with single coils, yet i hear all the time that people dont like it with singles....

??

10. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

+1.

11. guitarb

guitarb Member

I agree with BillyK....GSR just didn't do it for me and my strats. I'm going to give the Barber Burn unit a try..heard some good things about it's performance with coils.

12. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

I was just going to suggest a Barber Small Fry......basically a 1 channel Burn Unit, but with much more totally flexibility, due to the internal trimmers.

I really like the Zen......but not with single coils.....and the SF scratches that itch, IMO.

Ethos, too......but that's quite a step up, size and $$$$ wise.

- Jim

13. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

+100 thats the ticket for me with some very low output bright SC's. i can attest to the RC being awesome as well as my barber LTD for this stacking..i have plenty of room with the zen at that point to dial in all kinds of fat tones..doing it this way ive never had any of the problems people claim when using singles..i also bought it for that specifically as i wasnt necessarily after ford,carlton tones to start..that i knew of at least?

ill add the SC neck pickup helps too..

14. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

+2 :AOK

15. jb1911

jb1911 Member

My favorite Zendrive-type pedal for single coils is the Zendrive. I like it better with my Strats and Teles than I do with my LP Deluxe. The GSR is also a great pedal, I could live with either one.

16. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I suppose its possible you've never tried the zen with humbuckers because if you did you might realize something is missing when you go back to single coils. That's the way it was for me anyway. The zen didn't sound bad with single coils it just sounded better with HB's. Using a boost in front might be a good way to recapture the mojo. Also I found the zen worked best with the strat bridge pickup with the tone rolled off.

Tha said, I didn't like it for rhythm with any pickups though. I guess I'm a marshall guy at heart. When I think distorted rhythm I think "AC/DC" not Robben Ford.

17. giggedy

giggedy Member

what kind of a booster in front? my options are ts9w/gain all the way down, tri-boost, and kot.

18. Kingpin

Kingpin Member

Bazactly!

The Zen sounds great with single coils (I love it with my Tele), and when I think of artists that are known to play a Zendrive--they are usually single coil players!

19. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

20. giggedy

giggedy Member

I put the tri-boost before the zen, and it was nice. I turned the volume of the boost way up, and got some really good tones.