1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

ZenDrive users......

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nsriley, Jan 27, 2006.

1. nsriley

nsriley Member

Got my ZenDrive last night after a 2-3 month wait. YAY! Haven't had a lotta time with it yet, but my initial thoughts are WOW! What a sweet voice YET transparent enough to let my guitar sound through, vocal like OD! It's like a great tube amp! Anyways I wondered if other users might like to share their setup they use with it, as in guitar, settings and amp?

I use mine into a blackface/plexi custom built 1x12 combo, and a Tele or humbucker LP type guitar. So far I have only had a few minutes with the Zen and I kept everything around noon, and it sounded sweet. I wanna work on a Robben Ford like tone though. The Zen sounds sweet with the blackfaced side, but I haven't tried the plexi side yet.

Care to share?

Thanks,
    -Nate

2. jpagey

jpagey Member

I use mine into my Songworks 3350LT with ext cab and custom strat with lil '59's in neck and bridge and stacked strat in the middle (soon to be Bardens). I have the ZD set with vol at 10-11 o'clock, gain 9-10, tone 12-1 and voice 2-3. Very nice crunch, very much an extension of my clean tone, just "more". I have a ZD/Mos 2 in 1 pedal. So the settings vary on the ZD, depending on how the Mos is set. Great pedal.

3. nsriley

nsriley Member

Cool Pagey! Thanks! :)

-Peace
    -Nate

4. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

glad you got yours!

I actually just took mine OFF my board b/c it wasn't transparent at ALL to me. I lost a tone of bass, and still had too much of a mid hump for my music style....but for what i does, i loved it.

My Guitar was a Tele Deluxe into the zendrive into a Bad Cat.....

i always had the voice knob well past noon towards 2-3, but left the tone around noon-1... gain was often changed... i liked that tone the best..

-john

5. jaimo

jaimo Member

Hear you.
    The Zen does indeed have it's own voice, I think. A very usable voice, at that. But I would never use it to override the drive characteristics of an amp that sounds good on it's own.
    A clean to semi-clean channel with the Zen switched on all the time is a great sound. Add boost or volume knob for solos. Very nice!

6. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

Here's my fave setting among many. Fender or Marshall amp set clean. Strats and Lesters.
    Vol- 11 oclock
    Gain- 2 oclock to full on.
    Tone at 9 to 10 oclock
    Voice- 2 oclock to 5 oclock.
    The Voice is the key to tranparent tone, otherwise it can be dark.
    I push my Zendrive with aother pedals for higher gain and it just rocks.

7. lv

lv Supporting Member

+1 not transparent at all. That is the beauty of it though, adds a nice RF mid kinda voice to a blackface amp.

8. nsriley

nsriley Member

Ok I guess I have a bad way with words. What I meant is I can still hear the guitars character very well through it. The pedal has it's own voice yes of course, but my guitars sure sound through it well too, catch my drift? :YinYang

-peace
    -Nate

9. jj jafar

jj jafar Member

I see alot of a ya saying how it works with a clean type sound,but what about an amp thats already overdrivin a bit.Does this pedal not work well with an amp already cookin?If this is true Im gonna cancel the order I put in a month ago.Ill certainly be using it with the amp already breaking up.Jason

10. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

The only problem I have with the ZD is that it thins out when I turn down the guitar volume (I have a volume kit on the guitar vol pot). Sounds bad. I'm thinking I might have to lug a volume pedal if I want to leave the ZD on all the time.

It's most pronounced on the neck mini-humbucker.

The '97 FD-2 I sometimes use doesn't exhibit this "thinning" behavior at all.

11. jaimo

jaimo Member

Not sure how to help you here. If you're already cranking through an amp with a certain sonic signature and you're hoping to use the ZD as a boost to give you more of the same, you may need to reconsider.
    But, a grain of salt here.... that's only MHO and experience with MY amps. Like I said, I believe the ZD has very useful tone quality. The subject remains open for me as to whether it mixes well with certain amps that are already in overdrive or crunch. Anything is possible. Doesn't R Ford use his ZD as a boost for his solos when he's playing through the Super Reverb? Think so.
    Hopefully, someone can chime in here and illuminate.
    (Don't cancel that order just yet. imho)

The post is filed in the "Non-Committal Response Dept". ;)

12. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Running mine with a strat, tele, and a yamaha 620 into a SF deluxe or Bassman. Here are my typical settings

Volume: 9-11
    tone: 12
    gain: 12
    voice: 3 'oclock

When the pedal first came out everyone was saying "all controls at noon" but that is WAY too dark for me and apparently many others feel the same way.

Right now I have a little OD pedal shootout setup consisting of:

Zendrive
    80's TS9
    Barber Silver LTD
    Bad Monkey.

The LTD is by far the most transparent and is what I use for rhythm OD but even this one adds some mids. The TS sounds best for leads with a strat neck pickup and has the most bass loss. The Zen is the thickest and sounds best with HB's. The bad monkey is actually smoother than the zen: its nearly impossible to get a grainy sound out of it. Tonally its most similar to the TS but with more low mids and less high mids. I think this pedal might not cut through a mix as well as the other 3.

For me the ZD is a great all purpose lead pedal. It's a bit thick for rhythm IMO. I also like it better with HB's although it sounds fine with SC's.

13. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

Hey Nate! Congrats!

I use mine with:

vol - 11:00
    tone - 2:00
    voice - 2:00
    gain - 3:00 - full up

... and leave it pretty much the same for Strats and LPs.

I do set my amps on the darker side of things. I also like the Zen better into a clean amp or into an amp at the edge of breakup but I don't like it as much into an amp that's already overdriven or for placing it before other pedals for boosting. For that application I prefer my Barber LTD (the black one) because it blends better with the base tone. I do like the Zen a lot being placed after other gain boxes, and being boosted by them.

14. telebuck

telebuck Supporting Member

I'm with the others here that use it for its distinct voice. Not great yet with these terms, but I hear sort of a mid or high-mid bark or bite to it. The higher the voice and tone are set, obviously, the more this comes through.

Vol - 11:00
    Tone - 2;00
    Voice - 2-4:00
    Gain - 2:00 - full on

I'll have to try it at other gain setting, but I use other pedals to do more of a clean or slight drive boost... Klon, Cot50.

15. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

The best pedal I've heard to use with an amp that's already breaking up is the ProAnalog Dual Drive. (I'm bumming, in fact, because I don't have any amps I can turn up enough to get them to the sweet spot for my DD.)

16. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

That's exactly how I set my Zen (before I sold it).

17. aeolian

aeolian Member

I just got mine last week. Put it on my pedalboad and ended up using it more than the OD channel of my Fuchs. My Fuchs doesn't compress at all and because of that can sound kind of louder than it is as notes jump out. The Zen compresses just a little bit. Just enough to give a different feel. I was also able to put it in front of my volume pedal. Amazing thing is that it sounded great even when padded down by the EB volume pedal and not hitting the front end of the amp. I almost couldn't tell the difference.
    The great thing about the Zendrive is that while there is a taste of compression, as in a good tube amp, there isn't much. All your playing still comes though. Just as if you were plugged into a great tube amp. There isn't that tube screamer collapse of the sound. It's as if Alf was able to cram a good Dumble architecture amp into that tiny box.
    I like it best at moderate to mid level gain settings. It's not a hard rock or metal box. Tomorrow night I'm going to try using both the Zen and Fuchs OD together for some harder, louder stuff. Both are so playable I'm hoping it will be similar to cranking either.

18. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I love my Zendrive so much, the notes just jump out when playing, and it has the undiscribable sweet sound that no other overdrive that I've tried has. I am in heaven with the Tim, Timmy, and Zendrive, and Blues Pro. I think I have all I need and for overdrive sounds.

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net

19. jpagey

jpagey Member

It does for me. I set my 3350lt with some dirt...i.e. a CoT set on the lowest setting gives it nice grit. Ditto for my ZD with the gain at 9-10 o'clock, makes the amp really grind. In fact if I turn the CoT or ZD up all the way it is too much dirt. Between the voice and tone controls you can dial in any tone. My ears hear a flat response based upon my settings. If you cancel you will make the next guy in line very happy. :)

20. jj jafar

jj jafar Member

LOL,I know some people are saying go ahead and cancel.:D I plan on using it for low to medium gain stuff into my Marshall running at a little less than AC/DC gain on its own.I will use my Direct Drive for the higher gain stuff.But if it is really a pedal for driving a clean amp maybe its not gonna be my thing.Im not just looking for it to be a boost,got a Katana for that,i want it to add some grind and its own voice to the mix.Jason