zendrive VS ecstacy drive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cube, May 3, 2008.

1. cube

cube Member

I like the wampler never tried a Zen.

what do you like better and why?

2. Peeb

Peeb Member

Not sure why this thread went nowhere.???

I'm trying the zendrive soon, and I'm already impressed with all of Wampler's stuff. The Ecstasy seems more versatile, tho I'd love to try them head-to-head.

3. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

I had never even heard of Wampler.... I have a Zendrive and really like it.

4. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

Does the name "Ecstacy" imply that it sounds like a Bogner?

5. jdawg666

jdawg666 Member

Yes

6. cube

cube Member

it is somewhat bogner "ish" but not super high gain. i actually got too try it with a zen .. the ED was more transparent and sounded better .. so much so my friend that had the Zen has not stopped hounding me til i sold him the ED.

7. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

How does it sound with the Zen running INTO the Ecstacy (into a clean amp)? I'm trying to achieve a smooth, ultra-high gain lead sound similar to Joe Don Rooney through my Marshall plexi reissue. I'm not particularly a Rascal Flatts fan, but his lead tone is the best I've ever heard. He uses a Bogner.

8. drgonzoguitar

drgonzoguitar Member

Brian Wampler is Brent Mason's (Nashville studio ace) pedal tech. He does some great DIY books, as well as his own pedal line. The Ecstasy has switchable gain types between a "Dumble/Ecstasy" (hard/soft clipping). Brian's stuff is built like a tank.

http://www.wamplerpedals.com/ecstasy.htm

9. cube

cube Member

thats how my friend runs em into a stang ray. its sounds fantastic.

10. Claudio74

Claudio74 Member

Good news for me...i'm waiting for the ecstasy right now.
    The fun thing is that i once emailed Hermida about international shipping method and price. I didn't receive an answer for 2 months, so i emailed wampler to get the ecstasy, and bought it immediately.
    After a day, in my mail box i saw the "zendrive is ready" mail from hermida :crazy :D:D

11. impactblue

impactblue Member

12. okbutjustonce

okbutjustonce Senior Member

bump. anyone else have any thought on this?

13. aziltz

aziltz Member

i'll say.

14. BrianWampler

BrianWampler Member

Thanks for the mention. I'll elaborate a bit on both pedals, having owed zendrives in the past and obviously knowing a bit about the ecstasy.

the zendrive has a similar tone control to the ecstasy (which is a low pass filter) but the ecstasy adds a pre-clipping bass control similar to what paul is doing with the Timmy.

Whether it's better or not is like comparing cap'n crunch to lucky charms. neither is better, only different and better depending on what a particular player needs.

I realize I could probably sell a few more pedals if I say that the pedal will do everything up to solving world hunger and the economy crisis but the truth is that it really is just a pedal... it isn't going to replace a dumble, bogner, or anything like that. NOTHING is. Those amps are what they are and pedals exist to get particular tones.

With that said, the ecstasy is as close as I can get to dumble type tones through a clean amp.

Hope that helps! :)
    bw

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  15. Claudio74

Claudio74 Member

Thread from the past!
    Well i own both (actually, i have a clone of the zen but it's identical).
    The ecstasy (mine is the first version) is more transparent and versatile: it can go from almost clean boost to medium gain to something "fuzzy" depending on the gain/tone settings; at the same time it can do the dumble thing well but not like the zen. It stacks perfectly with the zen first and you can reach beautiful high gain overdrive but smooth and focused (the tone controls help very much here).
    One thing i don't like so much, at least with my rig (already said this), is that the tone controls (bass and especially treble) are too "strong" (forgive my english) so i never go past 1 oclock with bass and 12 oclock with treble.
    Once you find the right spot with all the 3 controls (gain and tone controls are interactive) this pedal is a keeper.