Zendrive vs Mad professor LGW

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SHM, Jun 28, 2008.

1. SHM

SHM Member

Anybody have both? Are they very different animals?

Cheers

Søren

2. aidan7737

aidan7737 Member

I think they are quite different. I currently own a MPLGW, I have owned a Zendrive (no longer) and I've played the Zen2 and a couple of Alf's other creations.

To me the Zendrive has more of the compressed, smooth, middy flavour going on (TS-esque but not quite the same) where as the MP LGW is very open, gritty and uncompressed. The LGW is its smoothest at arount 10-11o'clock on the body knob but even here I'd say it's less compressed than a Zen or TS. Both good pedals, just different flavours and, for mine, yes, "different animals".

3. hurleysurf

hurleysurf Member

I have had both on the board for about 2 months. The poster above did a pretty good comparison. Just two things I want to stress. The Zendrive is smoooooth. The LGW is just smooth with a little grit. The body knob is also useful across its full spectrum. But I won't waste your time repeating all the poster above did. Pretty good combo to have.

4. Forbidden

Forbidden Member

I'll back up what everyone's just said. I currently own both and also a Zendrive 2. The Zendrives are very smooth yet the LGW is smooth with grit and is probably my favourite drive pedal I own. Currently using the LGW as my main OD sound with a BB Preamp for a boost.

5. SHM

SHM Member

I have traded my zen for a LGW. I´ll get it to day:drool

6. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

Can't speak on the LGW, but I got a Zendrive yesterday and 'smooth' is the key word. I know it's the HuneyMOON period still, but this is one of the very best OD"s I've played.

vtg

7. SHM

SHM Member

I´m with you. The Zendrive´s smooth,greatsounding ,one of the best ODs I´ve ever tried. I got the LGW today and played it with my strat and AC15. It sounds very good to me. A little more hair with drive and very good as a booster.

8. Deval One

Deval One Member

I just got the Zendrive 2 with just a 3 1/2 week wait time. Alf is great at communication. Really smooth, I actually prefer the roundness and tone than my Tim. Stacked with a TS808 Analogman Silver, the sound is amazing and appealing. Alone, it's one of the great pedals out there on the market.

9. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Very good description. The Zen has a lot more mid content than the LGW and the clipping is much smoother. The LGW's clipping is more "gritty" or "growly" if you will. That's not saying that the Zen can't get a mean sound, because it can.