Zendrive vs. Mosferatu

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by FenderGuy53, Oct 3, 2008.

1. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Member

Guys, I need some quick help here. I've listened to all of the sound clips on the Hermida Audio Technology web-site. My name is reaching the top of the list for each of these pedals, yet I still can't seem to make up my mind which would work better with my setup and my music.

My setup is Fender Strat/Tele > Fender DRRI/BJr.

My music is Blues, Blues/Rock, Classic Rock and Hard Rock (no metal).

Whaddayathink?

2. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

I can't speak to the mosferatu, but personally I find the zendrive to not have a great deal of gain and is great goosing another pedal or vice versa.

3. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

My STRONG advice on this one:
    get both, demo both, sell one (or at least plan to).

The Zen gets a lot of love, the rightfully so.
    But the Mos has a really great "bloom" into feedback that is really cool to have.
    IMO, the Mos can do all the Zen can, and a bit more.

4. bluelew

bluelew Member

Sounds like the Mos would be better for your music style. I have had a Zen and 3 Mos's. I finally got a 4 knob Mos and it is fighting for room on my board with a few Fuchs pedals. Most people use the Zen for smooth Carlton/Ford tones. The Mos is similiar but has more gain. It will go from blues to hard rock. I will probably keep the Mos for higher gain dumblish sounds and my Fuchs Plush Drive for lower/medium dumblish sounds.

5. teestone

teestone Mostly Regular Member Silver Supporting Member

This is good advice...finances permitting. As you can see from my sig, I've got 'em both. I couldn't choose one or the other. ;)

6. jb1911

jb1911 Member

I was in the same situation and tried them both. I still have the Mos. From the styles of music you play it's a no brainer to me, the Mos wins.

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I have them both, and for blues the zendrive gets all the gain I would ever want. Mainly I use it for light gain though. It cuts in a band situation fantasticly. Also gets that chimey, Freddie King sound...it's the best pedal I own, that I have used for years now. Using strat, and many Fender and other amps.

I have the mos also. I like it, but not like the zen. The mos does have more gain on tap, and at first listen it does seem to be able to do the Zendrive thing, but like MANY pedals I have tried that sounded "zenlike", the thing I noticed it isn't quite as good at cutting in a band situation.

Honestly, I have never played a pedal that was better at beautiful, non-harsh (though alone it can sound slightly harsh) cut through a mix as the ZD. The Mos has its place, and it may be because I already owned my first ZD (I have two) for a few years before buying a Mos...so maybe I was biased from the start, but I can dial in the ZD in my sleep...using start points and my ears, and like I say...for blues I don't need swamped in gain sounds.

Jsut a few thoughts...

8. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Hey FenderGuy:
    I agree with the posters above, but with a twist.

I play mostly Strats/Teles through Fender amps as well and I play rock, blues, country, jazzjust about every style. My strong suggestion:

- Buy both
    - Never sell either!

I owned a Zen and MOS 4 very early on when they first came out. I ended up selling 'em both b/c I didn't initially know how to dial them in - I thought I wanted something else. Bottom line, after trying out just about every front-running OD, I RAN back to Alf and bought 2 Zens. IMO they are totally unique.

I'd love to buy a Mos again and I plan to. I'd suggest not making my mistake!!!

9. Galo

Galo Supporting Member

The Mos has more gain and a little darker tone.

10. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Member

Guys, this is really great input for me. Thanks so much.

I'd like to be able to cover my dirt needs with a single pedal, so I think I'm going to give the Mosferatu the first shot.

11. jb1911

jb1911 Member

You won't be sorry.

12. CFS

CFS Member

I'm using both pedals as my only od/distortion pedals. Similar but different! The Mos does have a good bit more gain available and gives me better low end, if you need that. The key for both pedals, IMO, is working the Voice control. Lately, I've been cranking the Voice up almost to the max and both of these pedal get more aggressive in a great way. I'm keeping them both! Oh yeah, I'm one of those guys who prefers both of these with humbucker equipped guitars.

13. jb1911

jb1911 Member

This thread got me thinking and I played with my Mos for a while on a really low gain setting. It does the Zendrive thing better than the Zendrive. If you max the gain, it's a very smooth articulate fuzz type sound. You can hear all your strings on chords. In between min and max you get the king of all classic rock tones. Tons of harmonics and overtones. I don't know why this pedal doesn't get more love. This is just my opinion of course.

14. ungarn

ungarn Member

+1 That is what I did...knew I wanted a Mos...ended up keeping the Zen!!!