Zendrive with a Strat?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sweetpea, Oct 24, 2005.

1. sweetpea

sweetpea Supporting Member

I have been reading alot about how nice it sounds with humbuckers. Just wondering if there is any strat/zendrive lovers out there?:)

2. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

Good question, I'm wanting to try the Zen, but my main axe is a strat and I'd be curious to hear others opinions.

J

3. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

I played TNJ's Zendrive with my CS '65 relic Strat, and his Suhr Classic. Both Guitars into a T Rock 100w head, and my Hayseed30. I liked it the best of prolly 6 overdrives we tested. He had some cool stuff. I am looking for a Zendrive for myself as well.
    Seems to be a hard to find stomper. If you do not like it I bet you would not loss much $ on the re-sale.

4. kram21

kram21 Member

The Zendrive sounds great with my standard fender strat and fender concert reverb amp[4x10],very pleased with this setup--i mainly play classic rock and blues.

5. jpagey

jpagey Member

Yup. The ZD and the Eternity are my 2 favorite new od's.

6. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Sounds killer with my Grosh strats through a Connie and the Bruno Super 100. Get one, you won't believe how cool and different it sounds.

7. xroads

xroads Member

The clips with the Zendrive that are around are mostly with HB guitars playing fusion type music. The Zen is capable of much more though - you have to keep in mind that it is a pedal that adds some mids and has a low gain sound. Playing my Strat with the Zen always reminds me of a crunchy blues/grunge sound. It,s hard to turn it off, really...

xroads

8. journo

journo Member

Hi,

Nice thread.

I've had a ZenDrive on order for about six weeks and while I bought it due to all the excellent HB clips around here I mainly play a Suhr Classic so I'll be tring it out with single coils for sure.

Cheers,

Mats N

9. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Got a Zen and a Mos4 on order. I use mainly Strats/Teles, so I'll report back when they get here. I have very high hopes!!

10. Madison

Madison Member

My Zen has been on order for 6 weeks. I'm told it could be 2-4 MORE weeks before I get it. Place your orders soon if you want one!

11. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

DOH!:jo
    I ordered mine 4 weeks ago and was kinda EXPECTING it this week.

How do they compare?

12. rlinkt

rlinkt Member

I just got a Zendrive, and I have been using it with my strat, which is a partscaster with Fralin vintage hots. For my tastes, it sounds simply amazing with a strat. It just adds a new dimension to the strat sound. I think you will enjoy it. As xroads said, I am having a hard time turning it off.

13. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

BTW there is a clip on the Hermida website with a guy playing a tele through the Zen. That'll give you an idea of what it sounds like with single coils.

14. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

So I should just order it now and wait...?

15. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Yup. Just like the Timmy and a host of other small market handcrafted pedals discussed on this board.

16. LittleC

LittleC Member

I use mine with a Fender Special Tele with stock p/u and a Hamer Newport (hollow body) equipped with P90s in addition to my bucker axes. Simply love it!

17. sweetpea

sweetpea Supporting Member

Great news! Thanks for all of the replies guys. It looks like I will have a Zendrive and a Timmy for some tonal fun. Can't wait!:)

18. drolling

drolling Member

Yep, it's got that midrangey thing that works so well with single coils and old non-master volume tube amps. I never even listened to the clips, well written descriptions are somehow more helpful to me when determining what will sound good w/my rig.

Alf's a real pleasure to deal with. Ordered mine late this summer and it arrived about a month later, exactly as promised.

His power's out right now, so there'll be some slight delays, apparently.

19. diatonicdude

diatonicdude Member

Hi Drolling,

you are right about Alf being a great guy. He is so helpful to deal with/answer tech questions.

I was concerned to hear about hurricane Wilma passing over his neck of the woods (Pembrooke Pines, Florida) so I sent him an email asking if he is OK. I have received nothing as yet. This is unlike Alf who normally responds the same day (at least).

So can you confirm the guy is OK? Where did you hear about his power being off?

My 2 pence (cents!!), I have to say that the Zendrive sounds really special with single coils. It really warms up their tonal response, and fills your amp with a fuller, smooth tone, yet still maintaining the characteristic single coil raunch coupled with oodles of dynamics.

Cheer's,

DD

20. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Yeah I emailed him also with no response. I have heard reports of WIDESPREAD power outages continuing for 2 weeks or more in some areas. Hopefully he's alright.