Zendrive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by lv, Oct 7, 2005.

1. lv

lv Supporting Member

Surprisingly, this pedal required a bit more tweaking than I expected as changing the voice requires changing the tone, at least for my taste, but I now have it dialed to perfection.

Full of RF/Dumble tones. Not a huge amount of gain, but the right blend of smoothness and grit. Just sings with a nice medium output humbucker at the bridge. I can see why Mr. Ford is using this.

Also, the new cosmetics (the white printout sticker was replaced with a brushed/satin finish metal plate) are so classy!

Thanks Alf!

[​IMG]

2. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

It certainly has the tone, not quite the dynamics of an amp, but for what it costs, absolutely fabulous.

gb

3. al carmichael

al carmichael Member

The new look is real nice! My pal Jpagey seems to have almost every pedal known to humans. In my sampling of his "good" stuff, two pedals stood out--the Eternity and the Zendrive. They are totally different flavors of overdrive but real rewarding to play through.

Since we're discussing the Zendrive, I'll limit my impressions to it. It does take some tweaking to find the sweet spot, depending on what guitar you are using, but when you find it, you have a pedal that responds to your touch in a glorious way. As I'm a player who plays with a light touch, it was great to vary pick attack and hear how the pedal responds so amp like.

I used it through my Allen Old Flame (think blackface fender) and a Marshall JMC. It sang through both. I liked it so much that I wrote Alf an e-mail expressing my awe. Now, I just gotta save the bucks to get one for myself...

4. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

5. monacosis

monacosis Member

i've had mine for a few weeks now and i am loving it. i barely add gain (9:00) and crank the voicing and adjust the tone and vol accordingly.
    it is absolutely perfect for my current rig: Hamer Monaco III (P90s) > MB Subway Blues or Mk I. i did try it through my 67 Super Reverb but i wasn't crazy about that set-up.

Great pedal Alf!!

mike

6. memphisrain

memphisrain Member

Would you guys say it does a good Dumble through a BF Fender? I'm trying to get some sound clips of it doing it through one, but noone seems to have any.

mR

7. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

I recently picked up a Zendrive on trade. I had ZD gas so bad, I couldn't wait for Alf's 2-3 week lead time. :D

So far I'm loving it. I'm digging it mostly for rhythm, believe it or not, but I like the lead tones I'm getting with it as well. The Voice knob is an interesting feature - very interactive with the Tone knob. What would you all say it is, in other terms - presence? It sort of reminds me of the presence knob on an amp.

8. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I love my Zendrive, my main humbucker/P90 OD. The voicing is definately cool, above 12:00 more upper mids and at 12:00 is "softens" the mids for that
    D*M^$E tone. I'm getting a Landgraff to use with strats and of coarse a Klon or two are on my board, but the Zendrive is it for humbuckers.

9. lv

lv Supporting Member

Yes. I am using it through a borrowed deluxe reverb reissue - into the normal channel it is lovely. I don't like it as much through the reverb channel as I *think* this amp has a bright cap which I usually prefer to turn off when using OD pedals. What amp would you be using it with?

10. memphisrain

memphisrain Member

Lou,

I've got a 69 Super Reverb and a JTM 45 clone. So it will be used with one of the two.

mR

11. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Memphisrain,

I posted a thread a while back about this. I saw Robben Ford playing through a Les Paul, a Super Reverb and a Zendrive, that's it, and it sounded just like his Dumble. I've heard him quite a few times and know his tone very well and I think he actually sounds better with this newer rig. FWIW

12. fuzzface

fuzzface Active Member

Does the hao dumble compare to the zendrive?

13. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

No.

jon

14. memphisrain

memphisrain Member

GAT,

Hey thanks for the info. I'm pretty much ready to spring for one, but I would just to prefer to hear one through a similar rig to mine since I can't really try one out first.

Thanks again though

mR

15. mockoman

mockoman Member

Sure love the Zen. Would keep it over my Fulldrive,Power Screamer, & Tim.

As far as tweeking,I've never had an issue.Sounds great with all the knobs straight up. For my use, I start there,then lower the gain & vol, bump the voice to 1 o'clock,and back the tone to 11:30.

Some call this a low gain pedal,but for this old timer it's got way more than I need!

I run the Fulldrive in comp cut ,after the Zen, when I need a boost for leads.
    The voice control is very cool,& IMO, every pedal should have one. You can use it to dial in for humbuckers or singlecoils,& really find your sound. It's almost like a parametric eg, or mild 'cocked' wah.

AND,it sounds excellent through any of my amps-Twin Reverb,Maz Jr, Club Royale,& Pro Jr.

16. OOG

OOG Member

i hope not
    the hao doesn't do a thing for me
    with all the enthusiasm here i'm gonna buy a Zen
    the only problem is
    wait for the 2 or not?

tell me how long, mama, do i have to wait?
    should i spring now or should i hesitate?

17. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

OOG:
    I chose to get on the list for the Z2 and buy a MOS in the mean time.

I have high hopes for Alf's stuff!

18. OOG

OOG Member

thing of it is
    i got problem
    i have a CJOD and a Tim
    this combo gives me so many sonic possabilitys (all good)
    that i have a hard time settling on a setting
    would the Zen make my problem worse?
    how much would one of Neil's whizzers cost me?

19. gregc

gregc Member

So, so what's the diff tween the Z and the Z2? I've heard the Zen at a recent gig (by bro bought one) and it sounded killer! I'm curious as to what changes?
    Greg C

20. memphisrain

memphisrain Member

The Z2 uses a preamp tube and you can change it for different flavors

mR