1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Zendrive2 demo vids

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fatback, Jun 4, 2006.

1. fatback

fatback Member

I posted this yesterday on TGP-(BAM) temp site, but figured it would be a good post to bring back for the home-coming party! ;)

I got my Zendrive2 in the mail last week from Alf after getting on the list last summer. I haven't tried changing out the tube yet because I'm really liking how it sounds with the stock one. The "voice" and "tone" controls are very interactive and can change the whole feel of the pedal in their different extremes. This pedal is very responsive to touch and pick attack

Here's a couple of clips of me goofin' around with the ZD2 between my Lentz S and a Princeton reverb on about 2.5. I threw a Maxon AD900 delay in after the ZD2 for some ambience.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8457557622029057083

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4298576334295059849

I also have a couple of clips with a humbucker guitar that I'll post later this week...

(edit 6/6 ...and here they are: )

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6936482360457125057
    same setup but with a Grosh set-neck

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4427326810210051457
    Zen Surfin'

Alf definately has another winner on his hands. :AOK:D

2. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

sounds great. With those types of pedals, I need to play it and feel it, but that sounds really nice.

3. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I loved the clips. I'd love to hear more double stop and power chord tones, but Alf said he's building mine this week, so I'll know soon enough.

jon

4. royd

royd Member

fatback... sounds great.
    I just got mine last week too and it looks as if I'm going to have to put it up for sale due to a family emergency. that sucks big time.

5. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Can anyone compare the ZD with the Z2? I know tube-swapping is an alternative with the Z2, so it's a moving baseline, but using the tube provided, what's the dif??

6. blue_lu

blue_lu Member

Hi there, thats exactly what i wanted to know - the clips are really great btw!
    I mailed Alf my order for zenrive2 after hearing the scott lerner demo, then after some looking around I mailed him to change it back to version one (dont know if that was a good idea?!). I play a 335 into a vibrolux and I'm kind of scared that the zen sounds too similar to my barber dd which is a good pedal but sounds to "narrow"/dark. I guess the question is how does the zendrive sound with humbuckers ?

any ideas? which version do you like better? lots of questions - i know:rolleyes:

all the best,
    lu

7. DK207

DK207 Member

sounds great, thanks for the clips!

8. fatback

fatback Member

here's my reply to that same question on BAM:

Alf tried to stress that the Zendrive and the Zendrive2 each have their own things going on. I see some overlap, but they really are different in terms of feel and use; ie. I couldn't get the Zendrive to make a sound like the ZD2 does in the clips out of a quiet amp, but get the amp cookin' and the Zendrive(1) really does it's thing...

They both are very cool boxes. :)

9. fatback

fatback Member

The ZD2 sounds excellent with hums, especially with the gain backed down. I'll try to post some clips using my Grosh set-neck tommarrow.

10. blue_lu

blue_lu Member

Dope! thanks a lot!

11. fatback

fatback Member

I just added a humbucker vid to the top post.

cheers.

12. sinner

sinner Member

Thanks for sharing, fatback! That's a very good sound (and very good playing!).

Were you using reverb (from the amp) and the Maxon AD900?

13. muddy

muddy Member

so fattie, whaddya think abowd the bb deluxe? it kinda grows onya, don't it? gotta small fry comin', too. just to bide the time until the drive & mos roy hit da streets... :Devil :roll:Spank :D

ml

14. Lution

Lution Member

Fatback, thank you very much for this, and all your clips you've produced.

I do, however, have to comment on the sound quality of the clips. the means by which you record them is not giving me the true true picture. it seems to lack that last 30% or so of the true sound. think I saw you say that you are using a digital camera with video capabilities to record your clips.

It's a really quick and easy way to post clips. I use mine to instantly record song ideas. It really comes in handy.

I wish there was a way to record clips quickly and give a more accurate recording quality.

I appreciate your work you've done though. ;)

15. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

That is a very responsive pedal.

16. trazan

trazan Member

Yep, no offence, but I really don't think it's possible make judgment based on such clips. Same with some manufacturers clips, like i.e. Xotic. A mike on a cam far away from the speaker kinda says more about the room than anything else...

Tasty playin' though, fatback :cool:

17. fatback

fatback Member

No problem guys. I can say for sure that everything sounds much better in person. ;)

The way these vid clips started was as a down and dirty way to document some of the low volume tones I'd been getting at home using pedals. What started as 1 or 2 vids has quickly snowballed over the past few months. I've had a great time making them and have been fortunate to meet some cool folks in the process.

I totally agree that the camera's noise floor is terrible and the little condenser mic adds it's own sonic signiture, but for what it is, (an old Cannon A70 still cam,) I think it gets the job done fine. I ussually try to give a brief bit of the un-effected tone before I demo a pedal so you at least have a grounding to base the pedal's sound on. You are right about the "room sound", but that's exactly what I was going for... how a pedal sounds at home in your, (or in this case) my room.

I have an Edirol R-09 coming in the mail. We'll have to see how that works for clips...

I'll be the first to agree that nothing takes the place of trying out gear with your own hands, ears, and rig. The clips are only hints at what you'll discover on your own.
    :AOK

btw, I added a second humbucker clip.:D cheers.

18. fatback

fatback Member

Yup that BBD is the swiss-army uber-bomb of ts-whatitzs. Crazily, the ZD2 can almost beat it at it's own screamer game when it isn't busy doing it's own thang. Both are chock full o' tone!

Let us know about the small fry when it arrives!

:BEER

19. Lution

Lution Member

I have the A70 too. nice camera. Great way to document basic sounds! :dude

20. fatback

fatback Member

The last clip is up, (busy weekend!).

You can check out "Zen Sufin'" at the top of the thread.

:YinYang cheers.