1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Zendrives

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tonejunky, May 16, 2011.

1. tonejunky

tonejunky Member

I know that Zendrives are infamous for sounding dumble-like. My question is if they replace the tone of your amp with something that sounds like a dumble, or if you end up with your amp's tone stacked/blended with the Zendrive. ?

2. miteemike3

miteemike3 Member

To my ears, the Zendrive does add color to your amp to make it sound "D-like". I've never played nor really paid much attention to what real "D" amps sound like, but I liked the Zendrive sound enough to buy one. It's not a transparent overdrive... completely different animal than say a Tim/Timmy which boosts your signal so you get more of your amp.

3. pattste

pattste Member

I agree with Mike. I have a (regular) Zendrive and it definitely sounds Dumble-like and imparts its color to pretty much any amp / guitar combo. Others may disagree but I consider the Zendrive a one-trick pony (and the greatest lead tone I've ever had).

4. Last

Last Member

Definitely agree with both of the above replies.

I recently tried an Alpha Drive (another D~Style Pedal) & sold her off as I preferred what the Zen did with my tone over the Alpha.

The Alpha was more "touch responsive" to me though.

Zen Drive is a definite keeper.

5. simplecomplexity

simplecomplexity Senior Member

i've only been through vid reviews of the zendrive. and i was impressed. gotta try them out one day..

6. nickyjoe

nickyjoe Member

I didn't "bond" well the time I used the Alpha Drive. I'm sure it may have it's place. I've never had a problem with my Zendrive. Notes seem to jump out of it...really cuts through a stage mix. I think it works well with the guitar and amp. It does give you a range of tones.

7. don carney

don carney Silver Supporting Member

I was unable to find a Zendrive at the time I was looking for one so I bought a Dumkudo which is similar. I have been very happy with the Dumkudo. It is fabulous.

8. tomuchroc41gtr

tomuchroc41gtr Supporting Member

Having never played a dumble-type amp, you'll have to take my opinion with a grain of salt but the Zen does a pretty excellent job of turning an amp (at least mine) into a dumble-ish amp. I have a Bad Cat Hot Cat, which is EL84 based and pretty bright...but the Zen can definitely turn it warm, dark, and smooth! If big, thick, singing leads are your thing, the Zen is definitely the way to go regardless of your amp. It may be a one-trick-pony but it's a trick I can't live without.

9. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

I just recently A/B my Fuchs ODS with a friends Twin Reverb & Zendrive. Scary how close the sound was. But where it differed was in the feel, and you dont get some things that a D Style amp will give you. D amps are really tight sounding, great bass response, nothing ever farts out. You don't get the "feel" of the D with a Zen & Blackface amp. But it is VERY close, for strictly sound wise its pretty much there.

BTW, I love my Zen with my ODS. Great combination.