Zenkudo Overdrive (Dumble style) better than Zendrive!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by steevo124, Sep 3, 2008.

1. steevo124

steevo124 Member

Here is a new overdrive pedal that I think not many people have heard of. It's called the Zenkudo Overdrive, and it's made in Japan by Toshihiko Tanabe. It's clearly modeled after the Zendrive only said to be better (open to debate, you guys decide). It as three modes. 1st Marshall Mode (red light) 2nd Zenkudo mode (blue light) and 3rd. Dumble mode (green light). Supposedly the Dumble mode is so good that a guy reviewing it on youtube said it nails the Dumble sound more so than any Dumble style amps such as Fuchs and Two-Rock. He even sold his Fuchs and Two-Rock b/c the pedal sounded so good (I have no plans on ever selling my Two-Rock no matter how good it sounds). Harmony Central Review here: http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Tanabe/Zenkudo/100/1 Here's some pics of my Custom Pedal. And here is the review of the Zenkudo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X88ekDraPPA ... Take into account that he isn't playing a strat and although his playing is good, I'm just not into that Jazz style of playing to showcase a Dumble overdrive pedal. Here's another comparison to the Zendrive with better playing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxCO3wEvKCY

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  2. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

:munch:munch

Need to double up on the popcorn for this one.

3. scottl

scottl Member

So how is this better than the Zendrive? The pedal sounds very similar to the Zen. The controls operate the same. I bet it is a clone.

Alf is a good friend and an innovator. All things being equal, I'd take the Zen since it supports Alf and the price is reasonable. His wait is not long now.

Btw, Shawn is a great player and perfectly showcases the pedal. This type of Dumble OD is not at all like what SRV used. Why try and emulate that?

Scott

4. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

:munch:munch:munch the third slide demo is cool,but they both have settings at different places so one could easily be changed to match the other?? its not like anybody knows where the exact "zendrive" settings on the new pedal would be? so to me they both sounded almost the same? and could probably sound the same.

as for the "jazz" one it sounded good....like a zendrive..

5. steevo124

steevo124 Member

Sorry, I should have ended the "better than zendrive" with a question mark. Shawn is claiming it's better than the zendrive. Shawn clearly stated in one of his reviews that the circuit is NOT a clone, it's a unique circuit designed by Mr. Tanabe. Also, I wasn't saying that Shawn's playing was bad at all by any means, I was just saying that I would have liked to hear that pedal demo-ed with a strat and some SRV "type" blues playing, thats all. Seeing how SRV used a Dumble SSS + a standard TS 808 overdrive, I wondered if this pedal would have given off that vibe, thats all.

6. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Very interesting!

Alf himself thinks the Zen can be improved on, or else he wouldn't be working on the tweaked wooden version.

7. scottl

scottl Member

Hmm... Looks like a Zen, quacks like a Zen, has controls exactly liek the Zen... I say clone. Just because the builder says no, doesn't mean it is not.

8. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

9. steevo124

steevo124 Member

Well, you've made your point and there is no more reason to discuss this then. I should have just started a thread on Zendrive Clone". And since clones can't possible sound as good as the original, there is absolutely no reason to consider buying this pedal then. I at least feel better knowing that I'll be a unique owner of a Zenkudo :)

10. steevo124

steevo124 Member

11. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

So, do you have this pedal now, and how much did it cost you? Oh yeah do you know what the top is made out of, or is it just printed paper?

Thanks

12. mik777

mik777 Member

Well if its a clone then why wait for a Zen when you can get one now!! question is How much?

13. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

How can you order one of these? What is the U.S. price. I am very interested.

14. scottl

scottl Member

Steve,

I am not saying it is not as good. I am merely saying I think it is a clone. I was also coming to Alf's defense since the thread said better than Zen with no substantiation. Buy it all you want. I am not saying not to. I am saying to support a TGP member's circuit by buying from him. Alf gets about 180 or so.... Is the Zenkudo cheaper? I just think it is only fair to post a comparison thread if you are doing the comparing in real A/B fashion.

Props to Tanabe-san for adding the mode switch. Doesn't mean that in "Dumble" mode it is not the Zen circuit. It is a good idea and a worth while switch I think. It also sounds like the Zenkudo might be tweaked for slightly more gain. I don't think they are identical, but I think they are very similar. I also think it is a not right for the builder to say it is "his circuit" if it is in fact a veretable clone.

Fwiw, the Zendrive is not perfect for everyone. I know people that preferred their Jetter Red over it. Others preferred the Ethos. Others preferred the Zendrive. I am sure some will prefer the Zenkudo..... I just think it is wrong and misleading to state that the Zenkudo is definitively not a clone when it sure seems one, and that it is better than the Zendrive when the Youtube clips you posted don't make that claim. In fact, the slide clip has both pedals sounding remarkeably similar.

Scott

15. steevo124

steevo124 Member

Cost= 28,000 yen or roughly $270.00 + 2000 yen Shipping. The whole thing shipped cost me $280.00. The top is made out of abalone/mother of pearl (which I think is a cool addition). I don't have the pedal in hand as of yet, it's getting shipped tomorrow. As soon as I get it, I will post some sound samples with a strat through my Two-Rock Classic Reverb.

16. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Looking forward to the review of the 3 modes.

17. Canadian Steve

Canadian Steve Member

18. scottl

scottl Member

Steve, I bet that sounds great. The Classic Reverb is a great platform! Enjoy...

19. steevo124

steevo124 Member

Well said, and I agree with you. Let me say 1 more time though, I SHOULD have ended the "better than a zendrive" with a question mark. The way I have it now, it seems like I am making a claim this it is indeed better than the zendrive, when I don't know if it infact is. I only wanted other opinions and to share an alternative to the zendrive. I didn't know how much the zendrive was going for before I bought this. Shawn never stated that the zenkudo was better than the zendrive, but I think he makes it pretty clear in his Harmony Central Review, and a few youtube comments under his demo indicate the same, for what it's worth.

20. scottl

scottl Member

Cool! Friends... ;) Now go play your rig!