zep II session pic

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by clarkydaz, May 23, 2008.

1. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Member

i have a magazine with a few pics of jimmy page in session for the second album. looking at the guitar cabs he had one close mic on his 4x12, but aimed center of the cab, in between the 4 speakers. not direct on a speaker. is this common? this positioning of the mic intrigued me.

2. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

i don't think i've ever seen anyone aim a mic directly at the center of a speaker.

3. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Member

ok i dont have the mag here but i'll be back with the pic, likely tomorrow though. sit tight!

4. B Bent

B Bent Supporting Member

COOL! Me wants to see!

5. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

You work at Guantanamo, don't you.

Tick..tock...tick...tock...aaaaaaaaaaaargh. Is it tomorrow yet? :D

6. Catmouth

Catmouth Member

7. NitroLiq

NitroLiq Member

No, typically, the mic would be off-axis on the sweetest speaker in the cab. It's a common practice for an engineer to stick his ears in front of the cab while the guitarist is playing to find which speaker he likes. Then he goes back in the booth and has the assistant engineer sweep the mic when placing it—the engineer telling him where to stop. I know Page was into experimenting so who knows? Are you sure the mic was actually placed for recording? It could've actually just been sitting there, not really placed yet. Or maybe it was...I've actually miced the back corner of a cab before to bring in some low end to go along with the front speaker mic. Sometimes you get unexpected surprises (both good and bad).

8. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Sure, it's arguably the best way to capture the sound of the logo.

9. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

Have you guys ever considered that some of those "in the studio" shots were kinda staged?

Its kinda like an episode of Cribs. You would see a lot of things in the background of many bands "in studio" shots, but I would be remiss to believe they didn't try to intentionally look cool for the shot.

Every Bob Rock session shows players with huge amps, yet Bob Rock AND his clients have often said he loves small open back amps in recordings. However, I never see pics of that type of thing.

Let's put it this way - when you look at Van Halen studio shots, they make sure they put a ton of garbage (beer cans, wrappers), and knowing Ted Templemann, I HIGHLY doubt he was cool with that. He was quite an organized producer, and I doubt he would have that happen.

10. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

...also the possibility that it wasn't a 4x12 cab at all? If it's behind grillcloth at least, you never know what baffle arrangement could have been in there...

11. bosstone

bosstone Member

With his reputation for micing in stairwells, bathrooms and using cheap recorder mics, I wouldn't bet against anything.

12. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Page has said that they spent a lot of time trying to get the sound of the guitar "right" for each song. He may have been just experimenting with different mic placements.

13. Judson

Judson Senior Member

Is it this pic?

[​IMG]

Its the only one I could find really of Page in a studio on google image and it looks like he either has a rack or a WEM cab behind him. There seems to be a little bit of a mic stand just below it but its too dark to tell.

If this isn't it I would love to see the picture!

14. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

Ya, see, the original quote was lost in translation...Page actually used the German word Reit, not 'right'...which means Equestrian...So he was basically saying that he was trying to get the sound of the guitar to imitate a galloping horse, which can be heard in his rhythmic picking from the Zep II song "Whole Lotta Love"

15. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Member

16. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Member

17. andybaylor

andybaylor Supporting Member

Best post ever.

18. andybaylor

andybaylor Supporting Member

Ramble on...

19. Poorbob

Poorbob Member

Guys, he does the mic placement thing on purpose seen here.

[​IMG]

So there is a reason behind this. Anyone have any more pics of his mic placement live? Or like this placement? Or know why he did this? Or know what mic he used live? Any of this info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

20. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

OK lets think about this from a 70's perspective, these 4x12 cabs were running at huge levels and as we all should know the sound is not just from the speaker and miking in the centre of a 4x12 may well sound actually quite good as it will give lots of resonance and get over the very thin sound that purely miking the speaker will give. The SPL at the close mike head with some of the 100 and 200/300 watt heads used was probably around 130db so placing it directly on axsis to the speaker cone was too bright as a lot of cabs had alloy cone speakers and were very directional placing it centre at least also gave a balance of all four speakers and some cabs also had ports in the centre for more low freq.

As for two mics for live, this was very common on a lot of gigs as balanced transformer splitter boxes were not widely available so a lot of gigs had one mic for the main PA and one for the monitors. OR if a film crew came as in the stones hyde park gig one mic was for the PA and the other for the film crew.

As for the mic in the pic it looks like a shure unidyne the forerunner to the SM57, also look at the overhead on Bonhams kit, that is definetly a shure unidyne but one again think 1970's PA, The drum kit probably has only a mic in the kick and an overhead but the pa would be some 4x12 simms watts or wem columns linked to a few 100 watt amps. Note also no cut out hole in the kick drum for the mic, it is just against the head so once again different micing to what we know now and more resonance from the front head.