Zepplin's The Ocean

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by theflyingturtle, Oct 23, 2008.

1. theflyingturtle

theflyingturtle Member

I haven't listened to this song in years but last night I was YouTubing and came across a live version. What seemed to stick out for me was the punchiness of Page's guitar tone, and the fact that I really lick the main riff. Other than using the bridge pickup and the crunch channel on my amp is there anything I can use to cop his tone. Think punchiness. Thanks.

2. Jay Douglas

Jay Douglas Member

My favorite Live Zep is from the '72 to mid '73 era.
    The singlemost overlooked and important ingredient to this particular Tone is that Pagey has the EP-3 echoplex set to the loudest quickest slap-back with only one repeat..the repeat is as loud as the original note and is as quick as you can get with an echoplex, about 40millaseconds (guess)
    This creates a sort-of Plate Reverb sound that Jimmy used MUCH of the time during live shows and even in the studio. It cuts like a mo-fo, and when combined with the inherent quack of real PAF's (sometimes split to single coil with both pickups on to emulate a Telecaster in the middle toggle position;) and a loud Marshall with NO PEDALS...you get very close.

3. Brad J

Brad J Member

plus the echoplex adds gain, if you listen to HTWWW, in Bring it on Home during the breakdown where the guitar and bass trade licks,
    you can clearly hear Page kick the echoplex on for his solo, and you can hear how much gain it adds and how it colours the tone, great stuff!

4. karmadave

karmadave Member

5. fizbin

fizbin Member

You should try just listening to it! It's awesome that way too!

<rimshot> :NUTS

P.S. I've seen/heard the youtube of which you speak and it is tastey tone as you have noted. Unfortunately I have no magic to get you there beyond the usual plexi/Les Paul sort of suggestions that might ensue.

Best of luck to you,
    Jay

6. Free

Free Member

Just to add - The Ocean is an inherently percussive and punchy song - both the main riff and the verse chords are all plain punchy on any amp. One more thing dial back the gain - no need for a crunch channel - just crank the clean channel and get the output tubes cooking. Preamp compression/distortion will not do that song or most any Zep song justice.

7. johan

johan Member

There's a great BT at guitarbt.com of The Ocean incl vocals.
    It's on YouTube too. Great to jam to.

8. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

The slapback echo as mentioned above is clearly heard even on the studio version, when he does some scratching of the strings between riffs and a little muted chugging. That really helps on that song.

9. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

analogmike.....the 40ms guess from jay douglas,whaddya think, 40ms 'bout right?

10. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

It's not "traditional" or "what Page did" but I can get close with a treble booster into a semi-clean amp.

11. analogmike

Yes, the cab mic'ing too, you can hear the wood of the Marshall 4x12 closed back cab. That and the slapback, he was a genius in recording tones.

12. erksin

erksin Member

'The Ocean' is my inspiration for using slapback, and the AR20DL is hands down the best I've used to achieve those tones.

:RoCkIn

13. Fantom1

Fantom1 Member

Pick placement (where the pick is on the string) plays a huge part in any tone, and I'm always surprised no one mentions it. Pagey played pretty far back near the bridge. The guy who posted the video is playing much further towards the neck p/up, and it doesn't sound nearly as quacky or clear. fwiw.

14. analogmike

yes, pick placement and pick attack! I like to use the side of the pick (play at an angle) and attack the strings hard for that tone. You can't pick like Eric Johnson (wish I could!) and sound like Pagey.

I use the AR20DL for that song too :)

15. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Natch!

And good on you for it.

DS

16. gibson08

gibson08 Member

Do you know if it was modded or just a Standard??:D

17. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

An Echoplex is key to many Page tones...I use mine all the time and almost never turn it off, it really thickens up a single guitar w/o having to add more gain, keeps things nice and crisp but still warm and punchy not to mention HUGE!

18. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

I love and admire Pages artistry deeply but whenever he produced Zeppelin tracks the material suffered from printing too hot and many other inconsistencies. And please don't try and tell me this was how it was done back then, Eddie Kramer and Page himself has voiced regret over his flawed, final mixdown decisions.
    Same thing with his live use of echo before his amp. We've all grown up with it and accepted it as gospel because it's Page. That doesn't change the fact that live, his tones and lazy approach to effect processing sounded horrible as did he his unraveling lead technique. Fortunately only a musician could spot these problems which were never serious enough to tarnish the bands greatness.

19. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Member

Wow, you're a modest cat, aren't you? :)

Jim