• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Zexcoil T-Bucker

Zexcoil

Vendor
Updated on 5/28/2013:

Link

The Zexcoil T-Bucker is ready to go!

This is our Juicy Bucker in a Tele bridge package.

P.A.F.-like tone with our Silent Split capability!

Black flatwork! I did that as I figured this one might be popular in "hot-rod" Teles with no bridge plate.

(note: this OP has been updated from it's previous version, to reflect the final form of this pickup)

Last edited:

mrmatt1972

Very cool. I'm the hunt for a silent switchable bucker for my Esquire, this is now on my list. I look forward to some sound samples.

Zexcoil

Vendor
Very cool. I'm the hunt for a silent switchable bucker for my Esquire, this is now on my list. I look forward to some sound samples.
mrmatt,

It'll sound very similar to our Juicy Bucker. Everything is the same, coil winds, innards. The only significant differences are the coil/pole piece spacing and the outer shell.

Zexcoil

Vendor
Let's bump this for a track:

I wrote this over 20 years ago, now, I think (ouch!).

This is the T Bucker in my Am Dlx Tele, pretty clean through my PRII. I added an acoustic fingerstyle compression patch in StudioOne, but other wise, it's raw.

Open G thing

Dana Olsen

Platinum Supporting Member
Hey Scott -

The pickup sounds great, and I dig the tune too. You got's a Tele style neck pickup that goes well with it?

Nice, thanks, Dana O.

Zexcoil

Vendor
Hey Scott -

The pickup sounds great, and I dig the tune too. You got's a Tele style neck pickup that goes well with it?

Nice, thanks, Dana O.
Dana, thanks!

We do not have true Tele style neck pickups. Our design just doesn't fit in that narrow form factor.

I did finally get some very nice looking chrome covers for our Strat pickups, so that is our Tele neck solution: a chrome (metallized plastic, so it isn't really tonally compromised) covered Strat pickup.

We don't have any plans to do a true Tele neck at this point.

Scott

Last edited:

Zexcoil

Vendor
Here's an embedded Soundcloud clip of that same track above:

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/zexcoil/open-g-thing[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Dana Olsen

Platinum Supporting Member
Hey Scott -

Thanks for the response. Which of you Strat style neck pickups do you think goes well with this bridge pickup - I mean a Strat model w/ metal cover? Which particular model do you think you like with this T style bridge pickup?

Thanks a bunch, Dana O.

Zexcoil

Vendor
Hey Scott -

Thanks for the response. Which of you Strat style neck pickups do you think goes well with this bridge pickup - I mean a Strat model w/ metal cover? Which particular model do you think you like with this T style bridge pickup?

Thanks a bunch, Dana O.
You could really use anything. I've done an SV5 or SV2 a lot for the more traditional approach. I think I like the 5 the best as it is the most "open". The 2 is a little rounder and slightly darker.

But, you could do a split Throaty for more of a humbucker in the neck approach, too. The middle position with the Juicy/Throaty combo is really nice.

Just depends on what you want.

Zexcoil

Vendor
This pickup uses a pole piece that needs to be protected from corrosion.

I was trying to use the same epoxy that we pot with to overcoat the exposed pole, but I didn't like the way they were turning out cosmetically. See the quoted pic a couple of posts up. That one actually turned out pretty well, but it was too difficult to control.

I got some pole pieces nickel plated and this is what we will be going with for the production models.

These are up on the website now and we've got them in stock!

Last edited:

Zexcoil

Vendor
Scott, which of the T style pickups will hit the Keith Richards tone through a non-master amp?
Hmmmmm.

From what I can gather it sounds like he mostly has stock pickups rewound hotter, to around 10 k.

Based on that, I'm thinking a TVS maybe? That's the hottest in our standard Vintage line.

I've done a couple of hybrids that are basically a TVS voicing on the high strings and the "5" voicing on the low strings, but output balanced so it ends up being fairly hot (from a vintage perspective, anyway). That might do it.

mroberts

Hi Scott, I'm super intrigued by your pickups! How would describe the T-Bucker in comparison to the TF3? The guitar either one would go in is an ash body/maple neck esquire.

Thanks,
Mike

BeeTL

Scott,

At one point I remember seeing a Zexcoil bass pickup prototype.

How would your design perform on a 5-string bass under a nickel cover with no holes?

Cosmetically, this is what I'm talking about:

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom