Zinc tremolo block

Kmaz

Silver Supporting Member
Are there users here who actually like a zinc tremolo block for their Strat? What are the pros and cons of a zinc block?

Last edited:

tone?

Imho

Bit fatter sound, less definition than harder materials

Warmer too

I prefer steel or brass though

Eagle1

Tyler guitars come with zinc blocks, but the gotoh 510 is not a sintered casting and sounds good. As Tone said warmer with nice mids and a good balance.

Kmaz

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks, guys. When I ordered my Gotoh Strat tremolo from Warmoth, I assumed that it would have a steel block. Apparently, it is zinc. I guess the price should have told me that.

My hope was to tame the brightness on my ash body/one-piece maple neck Strat.

Do you think that staying with my Callaham block and switching to the Gotoh plate and saddles might create a nice balance? If the Callaham steel block is supposed to be among the most authentic out there, then I'd like to keep it in the game. :)

jiml

Gold Supporting Member
I have one on my Grosh EJ Custom. I was kind of surprised to see it, as I expected steel. I have a Fender steel block sitting around, I may drop it in to see if I can hear any difference, but after reading some comments here, I may just leave it be...

tone?

Thanks, guys. When I ordered my Gotoh Strat tremolo from Warmoth, I assumed that it would have a steel block. Apparently, it is zinc. I guess the price should have told me that.

My hope was to tame the brightness on my ash body/one-piece maple neck Strat.

Do you think that staying with my Callaham block and switching to the Gotoh plate and saddles might create a nice balance? If the Callaham steel block is supposed to be among the most authentic out there, then I'd like to keep it in the game. :)

Yeah that's a good increment to try first and if you want more warm put the zinc block on.

bluediamond

While I haven't compared them directly on the same guitar, I got 2 MIJ strats with steel block, 1 MIJ with full-sized zinc. The zinc one is a bit closer to my ideal strat sound, more fundamental/fatness, less grating to the ears. IMO steel is brighter/thinner but doesn't really translate into more quack. All 3 have excellent sustain.

ledzep618

I swapped my stock zinc block out for a steel one just to try something different. There's maybe tad more sustain with the heavier metal, but you'd be hard pressed to really hear the difference. Definitely not bright or thin.

I like the steel block though so Ill leave it in b/c its a pain to change.

dazco

Depends entirely on the guitar. I have a strat thats muddy and a bit lifeless with zinc but clear and rich with steel and does NOT sound at all thin or bright. Not remotely. I've also had strats that sound best with zinc.