Zinky Blue Velvet is a heck of a grab-and-go

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mude, Jul 29, 2006.

1. mude

mude Supporting Member

I don't have much experience with Zinky stuff (other than the stuff he did for Fender).

I am really impressed with the design and the result of the 25 watt Blue Velvet 1x12 combo. It is small and light, and really packs a punch.

Very few knobs, but lots of great features. 2 channels with channel switching and reverb on the footswitch. Single tone control for each channel, but really a great control. Also, has a mid boost/cut switch for each channel that in concert with each tone control really covers some ground. Also has a tube driven effects loop although I have not really used that at this point.

Good at very low volumes, but has plenty of volume for most applications I would think. Good solid clean tons, and really impressive overdriven sounds ranging from a little grit to sustainy singing leads. Very quiet. Covers a lot of the Fender/Marshally stuff, but with its own sound which I like.

For the features, PTP, size and tone, it really seems like a solid value in the boutique world to me. Definitely a good grab and go for a ton of gigging, home or recording situations.

Just a few thoughts.

Evan.

2. ScottB

ScottB Gold Supporting Member

I like it too, but I'm pretty sure it's not PTP (not that it matters - argument ensues).

3. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I loved that amp when I tried it out in LA around NAMM time last Jan. I've almost pulled the trigger more than once. otoh, my accompanying buds, Barry, Leon, and MikeyG were unimpressed. Probably my lame playing.. :rolleyes:

jon

4. mude

mude Supporting Member

LOL Jon. I doubt that it was the playing. :p Those gentleman have fine ears and to each his own of course. That being said, I like it. I also like the fact that it has very useable features and is easy to grab with little effort.

I thought I had read that it was PTP. Sounds like I am mistaken. Doesn't matter to me, but that may explain why it is lower priced than some (of course, I think you need reasonable volumes to makes boards pay off).

Evan.

5. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

I wish I hadn't sold mine. Thought I could find one in a head format (think again!).

One thing on the loop - Bruce Z admits that this is probably the weakest point of the amp. You have to have some type of line driver / buffer to really use it. He recommends just sticking any old boss pedal (off) on top of the amp, sending the effects out to that, then from the pedal to your effects chain, then back. IMHO with nothing plugged into the loop it sounds AMAZING, if you use the loop...not so much.

Probably the best low volume higher gain amp I've ever heard / played, but when playing VERY LOUD sounds great too, and cleans up well with the guitar volume knob.

6. grego7

Oh, and if you think that the combo sounds good, just plug it into a 2x12 or a widebody 1x12 - much better!!!

7. StinkMonkey

StinkMonkey Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mine (as you can see) is the Back Tolex White Face. I love the actual blue velvet covering but there wasn't one due in for a couple months and I could have this awesome tone now. That was two years ago. It's not PTP. All tube, hand wired, analog circut, Celestion 12" Zinky Designed Custom speaker open backed, 2 channel high gain amp. It's pretty loud. Since my main amp is a Mode Four (which I dearly love), I got spoiled being abled to dial in massive bottom and chug when I want it. The Zinky is awesome by itself, but I thought the oversize Mesa Recto 212 closed back cab perfectly complimented the Zinkys speaker and design. There are two speaker outs so when I feel like massive bottom I run it in a 312 mini stack on the 8 ohm setting. The Zinky also sounds great with any guitar. The Zinky Amp lifetime guarantee is for the amp, doesn't matter which owner you are. If you call or Email you usually talk to/hear from Bruce. That's customer service. You can go to the Zinky web site and read Bruce's interview, I'll tell ya why he doesn't like PTP and doesn't use it and other interesting stuff.
    My next amp is a bigger Zinky short or half stack.

8. mude

mude Supporting Member

I tried the effects loop and was not impressed (just put a delay in there). Volume loss and tonal loss it seemed, but I did not tinker around much.

On the other hand, I ran some pedals through the amp generally, and was again, very impressed. Very cool little amp I say.

I added a 2x12 cab just for fun and you are right, it just gets bigger of course. Good stuff.

Evan.

9. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Not at all Jon!!

I played it too and it still sounded mucho lame-o to me :(

10. mude

mude Supporting Member

Now, that must have been the playing! :D

Just kidding of course. Like your recent clips on the Heritage as always Leon. Hope all is well.

I would be interested in other amps that are the size/weight/feature set of the Blue Velvet and sound good. I really like to have some portable for a grab-and-go that is very simple, but that still cover a lot of ground.

There are plenty of 1x12 combo that sound good, but they are generally quite a bit bigger/heavier. What are some of the one I am missing? Probably should start a new thread.

Evan.

11. grego7

Alessandro working dog combo and the higher gain pedal of your choice? (Emma Reeza, Crunch Box, DNA GF'er, etc.). I know the working dog is a higher list priced amp than the zinky, but theamproom has a boxer 1x12 left for $899 shipped. Supposed to have great tone and very lightweight.

12. A440

A440 Supporting Member

I tried the 25 watter and really liked it. very easy to dial in nice tones

there's also a 50 watt version with 6L6 power section

13. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Evan - things are great, bud!

I'd take any small, cheap, good-clean-producing amp and a Crunch Box. Revernd Hellhound, Princeton, Classic 30, whatever...

14. mude

mude Supporting Member

I can't argue against that with the great OD pedals that are out there. Frankly, I have ended up doing just that with some pretty pricey amps as well (tended to sell them because of that though). I still do it with a Hot Rod Deluxe, but that is a fair bit bigger/heavier than the Zinky, etc.

Evan.

15. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Yes, I got the Rotty 1 12 for a similar price from Scott. Great amp, lightweight, big sound and does great with pedals. Very much a winner for me!! I put some lower gain tubes in for a bit more control of cleans and that really made it a keeper for me.

jon