Zinky Blue Velvet Mods?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by calieng, Aug 11, 2005.

1. calieng

calieng Member

Anyone made any changes to the amp?

The lead channel is great but the clean channel is just ok. I was wondering if a speaker change would add some chime or if the self bias circuit has the power tubes running a little cold???

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. calieng

calieng Member

Well here's the run-down of some speakers I had around to try:

Original Zinky (Eminence USA) - a little harsh on the cleans and a little bit of paper sound in the high gain

V30 (Celestion Chiner) - too punchy and too much mids in the clean. High gain was good but still a bit too much mids. I just don't like these in open back combos.

G12H30 (Hellatone Chiner) - more chime to the cleans and great harmonics on high gain but lost some definition of notes and a little too much bass.

Alltone 1250 (Eminence USA)- Great chime in the cleans, not that great for high gain.

Classic Lead 80 (Celestion UK) - Very similar sounding to original speaker but smoother cleans with a little more chime and the high gain is very articulate and refined sounding without the slight paper sound of the original Eminence.

It could be that the Zinky Eminence will break in some more since the amp is 2005 with not much use yet but the Eminence still did not have the clarity and note definition of the Classic Lead.

So the Classic Lead stays for now. But I want to try the new Eminence speakers once I get a few on hand...

I'm also going to put a 12AT7 in the reverb driver to tame the reverb control a bit.

3. Dave B

Dave B Exit... Dual Stage Left Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the speaker reviews! Great info.....

As for mods, Bruce sent me this after I bought the amp. If it looks familiar, it's because I posted it earlier this week in neastguy's current Zinky thread. Not sure if it will do what you want, but it may be useful for some situations.

"The Blue Velvet runs relatively low preamp tube voltages. Less voltage means less headroom, so the preamp distorts quicker and compresses nicely. If you want more punch, you can add resistors in parallel to the existing power supply resistors (there are two of them, both are 22k, 2 Watt are the stock value, using 22k or 10k, 2 Watt in parallel with the existing parts would increase the preamp voltage, as well as the clean headroom and punch). So long as you don't go smaller than 10k, you can't hurt anything, and tube life won't be decreased."

4. calieng

calieng Member

Thanks!

I got the feeling the amp was running a bit cold...more the power tubes...so I may try swapping the 22k for 10k and see what happens. I don't have a schematic so I had no idea about the circuit or voltages...it's also a circuit board amp not PTP which makes mods a little more tricky.

Great info!

5. calieng

calieng Member

I think it would be best to pull the board to change the resistors...I know you can just tack a parallel resistor on top but I don't want to risk messing up the solder traces...too much work to bother with tonight...I may try another time.

In case you want to see the insides...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Dave B

Dave B Exit... Dual Stage Left Silver Supporting Member

Nice shots. Thanks for the pics, since I haven't opened mine up yet.

7. calieng

calieng Member

Lots of shielded wires to help keep it quiet. The components look like they are nicely laid out and are of good quality. The manufacturing is excellent (soldering etc). A little over board on dripping that white goop all over everything maybe?

I don't know what it is about circuit boards but I can't help but wonder if they contribute to a slightly sterile sounding clean...I've never come across a circuit board amp that has the sparkle of a PTP amp. Even the cheapo Weber kits have more vibe. Maybe it's just the circuit boards generally have more components on them and more filtering of the signal than a more basic circuit found in kits?

Anyway, the Zinky is a fantastic amp for the money with one of the best lead channels I've ever heard so I am very happy with it.