Zinky Mofo - Any opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ChrisB, Oct 15, 2005.

1. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

I have a used Zinky Mofo head coming to me on trial in the next few days.

Has anyone had any experience with these amps and if so, could you give me your opinions on it.

Thanks.

2. voxworld

voxworld Member

I have one and it's a great all round amp.
    The only drawback for me is the clean channel sounds a little flat to my ears, even cranked.
    Apparently there is a mod that can be done that pumps up the channel somewhat to give it some more character.
    The retro channal is my favorite and I play pretty much exclusively on this channel. Classic clean to scream tones.
    The Mofo channel is great as well but I don't play really high gain stuff so I only go there for a quick fix.
    I plan to have mine retrofitted hopefully by Zinky with the clean channel mod sometime soon.
    I also have the matching 2x12 cab that came with the head.
    Perfect combination. The cab is very loud and aggressive sounding.

3. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

Thanks for that.

It seems there are not too many of these around so thats cool someone else here has one.

How would you say the 3 channels are voiced(Marshall, Mesa, Fender) and what sort a gain range. Could the retro channel go from SRV grit with the guitar volume down to say ac/dc crunch and up to 80's rock/metal at full gain.

If I like it I think I will order the Zinky 2x12 as there seem to be good reports on it.

I suppose I will find this all out when it arrives but you know how it is when your waiting for something... ;)

4. voxworld

voxworld Member

The Retro channel is pretty much how you described it. It seems to start where the clean channel leaves off at full volume.
    I guess the clean channel is in the Fender realm, I really think it's a little too clean and lackluster for my particular tastes. It does start to come to life cranked up though.
    The Mofo channel puts out as much gain as you'd probably ever need. I don't know your playing style, but I really don't think there's any lack of over the top distortion.
    The retro channel is the hands down winner for me and the amp wouldn't be a dissapointment at all if this was the only channel on the amp.
    These are truly killer heads, I believe there were only 100 units made, so we're in a pretty exclusive club.
    Bruce Zinky suggested I order replacement tubes from him directly, I think he says he save the choice ones for his Zinky's.
    When do you hope to get your hands on yours? I see it's a trial thing, I know its a tough call, but be careful not to judge the amp on tired tubes.

5. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

Should arrive today and it will be trying to win me over against a Pittbull 45 1x12 which I really like but just fancy a head/cab setup now.

From what you say it seems that it is just what I am looking for. Most of what I play has at least some gain and I like to ride the guitar volume to change the amount and I guess this is the retro channel.

The clean and hi-gain will be nice for those days that I fancy something different but are not essential.

Many thanks for your input, I will let you know how I get on with it. I have emailed Bruce Zinky a few times about it and he has been a true gentleman in answering my questions. Top class.

6. PerryT

PerryT Member

I had a MOFO and wouldn't have sold it, except that I was able get the Model 66 Combo, by Zinky. He made one head and one 1x12 combo. It is based on the MOFO topography, but with different trans, seperate gain controls for the retro and MOFO channels (much greater flexibilty) and the ability to foot control all three channels. Bruce says the he thinks the gain on two 66's is a little smoother, but I didn't notice much difference when I switched over.

Overall, I love the amp...I have grown to like the clean (not like the Guytron), but it is not the strong suit of the amp. The retro is killer - lots of great tones through the entire sweep of the gain knob. I usually live on the MOFO channel myself - just gobs of gain. Awesome, and I mean awesome, master volume that gives up the goods while folks watch TV in the next room.

If you are looking for rock tones, you should be pretty damn happy.

7. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

Yeah, I am looking mostly for good rock tones.

Typical, it didn't arrive yesterday so fingers crossed for today. I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks for your input guys. :AOK

8. Noah

Noah Supporting Member

woo hoo, I picked up a Zinky Mofo on ebay! damn I'm happy

9. *zr*

*zr* Member

Chris, Did you get the MOFO to try? What are your thoughts? I have one and just LOVE it. I wish I had the features of the 66 so I might need to send this one to Bruce for some tweaking! Has anyone actually had the clean channel mods done to theirs?

10. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

Yeah, I went ahead with the trade and have no regrets at all. A good sign that I like it is that since I found my fav sounds initially I have never really had to tweak the amp, it always sounds good to my ears so I leave it alone and just play.

I ordered the Zinky 2x12 for it and am very impressed, big big sound from a little cab.

My Mofo was already modded by Bruce for the effects loop and each channel is footswitchable although I have no idea if the clean channel was changed.

Nice one Noah, let us know how you get on with it.

11. Noah

Noah Supporting Member

I love the amp alot! I'll have to get it modded w/ an effects loop and channel switching. Mine has neither and that really sucks. The push pull feature is really useless when playing live. I will say that the gain channel (channel 2) on this amp gets the best rock tone I've ever heard from any amp in my life! It's not dry and harsh like most gainy amps, its' just beautiful!

12. Nigel X

Nigel X Member

I have a Mofo, and am curious as to what kind of guitars and pickups you are using. My Ibanez guitars, a ST-100 and MC400 Musician, sound so harsh on the high end that they're damn near unusable. Now, a Warmouth strat with Antiquity's and a Brian Moore with a JB and Alnico II sounded GREAT. Please advise...

13. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

With a strat with a JB and 2 Bardens strat deluxe (all bright pickups) I would have to cut the treble a bit as it could be a little harsh but with the amp turned up it was fine. With a Les Paul it sounds great at any volume with most settings.

What cab/speakers are you using?

14. Nigel X

Nigel X Member

Zinky 2x12 16 ohm. The Ibanez use Maxon made pickups. The Ibanez Collectors forumites suggest that they were copied from the Dimarzio Super Distortion pickups. Bruce said that he likes low output, vintage pickups and plays strats and teles. He said to use SD Antiquity pickups as a frame of reference when studying the amp.

15. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Hey how are you guys still liking your Mofo's?

I have an opportunity to pick one up for $900.00, is that a good going rate?

Thanks,
    M.E.