Zinky

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fenderbender4, Jun 23, 2006.

1. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

I have not seen or read a whole bunch about Zinky amps (not the Supros, although those look wicked cool). I was wondering what people's impressions of them are like. How do they compare to other amps that seem to be favorites here (like OD100, Rockerverb 100, Diezel, Ecstasy, Two-Rock, Bruno, Fuchs, etc.) Also, maybe this could just be a general Zinky thread (maybe a good idea for other amp brands too) for info etc.

2. ScottB

ScottB Gold Supporting Member

I have a Superfly and a Blue Velvet.

I love the Superfly. It is a 4 12AX7, 1 12AT7, 4 6L6 configuration. Mine is a 2x12 combo, which I believe is discontinued (probably because it is so freakin' heavy!!). This is my playing out rig. It has a memory that stores 32 presets, so you can instantly recall eq and gain settings with seamless switching. The gain structure is very flexible and goes from close to squeaky clean (but not quite - at least not the way I set mine up) to pretty high gain and every thing in between. IMHO for the combination of tone and flexibility it can't be beat. It has a very natural sounding saturated, somewhat compressed gain, but still manges to be quite articulate. It maintains a high degree of "shimmer" even with a heavy gain setting. In fact that is what attracted me to it, it was very early/mid period (i.e. "La Grange" and "Cheap Sunglasses" not "Legs") Gibbons-esque to my ears when I discovered it. Very flexible, almost "active" eq controls, that are usable over virtually the entire range. Loves all types of guitars and p'ups that I've thrown at it thus far. Including LP's, Strats, Tele's and P90's. I end up using the same 4 amp settings for just about everything I play, with maybe only slight tweaks on the master eq every once in a while. I love the gain capabilities so much that I don't use any drive pedals (save for boost type things) in my chain. Takes modulation pedals well and the effects loop is nice. Built like a tank and great support from Bruce. Answers all questions and even did a reverb mod for me while I hiked in Flagstaff.

Everytime I play through this amp when I haven't for awhile, I fall in love all over again.

I've read where some don't like the gain sounds of this amp, and that would kill it for you, because to me that is what this amp is about.

Go to www.swampcoolermusic.com or link to our MySpace site (for better live stuff - I don't have direct control of posting on our website, and I haven't gotten around to getting the best live stuff to our bass player to post) from there. Everything on both of these sites was recorded with the Superfly.

The BV (25W 412AX7, 1 12AT7, 2 EL84), I also like, although not quite in the same glowing terms. This is my basement music room main amp. I like the drive channel, and it is very similar to the SF, but not quite as articulate. The simplified eq control (one knob with a boost/cut switch) is flexible, but somewhat limited. The clean channel sounds a little "flat" to my ears, and I should point out that pristine cleans are neither one of these amps forte IMHO. The effects loop causes a significant volume loss. It takes preamp tube changes very well, and there is ample opportunity for sonic tuning here. I played it recently at a blues jam, where I was forced to do a lot of volume knob control stuff at lower gain setttings than I typically use at home (I'm usually using the presets of the Superfly to control my sounds), and I was very impressed with how it performed. Very responsive to the guitar volume knob, cleaned up nice but still maintain depth and presence. I got a lot of compliments on my tone and touch that day.

I played Bruce's new Velveteen recently. 1 12AX7 and 1 6V6. It is quite different from the two I have. A much better clean than either of mine and capable of chimey Fenderish pristine cleans. Not as much gain as the SF or BV, but respectable at just sub-Angus kind of levels. Sounds a lot like a small Fender (with more flexibility due to the master volume set-up) to my ears.

3. aeolian

aeolian Member

I have the tone mule prototype for the Superfly amp. I talked Bruce out of it after I played a copy he built for Red Suede (these are the only two in existance but he really ought to produce it). It is softer and spongier than my Fuchs. More of a rocker amp. But nothing like the Prosonic (into whose chassis it is built). Very smooth, no buzz at all. Bruce has developed something he calls buzzkill, which works really well. You can get very saturated gain tones with tons of sustain and no buzz, even with the highs cranked or it set scooped. I also really like the post preamp tone stack. Lets you crank in the bottom or add some bite without screwing up the overdrive tone you've dialed in with the front end. Like some other great designers, Bruce is a player who appreciates what the amp can do. This particular amp has four set OD levels that are foot switchable and don't change the overall volume much. You can just keep stepping on the switches and go from clean to saturated in steps as you build your solo. I played with the Superfly a bit when he brought it out at NAMM. Very versatile and playable amp. I kind of gravitated toward the harder to play Fuchs for it's dynamic responsiveness, but the Zinky is really fun to play though.

4. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

Have a MOFO head / Zinky 2x12. I think there where only 100 of these built. Mine has the 2 button footswitch to select the 3 channels and effects loop mod.

Have not had the pleasure of trying the other amps you mentioned but it would take something very special sounding to make me swap the MOFO.
    Oh, and Bruce is very helpful :AOK

5. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

+1 on this. I LOVE my Superfly. For someone who needs a great deal of flexibility, there is nothing that even comes close. The new Switchblade I think tries to emulate this, but Bruce's voicings on the gain stages make it really more like 5 different amps. The saving of EQ settings is revolutionary and I could never live without it again.

120 watts of power was too much for me, so I pulled 2 tubes, put a hotplate load in one speaker output, and I have a screaming beast that still out 'loud's' our heavy drummer, and other guitarist.

If you're interested, I've got a friend who might be interested in selling one. I just can't afford 2 of these!

ScottB, we GOTTA trade settings.

EP

6. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

Let's not forget the amps Zinky designed for Fender:

Vibro-King
    Dual Professional
    Tone-Master
    Prosonic
    others ... ?

7. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

Friend of mine had a SUperfly awhile back. I got to play through it one day. It had the nastiest, greasiest overdrive I have heard in some time. I thought it sounded great.

8. voxworld

voxworld Member

I've also got an early Mofo w/matching 2x12, #11.
    Sensational amp!!
    I prefer the Retro channal mostly, I hear the boost mod to the clean channel is just lifting a resistor so I'll be pursuing this soon.
    The Retro seems to take over right where the clean leaves off.

I really like the clean when it's near wound out, but find it a little flat at lower volumes.
    Zinky also did the Pro Jr.

9. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

I love my BV head... at the last gig I had 4 people come up to me and say how great I sounded... granted I was playing my new suhr through it.. but I love everything about it... its perfect for the size clubs we play and I'm not even really pushing the amp all that much.... I dont use the clean channel, just roll of my vol. on the git.... with the strat I can get a good Steve gaines type tone ( I think) and also if I go walk over and just turn the gain up, it takes me into Priest territory.. as for the loop, there is a fix for the loss of power, so its not really an issue, PITA fix, but nonetheless a fix... I have a youtube vid of me playing Amie (pure prairie league) if your interested... send me an email and I'll send the link... its crappy quality, but you can kinda get an idea of the rolled of volume thingy with a strat and BV......

10. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

voxworld - do you have any details of how the boost mod changes the sound?

11. stirling

stirling Member

I'm a Superfly owner who would LOVE to drop some wattage! Wanna share your methodology as to exactly how you arrived at your mod? Thanks! Superfly in D.C....

12. toasteroven

toasteroven Member

Owner of a black tolex BV combo here. Unlike every other amp I've owned, this one grows on my more each day, instead of having my interest in it fade over time. I've had it for about a year and a half and it's absolutely perfect for me. The only cons I have with it is the effects loop (which I don't use) and a minor quibble with how long the speaker took to break in. The speaker thing isn't an issue anymore, but the damn thing took a pounding before it loosened up.

13. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

How much gain do these amps have?
    Does / Can the amp get into Bogner high gain territory?

Thanx

Keith