Zion Guitar Technology - show me what you got! PART TWO!!!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by guitardude5, Sep 12, 2008.

1. guitardude5

guitardude5 Member

Welcome to a thread with people posting about Zion guitars. No matter how old the thread gets or if you have posted in previous threads, please feel free to join in on the discussion.

Wow, the last thread sure had a good run. I was a little sad to see it locked, but it was for a good reason. I would love to see people posting about their Zion guitars continue. To keep it going, at the request of Brian Scherzer, here is the official "Part Two"

Here is a link to the previous Zion thread started over two years ago for archive purposes
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=148866

I'll start off with a Zion picture I haven't seen in the last thread. Keep 'em coming.
    [​IMG]

2. KENHOOVER

KENHOOVER Member

3. tythety

tythety Member

Hey All Zion-ites!!!
    :dude:dude:dude:dude:dude:dude:dude

Here's a new pic of my new Ninety:

[​IMG]

Peace!

4. bluejedi

bluejedi Member

Ty, that guitar looks familiar....... I`m pretty shure that I saw that guitar at the Zion Factory a few weeks ago I remember that I saw the final inspection looking for flaws and there wasn`t. It`s a nice guitar I even took pictures of it... watching the Zion team or as I call them "The A team" you can see how carefull they work and that they have fun doing this great guitars.

I went to Raleigh to pick up this beauty

[​IMG]

5. tythety

tythety Member

Hey,

I'm trying to figure out the actual value of a Ty Tabor someone is selling and need to know if I'm getting a good deal. I know some of you have owned or own, so can someone please give me an estimate?

Thanks,

6. Boleary2

Boleary2 Supporting Member

hey Ken and everyone, I have owned 1 zion in the past and it was one of the "stock" models, with a black finish, maple neck, and duncan jb in bridge, it sounded great and I sold it like an idiot! I really played better than nearly anything else I have owned. Well, I missed the chance a while back to buy Tom Hemby's zion at a great price on ebay, again, like an idiot, I should have been all over it, but anyway, I won this recently http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=140273861020

and will have to set it up with a bridge and electronics, etc. I just wanted to get everyone's take on what needs to be done to get it up and running, I am trying to figure out the right bridge to purchase (as far as spacing etc) and what pickups to put in it. It is mahogany body with maple cap I think, I am not sure what the story on it is, although I do know the original owner lived in the Carolina's somewhere, so perhaps he had a hookup at the plant.

Anyway, I wanted to post and get everyone's thoughts, and to thank Ken for not only producing inspirational guitars over the years, but also for being an inspirational as a man!

7. Boleary2

I am considering the dimarzio eric johnson humbuckers for this, any of you have experience with them? I am probably going to be doing the wiring myself (for the first time) so i'll be trying to plot out the layout of the pots and such, anywhere I should look for a schematic on this? I will probably do push/pull to split hums...i have been reading some that say that getting a good single coil sound from the neck may be difficult, and I know that a hum probably prefers a 500 k pot and the singles probably a 250...so that will be interesting trying to figure out the best combo...maybe I just need to see if the zion ship will put it together for me!!

8. bluejedi

bluejedi Member

Nice guitar and judging by the neck it`s an pre 2001 model, my advice to you it`s to send the guitar to the Zion Shop because they`re great people to deal with, they could do a great job putting together the guitar and all the parts you need and setting the guitar like only Zion can.

Call Zion or send an E-mail I`m sure Dale can help you out http://www.zionguitars.com

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  9. LTE

LTE Member

Has Zion ever offered or made an Esquire style guitar?

10. bluejedi

bluejedi Member

If you are talking about an unexpensive line of guitars, the answer is yes they`re made outside the U.S and they`re called Zion by design, I haven`t tried one of but I saw a few ones on the Zion shop when I visited Zion I`m sure they`re quite good.

A link that might be helpfull

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM03/Content/Zion/PR/Zion-by-Design.html

11. Boleary2

well...I sent pics of the body to Dale Brown to see about getting Zion to put this together and his response was that Zion did not build this neck and body....I am trying to get a pic from the seller of the serial number to forward to Dale and verify if this is legit or not....hope the seller is willing to refund....:jo:jo:jo

12. bluejedi

bluejedi Member

Like I told the neck looks like the old ones (not angled headstock) mmm I don`t know if Zion puts a serial number on the headstock after the guitar it`s ready I mean with the tremolo, pickups and stuff....... maybe Ken can give some light into this business...

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  13. Boleary2

this is the response I got from the seller...anyone else have a comment on this? If it is a legit body and neck I would like to complete the project....

"It is a Zion. I got it from a rep. I was not supposed to have it I am not telling his name. That's it what were you thinking. Of course they're not going to tell you they made it it has a serial and everything. Please understand you are not supposed to have a body and neck made by them that has never been completed into a guitar."

14. Dave L

Dave L Member

Sorry for the hijack, but does anyone know anything about the E-series GT guitars? They seem like a cool deal, being actual Zions and all, but I´ve rarely seen them mentioned anywhere.

15. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Love it or hate it, there's no doubt this is a much-anticipated Zion-made guitar:

[​IMG]

16. bluejedi

bluejedi Member

The E series it`s the most affortable US made Zion, the options are more limited wich helps to mantain a low cost, for example the headstock desing it`s not angled (no matching headstock), the bridge it`s more simple than the standars wilkinson vs100 or the abm fixed, no exotic wood tops or custom options but they`re made with the same quality woods (body, neck, freatboard) than the other Zions and of course the pickups are duncans or dimarzios and I`m sure that the E series are great great guitars like all the Zions.

17. Baggins

Baggins Member

They play very well, as all Zions do. The pickups in one that I looked at were Bill Lawrence, I believe. A bit less expensive than other p'ups, but the bridge humbucker had some nice growl to it. I would've bought it, had a frosted marble not arrived at the shop just prior to my purchase.
    Chris

18. tythety

tythety Member

E-series guitars offer an Entry point to the high quality guitar that Zion makes. Since they are made in the same shop and by the same people, they offer the same high quality you get when you order a guitar costing $$$. The fact is you can't get a sense of real quality until you hold and listen to a guitar. The best looking photo and tag line can't substitute for playing time. Try an E-series guitar and I'll bet you'll be more likely to purchase a custom Zion in the future. In fact here's a link to a store that stocks both E-series and custom guitars - including a new E-series teley-type guitar.

E-Series Link

Enjoy.....

19. Dave L

Dave L Member

Thanks, guys. The E-series seems to be pretty low profile, since I have yet to come across a pic that isn´t the tiny group pic from the Zion website.

I´d most likely be buying from a store with good return policies, since finding an E-series to try out in Sweden is mission: impossible. I have played some custom Zions, though, and they were incredibly nice!

20. Baggins

Baggins Member

Here's a good review (from a GREAT player) that helped me out. http://www.musicianshotline.com/archive/reviews/zion_eseries.htm

Also, the store that Ty linked is where I bought my radicaster. I have to say, that the feel from the E-series to the Frosted Marble I bought was identical. Just a few bells and whistles not included on the E.

Chris