Zion Guitar Technology - show me what you got! PART TWO!!!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by guitardude5, Sep 12, 2008.

1. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

Here's my new (to me) Zion I picked up off of eBay the other day...complete with flight case...very, very nice...needs a fret dress, but I love it

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bluejedi

bluejedi Member

Welcome SoutherShred! that guitar looks sweet, you`re lucky to have those pickups! you can`t get them any more. If you need new frets you can call Zion they do great fret dressing,

3. bluejedi

bluejedi Member

4. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

What pickups are they by chance?

5. Tubescorcher

Tubescorcher Member

What is the brand of this bridge? Thanks in advance! I'm trying to score my first Zion!

6. bluejedi

bluejedi Member

Thoose pickups were made for Zion on the 90`s by Bill Lawrence, I saw a good guitar player with a Zion Radicaster playing with the Zion pickups and they sounded great... a lot "strat quack" with the singles and no noise.

7. guitardude5

guitardude5 Member

Welcome to TGP and the Zion thread. I assume you're talking about the one in the pic below. It is a Zion Resophonic Tremolo that was built by John Mann at Mann Made USA. John is the guy who made the first trems on the original PRS guitars. They are incredible pieces of hardware. They sound great. http://www.mannmadeusa.com/

Here was the original description from Mann
    Vintage ZION® Resophonic™ Vibrato. Fits all Zion® guitars with no modifications. Five hole mount. String spacing 2-1/8" (10.8 mm) E-E. Steel block for authentic Zion® sound, with increased tone and sustain. Has all the same features as the legendary PRS® bridge described above (now below). For OEM replacement only.

Here is the info about the PRS bridge

THE ORIGINAL "NOS" VIBRATO BRIDGE. Fits Paul Reed Smith Guitars® with no modifications. Six hole mount. String spacing 2-1/16" (10.5 mm) E-E. One piece cast bridge for authentic PRS® sound, with increased tone and sustain! Polished side walls give a smooth, comfortable yet vintage look and feel. Walls also prevent any side movement of saddles , improving tuning and playability. Push-In Arm stays where you put, every time. Bridge and Mounting Screws have hidden knife edge so that guitar returns to "Zero Position" and plays in tune. Has that smooth, silky feel that has made this bridge legendary. Individual saddles with individual height and intonation. Assembly comes complete with arm, claw and all necessary mounting hardware. Manufactured to original specs... by the original manufacturer... MannMade USA (formerly Mil-Com Industries, Inc). For OEM replacement only.
    [​IMG]

8. guitardude5

guitardude5 Member

That was a great score. I saw that one on ebay. Yep, those pickups were made by Bill Lawrence. I have a set in my Classic Maple. They sound really good and are very quiet.

9. tythety

tythety Member

:bow:bow:bow:bow

Hey SouthernShred. I also had my Zion-Eye on that guitar. It's so balanced between understated and over-the-top, as it just says "Rip Away" or "Listener Take Note" - that's why I love most Zions I see. Please take good care of her and I know she'll satisfy your tone fix.

Question: Is the White paint solid or is there any pearl or flake of any kind? It's hard to tell in the photos.

Enjoy!!!!
    :rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

10. guitardude5

guitardude5 Member

It's back on the market. HERE
    It was sold with a Gator case for $839 w/ free shipping. Now it's up on ebay with a bid at $899 + shipping and an old case.
    The parts Zion is back on ebay [​IMG]here
    NOTE : This guitar is a Factory Zion with Serial Number. All hardware and wiring was assembled by a private professional guitar tech to "specs" not by the Zion Company. This helped save money on the orignal purchase !! This is why I can offer this guitar at such a low price. A new Zion Bent T is about $2600 with an 8 week order time. Good luck and bid confidently!!!!!!
    I wonder where this guitar will finally settle in and call home.

11. eronson

eronson Member

my unbelievable fifty. i was told something was very special about this guitar but not sure exactly what, the conversation i was in was cut early
    [​IMG][​IMG]

12. guitardude5

guitardude5 Member

That's pretty classy looking.

13. eronson

eronson Member

the neck screams david gilmour tone

14. KENHOOVER

KENHOOVER Member

The "very special" thing was probably that it is a one piece body (no seam) that requires a very wide (rare) board. Call a lumber yard and see how rare a 14" wide clean (no knots) Swamp Ash board is. With a seam down the middle you can use a 7" wide board. The real cool, collectable old F.....'s were one piece. They do seem to sound better or maybe that is the perception!

15. Tubescorcher

Tubescorcher Member

Thanks for the detailed reply!

16. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

it's solid white...looks amazing in person...the neck is nice and broken in too...

17. bluejedi

bluejedi Member

I really really like this guitar! but there`s no info about it. What a guitar it looks great

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

*drool* where is that, ebay?

19. zookroo1

zookroo1 Member

That's a sweet guitar bluejedi!