Zion Guitar Technology - show me what you got! PART TWO!!!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by guitardude5, Sep 12, 2008.

1. shoe

shoe Member

I thought I read somewhere about that being flamed redwood or flamed cedar (if there is such a thing) top and back with a mahogany core.

2. bluejedi

bluejedi Member

Nop it`s not on ebay...I got it from the Zion Photo Gallery. I have always like the looks and personality of that guitar.

here`s the link were you can see a lot of sweet Zions:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/zionguitars

3. KENHOOVER

KENHOOVER Member

This was a rare flamed redwood laminated front & back, accented with a black veneer on a mahogany core. It also sports two custom shop Phil Keaggy Seymour Duncan pickups with gold plated studs & screws.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  4. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

Hey Ken, how do I tell the year of my new baby? Any idea who this was made for? It came in a flight case and the description said the guitarist was the lead guy for Truth and Point of Grace.

5. KENHOOVER

KENHOOVER Member

If there is a four digit serial number on the back of the peghead and it is greater than 3200, I have a computer record. Sounds like it may have belonged to Dana Cappalino, who is musical director and is married to one the girl singers for Point of Grace.

6. blastastick

blastastick Senior Member

Is it true tha La Si Do (Godin) made a lot of the necks for Zion for a few years? I have seen some Made in Canada stamps on some Zion necks I have owned and worked on?

7. KENHOOVER

KENHOOVER Member

La Si Do was a contractor 20 years ago but all necks are made in house in Raleigh NC now. Why do I say 20 years? I remember going sailing on Robert Godins boat on my honeymoon "lune du miel" July 1988. I made at least a half a dozen trips to the factory in order to supervise the quality.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  8. Boleary2

Boleary2 Supporting Member

good mojo in the guitar! i saw him play with truth way back in the day and he really knows his stuff...I am jealous! I would love to have that guitar!

9. blastastick

blastastick Senior Member

Thanks, Ken. The necks were still great. Why did you guys do that, I always wondered if it was true, and why? By the way My Zion Phil Keaggy # 7 is stiill the greatest guitar I have ever owned. Miss it greatly. I bought it from you and Jimmy Wallace at the Dallas Guitar Show.

10. KENHOOVER

KENHOOVER Member

The original invoice date was 11/25/96. Production date was 10/3/96. The other inscription is my signature "Ken Hoover" It was originally sold as a special order through "Washington Music" in Wheaton, MD USA. It may be a neck made in house as it has the new logo. The design of the necks are identical. Incidentally, that is a Primo quilted maple top.

11. Hades7

Hades7 Member

Hello,

Thank you very much for your response ! It's a very beautyful guitar. Unplugged, the sound is amazing and these joe Barden pics are better than tom andersons I have on another guitar. One more : thank you Ken. I'll now be patient to find a Moriah guitar in France !

12. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

If I recall (I'm at work) the serial # is 1148...so pre-computer. Any idea what the body wood on this one might have been?

Shannon

13. KENHOOVER

KENHOOVER Member

Basswood: lightweight & resonant.

14. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

I ordered a Zion several years ago and, due to a string of very bad luck, never received it. Obviously, it takes quite awhile to build one of those beautiful guitars. I ordered a Ninety, and I was absolutely salivating as I waited for it.

At some point during the finishing process (when they put it in the hot/dry room or whatever), the factory was hit by a hurricane. It knocked out the power and destroyed the finish on the guitar.

They said they'd build me a new one for the same price. I said, "Cool!" And then, I waited again (because, obviously, these guitars are made when they're ordered).

The day finally came when my Zion should arrive, and ... UPS or FedEx (can't remember which) broke the top. To make matters worse, the guy who ran the guitar shop I ordered it from sent it back immediately. I wanted to at least SEE the guitar I'd so anxiously anticipated for months and months. But, no dice.

In short, I ordered two guitars and both were inadvertently destroyed before I ever even got a chance to see them. The fellas at Zion took care of me, but it just wasn't to be. I still wonder what that guitar would have been like.

15. bluejedi

bluejedi Member

Wow what a sad story... did you order the guitars on a tuesday 13th, or own a black cat.... No, I`m not superstitious and I don`t believe on that stuff.(I`ve 2 black cats)

but I have the feeling if you order a guitar now, you`ll get it, I suggest you order the guitar and go to the shop at Raleigh to pick it up.:roll

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  16. trixterq

trixterq Member

Hey,

If anyone is interested, i have two realy nice almost new Zions (Radicaster and a Ninety) up for trade on the Guitar Emporium.

17. KENHOOVER

KENHOOVER Member

18. Hades7

Hades7 Member

Hello,

I would like to know if Ken made some zion with neck thru the body ? What do you think about this kind of necks ?
    Sorry for my french english...
    Thank you !

19. trisonic

trisonic Member

Hey Ken!
    Remember that you could not recall the guitar you built for me in the eighties?
    There's a photo of it on your personal myspace page - the Candy Apple Red T-Model down the page.....
    I'm still playing it too....
    Best, Pete.

20. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Member

They made the PowerGlide and currently make the Primera. I think the Primera is set neck, not sure if the PG was set neck or neck-through.