Zion guitars opinion?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by nosajwp, May 12, 2008.

1. nosajwp

nosajwp Member

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  2. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

[​IMG]

Here is my RT Classic I had custom built in 96.. I'll never sell it. I love them. Great value Fantastic fit,finish,playability.. resale is getting better but not as good as some of the bigger players in the market. Resale doesnt bother me personally because it doesnt apply to mine

3. Joe Boy

Joe Boy Member

Great guitars but any good guitar nowadaze comes with a price tag.
    Our other guitarist had bought one and as you might expect..I hate him now..:D

Hope you like the one your (thinking) of getting..I love'em.

..but I love alot of things.

4. zygleth

zygleth Supporting Member

I bought one that was basicaly brand new from another member of TGP. It was not cheap even "used". It is loaded with all the options as well. I will not sell it. I havn't owned Andersens or Suhrs but have/do own Melancon, Hamers, Soloway, AM Fender. This is by far the smoothest strat type guitar I've played.
    I would imagine that I would take a pretty good hit if I did sell it however. Good Luck

5. guitardude5

guitardude5 Member

I really like the look of that Classic you're thinking about getting. The bookmatch is quite stunning. Zions are fantastic guitars that do equal TA or Suhr. A lot depends on the model and when the particular guitar was built. Some Zions were in fact made from TA parts in the 80's. The current guitars are built in house in North Carolina and are killer. Like was mentioned earlier in your thread, the resale has gotten better recently on them.

If the Classic you were looking at had a different name on the headstock, you would be paying an extra thousand dollars! They are an incredible value for a custom built guitar. (maybe the guitar in my avatar makes me a little biased)

Have you checked out the Zion thread that has been going on for the past couple years? http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=148866

6. Baggins

Baggins Member

That classic is very nice looking, and I suspect, a great player as well. I love my Zion, and really don't have any desire to consider any other brand. Resale is relatively low, but if you go into the transaction with no intention to sell, no biggie. You won't lose BIG if you had to sell, but you're not going to make money at this point. If you purchase it, I sincerely hope you enjoy it.

Chris

7. Don Grafico

Don Grafico Member

I have a similar Zion also and it is objectively the best solid body I have ever owned. Out of the forty or so high end guitars that I have owned this is the only one that was flawless right out of the box.

8. bluejedi

bluejedi Member

Hello, I believe that in my country I`m the only person that owns a Zion guitar. a year ago I started the search for my "dream guitar" I`ve played a lot of guitars from fenders, parker, PRS, Les Pauls (I really like the paul), Music Man, etc. but there was something that told me that, there was another world in guitars.... and I was going to buy an Anderson (a Cobra Model). but I did some research on the web and I fall in love with Zion and the idea of making MY dream guitar, I`VE NO REGRETS OF CHOOSING ZION I LOVE MY GUITAR the playabilty the sound the looks!!!.

In fact a 3 months ago I was thinking to buy a Cobra (for a les paulish sound) but I went with Zion again this time for a Primera Model that will be build for me.

[​IMG]

9. Izy

Izy Member

I used to have three but now i only have one and i'll never sell this one.

Bought them all used and they are just the best value for $$$ ever.

All three were great guitars. I sold the two because i could not get used to the neck contour. But the one i have now is perfect in every way.

I played suhrs, melancons, tylers - Zions are on par with them. Only resale is not too great.

That is why they are some of the best buys if you are looking at a used guitar. :dude

10. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

I picked up the Radicaster pictured below, from the emporium. After I'd had it a few days, my gf asked me about it. Without hesitation, I replied "it's the perfect guitar".

[​IMG]

/rick

11. jctone

jctone Member

Carried them in a shop i worked at. Sold lots of Suhr's, Grosh's and G&L's.........Couldn't give the Zions away!!!!!!!!!

12. Matt F

Matt F Member

I can never understand that. They are very good guitars. But I have seen this too.

13. jctone

jctone Member

I agree, I think we got a total of 10. Sold 2 at a low profit margin and I kept 1 for myself. That was over a span of 18 months. I had one knucklehead actually tell me that zion sounded to religious for him and he had heard only christian players were playing them........LOL

14. Matt F

Matt F Member

Don't touch the fingerboard pagan! It will burn your hands! lol

That's silly..lol.

My brother, Guitardude5, has several Zions and they are all very good guitars. A couple of them are GREAT guitars. The Keaggy Primera is very pimp :bow. As fine as any other guitar in its' class.

15. nosajwp

nosajwp Member

16. Baggins

Baggins Member

Depends on which pickup configuration you want. Otherwise, I'm not sure one is more/less desirable in my book.

Chris

-Just realized I was looking @ BlueJedi's in comparison...In that case, I'd go with the second guitar. I like ebony boards and the black headstock, but that's only my take.

17. pass it

pass it Member

rick, glad this guitar has found a good home. :RoCkIn

18. zerolight

zerolight Member

I reckon the 1st one looks nicer.

19. Izy

Izy Member

Yep!

That's the problem. A lot of people just don;t see the build quality of the guitar. I mean the parts, the wood, the workmanship, its not below TA or suhr.

But many people would not even give it a chance.

So far, all three Zions i owned sounded amazing.

Anyway, grouses asides, more Zion guitars for us all! yea! :rotflmao

20. nosajwp

nosajwp Member

Anyone else have an opinion? If you could choose between the one shown in the first post and a PRS Custom 24 (same color), which would you choose and why?