Zog strings anyone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tedm, Dec 18, 2009.

1. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

Anyone try these?

Is there anything to having all strings the same tension, or progressively tighter towards the low strings?

I use 10-46, would be willing to try 10-49, but 10-52s are too bottom heavy.

Often tune down 1/2 or 1 step.

2. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

I had never heard of these, but I googled them. What an annoying website! He does not list the full gauges of his sets, only the first string gauge. His standard sets are inexpensive at $5, so it would be easy to try them.

You can put together your own set with optimized tension. Here's a long thread on the subject.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=329904&highlight=progressive+string+tension

I like the concept, and have been playing the GHS Eric Johnson sets because they are close to optimized, and are pure nickel.

John

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  3. vicenzajay

vicenzajay Member

I love ZOG strings. You can, of course, do them yourself per the thread, or you can order them from Alex for a very low price (my recommendation). The optimized tension just makes sense, and it "feels" right. They are what I use for both guitar and bass.

Also - the website is annoying to get a reaction....it's put together with a purpose to garner a strong reaction. You either walk away in disgust or put your thinking hat on and look deeper than the words. Alex knows what he's doing. His guitars (and his basses) are phenomenal. I am fortunate enough to own one of both. Everything about them just "works", and anytime I try a different instrument and then go back to playing the Zachary instruments, I am blown away by just how good his stuff actually is.

Just my .02

4. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for the info. I am not sure if I'll go the Zog route, but would like to try an even tension set.

5. JeffOlson

JeffOlson Member

I do not know anything about Zog strings, but I have a strong preference for strings with similar tensions, string to string. I do not like string sets that have an increasing or decreasing tension as you move across the strings. The reason: Unless I am playing jazz with flat-wounds, I bend a lot (and I mean a lot), and I bend and shake every string, not just the high strings. To make that sort of playing easier, I need the same tension from string to string.

6. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I investigated and experimented with the progressive tension idea and came to the conclusion that it is a more logical approach to choosing string gauges, ie: having each string with progressively more tension than the one below. This gives the 'feeling' of equal tension, even though the strings are not the 'same' exact tension. In other words, the strings 'feel' equally balanced tension-wise, relative to one another.

I'm now using this set for my Les Paul, ie: 24.75" scale...

10-14-18-28-38-52

The same gauge of strings for a 25.5" scale guitar will have more tension, due to the different neck scale. For my Rowan Montara, which is a 25.5" scale, I've been trying a set of GHS Burnished Nickels, which is almost right off the shelf, but BigCityStrings.com will let you change the E-B-G strings of any GHS set they carry, so I'm using...

9.5-13-17-28-38-50

And for my Strat, 25.5", I'm using...

9.5-13-17-26-36-50

Here's a great thread where this guy lists all the tensions for various neck scales and string gauges...

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/string-tension-charts-73846.html

With BigCityStrings.com's option to change the E-B-G strings, you can make several GHS sets/types with progressive tension. Otherwise, Curt Mangan let's you make up your own custom sets.

7. Kappy

Kappy Member

I knew it was only a matter of time before they started making guitar strings.

8. musicman1

musicman1 Member

Is ZOG the guy that makes Zachary Gtrs? If so check out his website..he's either crazy or the most right on guy in the entire business...LOL

9. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

Wow. That is one abrasive website. The guitars like nice and the string concept is interesting...but yeah.

10. circusinthesky

circusinthesky Member

Don't mind being told I'm an idiot, but this guy just takes too long to do it. The only people I have heard that ramble on so much are either Politicians or bag-ladies.

"The only reason not to use ZOG tension optimized string sets is if you are a "pedestrian" no talent, intellectually challenged or if you are some kind of a passive aggressive with a revolt against anything Z, since it makes you feel so inferior its unbearable, so you must lash out to maintain a shred of your ego. This makes you the ultimate Idiot and your Mom should be ashamed of you. So if you have not been gifted with at least average intelligence then just keep using the strings you always have and stay off this website. It will corrupt your thinking and you may actually learn something, then you won't be an Idiot any more. Get back on your Guitar Forum where you belong with all the other Idiots. That's where you guys live, anonymous and protected from any form of intelligence. A public toilet for Idiots."

11. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I just extracted the important knowledge and ran away quickly. :D

The knowledge is valuable, useful and good to have in your gear knowledge storehouse.

And in practical application, for me, it has been a great improvement to one of many links in the chain of tone tools.