Zombies Time of the Season vocal harmonies?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by DonaldDemon, Apr 19, 2016.

1. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

My band started covering this and I'm having trouble finding the notes for the vocal harmonies on the chorus (it's the time of the season for loving). I can't hear them well enough on the track, I'm trying to do the low harmony and it's driving me crazy trying to find it. Anyone know where I can get sheet music or what the notes are?

2. gennation

gennation Member

Holy cow, that imagine links to this http://www.hamienet.com/score16555-9.html

You can click through (what looks like) the arrangement charts. There is a Direct TV ad that keeps popping up but WOW...cool site. I'm going to look for other tunes there.

3. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

yikes, all kinds of ads and pop-ups! I'm not seeing the vocals but i may be missing it

4. stevel

stevel Member

I wish I could help. I've always loved this tune but for some reason have found these difficult to pick out as well.

5. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Super difficult and I have a pretty good ear, usually I can find it on my own. It's a strange harmony, especially the low part and how it switches on "for looooving"

6. StevenA

StevenA Member

I get low to high
    A D G Luv
    B E G# ing

7. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Ok read the sheet music (been a while since I had to do that!) and here is what I came up with for the 3-part harmony, no clue how right this is and no access to instrument to check right now.

It's the time for the se-a-son for lov-ing​

High: E F G E F G F E D G G#

Mid: B D E C C D C B D D E

Low: G B C A C B A G B A B

8. JonR

JonR Member

Firstly, that F should be F# (I haven't seen the sheet music, but I guess you missed the key signature...;))
    Here it is in tab:
    Code:
    -0---2---3-----0--2---3--2--0-------3-----4------------------------------
    -0---3---5-----1--1---3--1--0---3---3-----5------------------------
    -0---4---5-----2--5---4--2--0---4---2-----4------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    It's the time of the sea-ea-son for lo----ving

I hear it slightly differently - sounds like this to me:
    Code:
    Em   D6   C           G/B           Am7    E
    -0---2----3----0--2---3---2--0-------3-----4------------------------------
    -0---3----5----1--5---3---3--3---3---5-----5------------------------
    -0---4----5----0--5---4---2--0---4---5-----4-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It's the time of the sea-ea-son for lo----ving

On the word "the" it's a little weird. The middle voice would make sense as D (for a D7 passing chord), likewise an A in the bottom voice (for a plain D triad); but there only seem to be C E and F# notes there (I checked two choruses). Likewise (as suggested above) it would make sense for the middle voice to descend D-C-B on "season", but it seems to stay on D (there's no audible C on the middle chord).
    On "lo---", the A that's there seems to be the bass (and its octave harmonic); I think it's C-E-G in the voices.

It works fine both ways, of course. The top line is agreed, and the bottom line nearly. That second chord is definitely D, so an A in the lower line would make more sense than B, but a B is appearing from somewhere (among the strong Ds As and F#s in the spectrum). Harmonies like this (probably created by ear through trial and error) are often not what would seem the most theoretically straightforward.

EDIT: tab format corrected.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  9. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Doh! You're right, totally missed the key signature! I think you may be right about creating the harmony by ear and trial/error rather than theory, which is generally how I do it for my own music. I start with the basic theory of where the third or fifth is, maybe try a few odd intervals like fourths or sixth and then just improvise from there.

Thanks for taking the time to work out out, I'll give this a shot tonight and see how it fares. When I play the chorus I start on the 7th fret and play Em, D, inverted C with 6th string root and the G/B barre chords at the 7th fret, then Am & Emaj barre chords.

G/B chord looks like

X
    X

10. gennation

gennation Member

I did mention the ads...it was Direct TV...one ad per page...not a show stopper...but

along the right there is a menu of the parts of the arrangement...that link takes you to track/part 9 which is labeled as "choir ahhs". There is a second "choir ahhs" track listed too. There is a chart for bass, electric guitar, etc...like I said, it looks like the full "arrangement".

I'm working on material for two gigs right now, but after that I'm going to revisit this site to see if they chart out the organ/keyboard solo, that would be bada$$ to learn for the EHX B9 pedal!

slackandsteel likes this.
  11. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

I couldn't get that link to work, it kept taking me to the ads. I'll try again later. I was thinking an organ pedal would be great too! For now I'll just do my own thing on the solo.

12. stevel

stevel Member

Doesn't the lowest line go down (or isn't there a lower line), in counterpoint to the upper line?

13. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Hard to tell from the original version. If you listen to this karaoke version you can clearly hear the lower harmony in the chorus, if this is to be trusted. The low vocal is so buried on the original that it's deceiving.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  14. JonR

JonR Member

I heard a couple of points where it seemed to go in contrary motion (did you see my tab?), but I couldn't be sure. I was listening to a youtube version, and my ears are not exactly great quality either... ;). There are chords (and bass) behind the vocal, which muddy the picture.

The low line in that karaoke version is plausible but inaudible (to me) in the original.

15. fenderlead

fenderlead Member

I don't know anything about the song.

I ran across this and have no idea if it's accurate or not

16. JonR

JonR Member

Interesting. Here's that in note form:
    Code:
    Jeff: E  F# |G     E  F# |G   F#    E  D  |G   G#  |
    Lee:  E  E  |E     E  E  |E______   E  E  |E   E   |
    Jon:  E  D  |C     C  D  |D______   D  B  |C   B   |
    Bob:  E  D  |C     C  C  |B   A     G  G  |A   B   |
       It's the |time of the |sea-----son for |lo--ving

And here they are all together:

Of course that's not the Zombies original line-up (led by Colin and Rod). No idea who those four names refer to. (And notice the one labelled "lead" is the one holding E all the way through.)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  17. stevel

stevel Member

Yeah, that sounds much closer to what my mind's ear recalls Jon - I haven't troubled myself with scrolling up to listen to the original!