zoom and m series fellas: stereo question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by AdamSH89, Feb 16, 2015.

1. AdamSH89

AdamSH89 Member

Thinking about picking up a zoom MS CDR to run along side my M9 and DI them in stereo out to the front of house. However, sometimes I may be playing where I'll only want one channel. Does anyone know if there is a way to toggle between a stereo and mono mode between these pedals even though I'll have them wired with both input and output jacks filled with patch cables? Or is it the case that if the patch cables are plugged into both slots, you get stereo mode and that's it?

2. minty901

minty901 Member

The Zoom can sum your signal to mono if you switch on one of the mono-only effects (like Carbon Delay). Turn the effect mix to zero so you aren't actually using the effect, but it just being there sums your signal to mono.

3. AdamSH89

AdamSH89 Member

Awesome! That helps a ton

4. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

If you have the m9 last, it will sum to mono too if you only have one cable from the output.

5. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Summing to mono is not always a good idea (I'd personally say "almost never") - it can produce weird phase problems, leaving you with a strange hollow sound. In most cases, it's better to use just one of the outputs and treat it as the mono output.