Zoom G2-1

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bad Henry, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Bad Henry

Bad Henry Member

Been reading a littlr about this. Anyone own one. Seems like just the thing for being able to record a little AND have some effects on the floor without investing a bunch of cash.
    Am I right ? Is it an effects pedal and a record interface(with Cubase) for your computer?

2. Bad Henry

Bad Henry Member

3. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I don't know anything about the pedal but have to say, I love your screen name (you don't work for Gibson, do you? :eek: ;) ).

4. Bad Henry

Bad Henry Member

No, just your average 57 year old school teacher. Thanks for the bump!

5. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The G2.1u, from my research based on other's experiences, is the best FX pedal you can get for a reasonably cheap price. Go for it!

6. bucky

bucky Active Member

I have one. It's a great little unit. Yes, you are correct. The G2.1u has a USB recording interface and comes with Cubase LE. You plug your guitar into the pedal, and the pedal hooks up directly to the computer. It even has an instruction sheet telling you how to configure your computer.

7. Bad Henry

Bad Henry Member

C'mon Bucky, tell us more! What kind of music do you play? What are the unit's best effects?Live or at home? Clips? How long have you had it?

8. Bad Henry

Bad Henry Member

Bump Anyone else??

9. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Bought myself a G2.1 just before Christmas. I've played with it a little, but holidays have been crazy and I'm hoping to spend more time with it now.

One reason I bought it is I liked the presets; not perfect, but I figured if the presets sound good, then I should be able to tweak them even better. I have played the unit at volume in a full band context; it seems to cut nicely, another big concern of mine with these boxes.

It's a very solidly built unit; not cheap or flimsy at all. Seems like it would be gig-worthy. I also like the size; nice and compact, even with the pedal. It's the exact size you'd want one of these to be.

Like I said, I haven't had time to really play with the settings, but so far I like the unit a lot. The G2 (without pedal) at $99 seems like a great bargain; not sure the pedal + USB interface is worth the extra $70, but I decided to splurge.

/rick

10. bucky

bucky Active Member

Sorry about not getting back to you sooner, I've been busy. I've only had it a couple of days, so I'm just scratching the surface of what it can do. I really like the delays and reverb. It also does high gain better than really low gain, at least with the presets. I haven't had time to create a really nice sounding pushed clean patch. I'll see what I can do about some soundclips, but they won't be for a few days at least.

11. Bad Henry

Bad Henry Member

Thanks, fellas. Getting ready to pull the trigger on one of these. Either of you done any recording with it yet?

12. bucky

bucky Active Member

I'm out of town for the next two days, but I'll try to have something up for Thursday.

13. RickC

Haven't tried that yet myself, but the presets come in two versions - one eq'ed for live amplification and the identical patch with a cab simulator for headphone/recording work. It's set up to do this very easily for any patch, even ones you make yourself; basically just switch between the extra eq and the cab sim in the efx chain. A nice feature, and the cab sims sounded good in heaphones.

/rick

14. Bad Henry

Bad Henry Member

RickC- I'm about to splurge on this thing. Any new discoveries about the unit? Should I order the extra pedal? I'm not exactly sure what it does for you. Anyone else know?

15. RickC

I've tried this box with pedal and without; definitely go for the pedal. I read on another board that you can just use a normal volume pedal into the expression jack on the G2 and get the same effect. I like the feel of the one-piece G2.1. But either way, pedal is the way to go. The unit is much more fun that way.

In theory, you can use the pedal to sweep single parameters within any of the 54 effects modules. A lot of the presets use it just for volume, but others, like the harmonizer based patches, use it to add layers. It's a very cool, musical effect.

Not sure what your intended application is. There are a lot of classic amp models built into the unit, but I didn't buy it because I wanted a Twin Reverb or an AC30. My reason was I wanted to make weird, atmospheric noises. In that regard, this box is great.

Imo, it's strengths are:

- sound quality
    - solid construction
    - patch change speed and ease of use in live performance
    - size
    - bang for the buck

/rick

16. Bad Henry

Bad Henry Member

Interesting thoughts, Rick. Weird atmospheric noises? What sort of gig is that? Ha!
    Do you have the extra pedal that plugs into the G21.u? Have you recorded with it yet?

17. Cottage

Cottage Supporting Member

I bought one for my kid for Christmas and it impressed the hell out of me. If, at the very least all you use it for is recording and headphone practice, it seems as good as, and a hell of a lot cheaper than a POD. It also seems a lot more amp friendly for live applications through the front end of an amp too. My kid just plugged it in and went at it- very user friendly.

18. RickC

Just a clarification. The G2.1u comes with the expression pedal built in. The G2 is the one without the pedal, but has a 1/4" jack for hooking up an external expression pedal. You can buy an expression pedal from Zoom, but I read on another board that any old volume pedal will do. The G2 still lets you program patches to use the external pedal to sweep parameters, so it *should* have all the functionality of the built-in pedal unit.

I'm probably not the guy you should ask re recorded sound; no immediate plans to do that. I'm just having fun scaring the neighbors :)

/rick

19. tocs100

tocs100 Member

Of the 9(?) effects it can do at once, how many can be delays? (At least 2, I hope.)

20. RickC

yes. Mod, delay, and reverb are separate modules in the chain. The Mod module can do delay up to 2 sec, and the Delay module up to 5.

/rick