Zoom G3 Amp Models: OK in front end of amp??

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by rdamato, Feb 13, 2012.

1. rdamato

rdamato Supporting Member

I just grabbed a G3 and was wondering if I can run it with modeling through the front end of my Mesa F-50. The clean channel of the amp is just that, pretty clean and would be looking to color my tone a bit with a Marshall and Vox model for selected tunes.

Any thoughts??

Thanks,
    Ron

2. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

READ! There's plenty of threads on this subject. Read, do research. Then buy.

And yes, you can. Effects return would probably be better if it has one.

3. rdamato

Thank You, I think.:huh

4. fly135

fly135 Member

Yep, that'll work. You can set both the cab model for the selected amp and there is a global output setting for tweaking the tone to your amp as well.

5. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

Sorry, this questions been asked about a gillion times. I need more beer I'll be better. Good luck with the g3. Mines great. Power supply is a little scary...........................(cheap)

6. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

I run my G3 in front of my Fender Super Sonic 22 (mostly for effects) but when I'm to lazy to go into the effects loop to use the amp models on the G3 (which sound awesome this way BTW) I use the models right in front.

The tones aren't quite as good as going through the loop, but very good and it just adds that bit of character you are speaking of. Make sure to set the global setting in the G3 properly as far as if you are going in the front of a combo or in the loop. It really makes a difference and I would assume adjusts the cab modeling too.

7. rdamato

8. Elmer

Elmer hell is chrome

Personally, I don't like the sound of the G3 with modeling on into the front of my amps at all. Into the loop return the G3 is pretty good but nothing incredible IMHO. The modeling works best when I'm using the G3 for direct recording or playing through headphones.

Where the G3 shines (at least for me) is as a set of virtual pedals into the front of my amps. For that particular application it works very nicely. :aok