Zoom G3 amp sims - my opinions

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by MikeVB, Feb 24, 2012.

  1. MikeVB

    MikeVB Supporting Member

    Messages:
    6,654
    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2009
    Location:
    Leesburg, GA
    I got a G3 to mostly try with a JamHub for rehearsals. I thought some of the cleaner amp sims sounded just okay and a lot of the more overdriven and high gain ones just plain sound thin, raspy, and bad to my ears.

    I tried a Tech 21 Blonde and a Liverpool in front of it, and imho they both sound a lot better for amp sims. Pretty decent sounds with either of those combined with most any of the non-dirt fx in the Zoom. All the delays, modulation, filters, etc. sound okay (not great but not terrible either).

    Tried all this into both good headphones, into a QSC K12, and in front of a Deluxe Reverb.
     
  2. stratchamp57

    stratchamp57 Member

    Messages:
    1,866
    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2011
    If you spend some time tweaking the two Rock, the vibroverb, and the Marshall, you'll probably get some good tones. I've been getting good tones with those models and others have been as well.
     
  3. MikeVB

    MikeVB Supporting Member

    Messages:
    6,654
    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2009
    Location:
    Leesburg, GA
    Can you give me some settings to try for those?
     
  4. stratchamp57

    stratchamp57 Member

    Messages:
    1,866
    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2011
  5. stratchamp57

    stratchamp57 Member

    Messages:
    1,866
    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2011
    Here's a couple to get you started




    Clean http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho....php?t=1030822

    Heres my EVH Eruption patch that I use.

    It's basically the stock "tw lead" preset in the g3 with a phaser in front of the amp model.

    Phaser:
    Rate 2
    Color inv 8
    Level 100

    Tw rock:
    Gain 81
    Tube 39
    Level 90
    Treble 59*
    Middle 56
    Bass 55
    Presence 59
    Cab tw 1/12


    Dly+rvb:
    Dly time 318
    Delay mix 33
    Reverb mix 34
    Delay fb 31
    Level 100
     
  6. lspaulsp

    lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

    Messages:
    5,522
    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2006
  7. MikeVB

    MikeVB Supporting Member

    Messages:
    6,654
    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2009
    Location:
    Leesburg, GA
    Okay, I'll give those resources a try.

    Thanks.
     
  8. ElDiabloBlanco

    ElDiabloBlanco Member

    Messages:
    832
    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2008
    I've had good luck with the same models, as well as the Vox, the Twin and the Orange. Try different cabinets as well.
     
  9. MikeVB

    MikeVB Supporting Member

    Messages:
    6,654
    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2009
    Location:
    Leesburg, GA
    Having trouble figuring out how to actually bring up a patch in Edit once I download it.

    I downloaded one to my Desktop to try out, but damned if I can open it in Edit.
     
  10. stratchamp57

    stratchamp57 Member

    Messages:
    1,866
    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2011
    Make sure edit isn't running when you open the file. It should automatically open the g3 editor.
     
  11. MikeVB

    MikeVB Supporting Member

    Messages:
    6,654
    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2009
    Location:
    Leesburg, GA
    Ah...yep works now. Thank.
     
  12. harm.on.x

    harm.on.x Member

    Messages:
    128
    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2011
    The Twin, Marshall and Two Rock have given me all the tones I need. From clean to overdriven. No hi gain player here so I can't comment on those amp sims.
    I started by using the Two Rock model exclusively but I have now settled to the Twin for 90% of the time and the Marshall for the rest 10% of the time I need a dirtier tone as a starting point.

    I will second what has been already said about cabinet models. Feel free to mix and match.
    In the "real amp" world I use a Fender clone with a Celestion speaker. This combination gives me the tone I want. I do the same in the "virtual amp" world.
     
  13. phusana

    phusana Member

    Messages:
    888
    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2007
    Location:
    Boston
    You need to tweak the stock presets! I love the cleans from the Vibroverb and Two Rock, Back off the Gain and Tube to zero then gradually add a hint of each to taste. All of the stock patches need the treble toned down a lot IMO also.
     
  14. rdamato

    rdamato Supporting Member

    Messages:
    1,006
    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2006
    Location:
    Ramsey, NJ

    No link specified. Can you re-post??

    Thanks
     

Share This Page