Zoom G3 - best headphone pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tdiggy1976, Jan 24, 2012.

1. tdiggy1976

tdiggy1976 Member

I'm looking for the best pedal/solution I can use for playing at home on my couch while my toddler sleeps in the room next door.

I've read some good things about the Zoom G3 in terms of acting as a headphone amp + looper/drum kit/effects pedal. Seems like a good choice, but wanted to ask the wise folks on this forum.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. geodr

geodr Member

Korg Pandora PX5D features, size, and usability are perfect for this, but the sounds are only okay...

3. shizzaq

shizzaq Supporting Member

I'm using this combo:

Apogee Jam + iPhone 4 + Ampkit app for that same scenario and it works great. You can even record and do other things as well with GarageBand.

4. scolfax

scolfax Member

Gotta say, I tried a Pandora (might have been one of the 4's) and it sounded so bad I literally put it back in the box and returned it after taking it out of the box and playing with it for 10 minutes.

5. cheameup

cheameup Member

a mate has one for home practise and I've messed with it and it's be more than fine for headphone work

6. zenitB

zenitB Supporting Member

I am giving this a bump to see if there are any other headphone amp alternatives.

7. newi123

newi123 Member

I use a Boss BR80 - 2 AA batterys and a fully functioning 8 track as well as COSM effects, drums, guitar to bass, eband, audio interface etc etc etc. Probably the best guitar related gizmo I have ever bought - and there are lots!

Personally I also run a tech 21 into it as I prefer how they feel to play.

Great solution tho┬┤

8. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

the zoom G3 is a great headphone solution

9. geodr

geodr Member

Pandora PX5D doesn't sound GREAT but there are some perfectly servicable tones for practicing, and with looper and rhythm tracks it is a very useful practice tool. User friendly controls, battery powered, size of a deck of cards - works for me.

10. old crow

old crow Supporting Member

bump cause I'm looking for another option too.
    I'm playing thru the headphone out on a Reason Bambino tube head and it's great, but I'd like a second choice. Am considering a Webber Mass for my old SFPR,
    What else is out there ? I like tubes.

11. xntrick

xntrick Member

VOX also makes headphone amps, i have the metal version and it has some impressive tones for such a small device.

12. demea26

demea26 Member

Its no doubt a great headphone amp and I was using it in the same manner as you.

One issue, which may not be an issue to you is that USB acts as the aux in. Cant just run your iPod into it...gotta attach to your pc for jamming along to tracks.

Other than that its awesome

13. dankmyers

dankmyers Member

I was thinking of getting something like this, but chose a Vox Pathfinder 15r instead. It has a headphone out for quiet practice and I can still use all my pedals, plus I got another small amp to run ambient background loops or can let a high school kid use at church.

Best part? $75 used in nearly perfect shape.

14. demea26

demea26 Member

Yeah, I use a Mustang I for home/headphone practice since its actually capable of being a combo amp, too.
    80.00 with coupon @ GC :)

15. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

I've heard the Carl Martin Rock Bug to be kinda cool for headphones, amp simulation and external input (iPod). One of the guys at the local shop uses it for recording straight to the board. Here's a link: http://www.carlmartin.com/product_rock_bug.htm

I think it's something like $160 (?)

16. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Member

What about the little fender pawn shop greta?

17. TenneyThe2nd

TenneyThe2nd Member

This is what I plan to do when I can get a Jam.

18. philiprst

philiprst Supporting Member

I was in the same position you are a couple of months ago. Based on reviews here and a store demo I chose the Zoom G3. There is lots of information about the G3 here that will help you out but I, like others, have been extremely impressed with this unit.

As you probably know, the G3 is basically three effects units chained together in a single box. An effect can be an amp sim so for headphone practice you will have an amp sim in one slot and two effects available. As modeled effects and amps go, they are really quite good. The presets are excellent and are easily tweaked. The whole interface is very easy to use and quite flexible. In addition you get a looper which also requires minimal fussing. There is also a simple drum machine. It's not small like the Pandora but you can throw it in a suitcase and it is very well built. The main disadvantage is no aux input but you just need a splitter cable. It also sounds quite good as a regular effects unit in front of an amp or in the loop. I would not usually mix my tube amp setup with modeling effects but its great if you need a flanger or vibe on one song and don't want to invest in a separate pedal.

I have tried the various ipad solutions and I guess these are more travel friendly. You will need to use the apogee Jam to get noise levels comparable to the G3. There are a bunch of apps out there to do effects and sims. The more expensive ones will get you closer to the G3. The other issue is latency (I may not have tried hard enough to optimize this). I also found that the ipad does not drive headphones nearly as well as the G3, especially the sort of good headphones you would want to use. The huge advantage of the ipad solution is you get into the world of recording and garageband is outstanding. The disadvantage is there is no foot control and you don't get a useful multi-effects unit for your board.

Overall, I think the G3 is a great choice. I was more impressed than I thought I would be and it is a good sounding, easy to use, piece of kit.

19. FiestaRed869

FiestaRed869 Member

This is what I was going to say, he'll you cab find a used peavey practice amp for30$ on CL, then just plus in with your pedal board as you normally would and just plug in your earphones to the amp.

20. msowl61

msowl61 Member

This is pretty much all I use my G3 for now. The tone suck is pretty noticeable through my regular pedalboard, just use this at home though while I leave my other stuff at the rehearsal space. It's been an invaluable song writing tool also with all the different effects and looper. Just plug it in through the headphones and doesn't bother any roommates.