Zoom G3 direct into Mixer/PA

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by ftgjr, Jan 17, 2015.

1. ftgjr

ftgjr Member

I've recently started playing live, via some open mike nights, since I currently don't have time for a band. I usually play 3+ songs with the house band or with other friends. Most of the time, I bring my Tele, Blues Jr. and my Zoom G3 with a Screamin Blues and Tubescreamer pedals.

Some of the venues, the space is tight and though it's usually never a problem for me to put my amp there, I was wondering if it might be a good idea to just use an amp modeler, on the G3 and go direct into the board. I think it would not only take up less space but be a quicker set up and break down.

What do you say?

2. AdamSH89

AdamSH89 Member

Is there any reason you'd think it wouldn't be a good idea?

3. RLD

RLD Member

My G3X sounds great direct thru the house board.
    I use an FRFR powered speaker as a monitor on stage so it sounds exactly like I'm hearing it.
    Obviously if you don't bring an amp or your own monitor you'd need to bring some git back thru the house monitors.
    Personally I'd rather bring my own stuff to avoid the inevitable problems.
    G3X + pedal board in a bag, git and monitor.
    I can carry everything in one trip.

4. ftgjr

ftgjr Member

Not sure. Was just curious if I can get a good sound, that way.

5. CEFlint

CEFlint Member

I regularly play solo, mostly pop/jazz instrumentals for private parties. I use my G3 direct to my PA. I've got several very nice jazz patches. It works great and mixes better for that type gig.

I usually take it as an amp backup on rock/blues jobs with various bands. I haven't needed it live, but may take it to a rehearsal and run into a Tech 21 Power Engine. Should make a nice, portable rig.

6. shredmiyagi

shredmiyagi Member

I use it direct every Sat. night. Took some getting used to and it won't be as fun as your blues jr but it'll work. Took me many gigs to dial it in to my taste. Never as good as having an amp.

For an open mic, why not just bring the blues jr and forego the pedals? Great natural tone.

I use the G3 on my pop cover gig because i need to go from jazz and funk cleans to mid-gain od to high-gain shred tones, have wah/comp/echos/pitch FX available, etc.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  7. Staylong

Staylong Member

Hi Shred,

Saw your post and wondered if could advise. Just made a post asking about how to set-up G3x direct to a Allen&Heath Zed 10fx. Is it best to go balanced XLR out into the Zed 10 ?

Cheers
    staylong

8. shredmiyagi

shredmiyagi Member

I only use the xlr when a DI box isn't available (i like Radial/Jensen). It's nice for sending a dry-out (if you press the pre-mix button) for re-amping.

Otherwise just go 1/4" out straight to the mixer. Try line level since the G3 can be really hot, but experiment with your mixer's Hi-Z channel if you wanna keep the G3 output level lower. The global settings have some output options (direct, front of amp, etc) that affect the global eq minimally. I'd simply cycle thru them and see what's best in your setup. The concensus was that "direct" doesn't necesarily sound best... Direct.

9. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

If you use the XLR, use a good cable. Some venues use cheap mic cables and they can fall out. I don't know if some of the imported cables are metric or what.
    I've been using my G3 for acoustic and it's great. Played my Strat thru it many times it will work fine. Factory presets are really hot.
    I use the XLR because some consoles hate line level signals so a direct box would be good to have. Mine costs like $35 and has served me well the times I've needed it.

Good luck!

10. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

try it

FlyingsCool likes this.
  11. FlyingsCool

FlyingsCool Member

Or, instead....

Yes, it's possible you could love it. Try it.

12. tkachuk07

tkachuk07 Member

I've used the G3 direct and in pedal board mode into the backline amp. It has worked great in the occasions I've used it. I really dialed in my sounds at home into a PA at loud volumes & thus it has sounded good into the house PA with no issues. I generally only use it when load in etc. will be a pain & it is a short set.

At most shows I have an amp tilted up towards my head & that way I don't have to depend on the sound guy to get a monitor mix. I've always had a decent monitor mix going direct so far.

13. Bruce Santos

Bruce Santos Member

[PATCH] ZOOM G3X Clean Chorus - Fender Twin Amp Simulation. USB Recording.
    SUBSCRIBE HERE: https://goo.gl/LqsqRR

14. dreadheadhaha

dreadheadhaha Member

Do it!

I was using my G3 as a pedalboard with a Fender Champ and recently started using it as a modeler direct to FOH at my church.

I had to change my approach - mainly, I dropped the dirt boxes and went with some drive from the amp model - but the work was well worth it. Setup is now a breeze and my sound (at least to the board) is always consistent.