Zoom G3>MainStage>Amplitube patch control

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by tucsonsound, Feb 4, 2012.

1. tucsonsound

tucsonsound Member

So encouraged by the reviews here, I decided to pick-up a Zoom G3 instead of the Line 6 HD/M, Digitech GSP/RP, or Eleven Rack options I had been been perusing. I've been using it as a stomp modeler in front of my RM50, a preamp modeler into a stereo power amp/cabinets, and a full on modeler feeding monitors/phones.
    I recently started using the audio interface functionality to try out some software modelers. With the global USB setting set to 100% DAW, it worked nicely as a front-end for Amplitube Free, and provided three extra stomp boxes in front of the software modeling. I liked it enough to splurge on 45 credits at their Custom Shop to add the Bassman, JCM900, and Soldano models as well.
    This set-up has been pretty flexible;
    G3 stomps>Amplitube stomps>Amplitube amps/cabinets>Amplitube rack
    G3 stomp>G3 amp>G3 stomp>Amplitube stomps>Amplitube cabinets>Amplitube rack
    You get the picture. It's pretty flexible considering it's just a three button box powered by a MacBook Pro over a USB cable. I started putting together some chains I was liking, but was a bit bummed I couldn't recall the software patches and G3 patches together.
    I had heard Apple cut the price on Logic to $199 and moved it into the app store, but I didn't realize they'd made MainStage available separately for $30 there as well. I decided to give it a try as I thought it would be a cool way to incorporate AU plug-ins at the end of my chain in addition to the Amplitube fx rack. 20GB worth of downloads later, I had all the plug-ins, amp models, virtual instruments, and loops from Logic Pro available after the G3. Amplitube opens up as a plug-in within the channel strip, so each patch can utilize Amp Designer models or Amplitube models, as well as use their own cabinet models or IRs running in Space Designer. Pretty cool for $30.
    Then I hit the next patch switch on the Zoom and MainStage changed to it's next patch. What!?? Nobody mentioned to me that the Zoom sends MIDI program change messages 1-100 as you step through the patches. Quickly backing up my presets to Zoom's Edit & Share, I created a new list that matched up to MainStage's patch order and there it was, the G3 and MainStage/Amplitube recalling their matching patches with one click.
    Awesome little box. Had no idea how flexible this thing would end up being combined with less than $50 in software...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  2. birdie_in_texas

birdie_in_texas I can haz virgins? Silver Supporting Member

3. Henky

Henky Member

MIDI over USB that is.
    Now if it could only be a USB host we might get around with a normal USB to MIDI converter to connect it to other MIDI devices.
    As it is you'll allways need a comp to do anything with it.
    Anyone knows of some little device which is a USB host and MIDI interface at the same time.....?

4. atson67

atson67 Member

Mainstage is the bomb.
    You can incorporate your favorite software amps and then some..
    I run S-gear, Guitar Rig and Ampltube with it, along with software drum plug ins and synths.

5. dhbret

dhbret Member

Hey Henky:
    Could the M-Audio midisport uno be what you are looking for? They say it is a 1-in/1-out class-compliant usb to midi interface. Not sure, maybe.
    Bret

6. Henky

Henky Member

Thanks Bret for your advice but I'm afraid the M-Audio midisport uno is just like all other USB to MIDI converters and that is they connect to a host computer while being a USB slave themselves.
    In fact that is more or less what the G3 does by itself.
    The G3 acts as a USB slave and you can connect it to a USB host (your computer) and the G3 will send MIDI data over USB to your computer.
    So MIDI interaction between the G3 and a computer is no problem and as tucsonsound nicely pointed out, works like a charm.
    But what I want is not MIDI interaction with a computer but with other MIDI devices (like MIDI footcontrollers) WITHOUT using a computer in the middle.
    To do this you need a MIDI interface that acts as a host instead of a slave itself, so you can connect the G3 which is a slave to it.
    Now I have been searching the internet all morning and there actually is one device that can do this:

[​IMG]

http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml

This might be a little breakthrough in having the G3 compatible with ALL other MIDI devices.
    Of course I haven't tried it yet but I'm sure thinking of ordering this Kenton MIDI USB HOST

7. Lord-g

Lord-g Member

Hello Henky !
    What midi controller are you using?
    I have a FCB 1010 and intend to purchase a midi usb host.
    Know if I can control effect parameters to the expression pedal?
    Example: Controlling a wah wah?

8. Jeffrey Khoo

Jeffrey Khoo Member

Wow that's awesome actually. I'm in the midst of buying a G3x, and popped up the knowledge about mainstage and now i am worried that i can't do mich with the G3x. Now knowing that you managed to set it up that way. Just wondering how did you set it? Any mapping needs to be done or is just a plug and play with mainstage?

9. tucsonsound

tucsonsound Member