Zoom g3 patch select mod

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by stratchamp57, Feb 12, 2012.

1. stratchamp57

stratchamp57 Member

I found this when I was browsing through the g3 vids on YouTube(yep, that's right lol). I watched this vid about the g3 patch select mod and he showed that it worked and stuff, but I'm wondering how he got the G3 logo on the pedal so perfect(kinda fishy....)

Anyways here's the link to the website. http://ashbass.com/AshBassGuitar/ZoomG3/

2. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

dam, this is exactly what I wish mine did.. but I"m not talented enough to do this...

3. Henky

Henky Member

Well he tells it on his website:
    Zoom should have thought of this option themselves and i'm with neastguy that i'm not sure if i'm willing to try this.
    I need to explore the midi implementation over USB a bit more as it seems to be another way to achieve the same goal and might be a better option because you don't have to modify the G3.

4. stratchamp57

stratchamp57 Member

Yeah, I have no plan on doing this to my g3 either; I just wanted to share what I found with you guys.

5. yurka723

yurka723 Member

Very impressive. Im going to do this.

6. photone

photone Member

.... hmm, had the G3 midi capabilities ?:omg How? Over USB? ..and what functions could be available over Midi? (I don't see anything about this in G3's manual)
    ...:hide I wonder at least a tap function and patch select over midi... But anyway, if the G3 can send midi cc , we need a computer for mapping , and a midi interface for a midi footcontroller , or not ?:huh

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  7. Henky

Henky Member

Not...
    There are currently 2 devices of which i know that can run as USB host to MIDI:
    http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml

[​IMG]

http://iconnectivity.com/iConnectMIDI-Overview

[​IMG]

They both support any USB MIDI 1.0 class compliant device.
    And luckely the G3 is MIDI 1.0 class compliant.
    I wanted to take the chance and ordered the iConnectMidi as it does much much more like interfacing with your iPhone and iPad.
    And I can tell you IT WORKS eureka.
    So far i only figured out program changes which work flawlessly but I'm sure there's more to discover.
    And even if program changes is the only thing i'm happy with it.
    The important thing is you DON'T NEED A COMPUTER.
    Only one of the two boxes above and a midi foot controller...
    And these boxes are very small like a pack of sigarettes which make them easy to intgrate in your pedalboard.

8. stratchamp57

stratchamp57 Member

So what exactly can a midi controller allow you to do with the g3?

9. Henky

Henky Member

A nice midi foot controller for program/patch changes is for example:
    the midi moose

[​IMG]

It would allow you to access the G3 patches instantly
    It has 5 patch select switches and bank up and down.

10. ballhawk

ballhawk Supporting Member

This could potentially up the ante of the G3.

Henky do you know if something like this would work?

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_/MIDISPORT2x2AnniversaryEdition.html

Looks like it would but I noticed it is bus powered and has no external power supply. So the G3 would have to supply power over its usb port to the device. If it is capable of that then the midisport is a cheaper alternative to consider.

I'm imagining hooking up my midi rig and having 2 foot controllers and other goodies available for gigging.

Thanks for this info Henky and let us know anything else you learn.

11. Henky

Henky Member

The MIDISPORT ain't going to work and I will tell you why.
    The big difference between the 2 boxes I showed in my post and all other USB MIDI interfaces is that the Kenton and the iConnectMidi have a USB host port just like the USB port on a computer.
    All other USB interfaces I know are USB slaves.
    You can easely recognise which is which because the ports are different.
    Like the USB port on the G3 is typical a slave port and a mini USB port is also typical a slave port.
    Look closely at the MIDISPORT and you'll see it has the same port as the G3 and therefor it's a slave and it ain't gonna work.
    It's just recently that someone thought of making a MIDI interface with a USB host port but it's essential for making the G3 MIDI compatible in a floor board or rig as you don't want a computer on the floor.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  12. ballhawk

Clear explanation, thanks. Still the iConnectMidi seems like it could be a good investment considering all the devices that now use usb to midi type connections.

13. ashbass

ashbass Member

It's no big deal, really. You can open it and connect the wires to the circuit board and just leave them (the wires) hanging out of the unit to test if you like how it works. If no like? Just unsolder those three connections--no harm, no foul. If like? Then drill the hole in the back.

It's pretty cool, IMHO. I haven't been in Patch mode now for several weeks. Plus in Patch mode you have to press a button for each patch you move through and the mod (or the buttons at top) let you press and hold so you zip through patches in a hurry. Try pressing and holding the up or down buttons while in Patch mode.

ash

14. ballhawk

btw ashbass that's a great mod and a nice explanation on your site. Kudos!

15. currynoodles

currynoodles Member

Oh wow, great work Ashbass. That's a brilliant mod right there. :bow Wish Zoom had the foresight to implement this in the new G5.

16. ashbass

ashbass Member

Thanks, guys.

For the G5 it should work the same as with the G3. Using those instructions you can also add a Tap switch and a Rhythm on/off switch. Yum Yum.

17. birdie_in_texas

birdie_in_texas I can haz virgins? Silver Supporting Member

Hey ash..? I have several little "gorilla" simple on/off type pedal switches from a LONG time ago..wouldn't these work as well? All you need is a momentary right?

18. ashbass

ashbass Member

Yes, bit. All you need are momentary switches. Make sure it is truly momentary and doesn't stay in one position after you click it. I have an old switch here that instead of momentarily cutting 'on' when pressed and then 'off' when released, it stays 'on' until you press it again. I didn't test with that one so I don't know if it would still serve its purpose.

I'm going to look around inside and see if there is a jumper that can turn off the 'auto save' feature when you make an adjustment. I hate that. I emailed Zoom and got a reply that my request was passed on to the developers. Hmm

I also asked for a way to change the default parameters of an effect/amp so that when you switch to it it has your ideal settings and not what Zoom says are ideal settings. The Squeak model for instance I use gain at 20. But when I change an effect block to Squeak the gain is automatically 70 or so. That one bugs me too but I think is out of our hands as far as modding. It should be just a simple firmware update.

19. birdie_in_texas

birdie_in_texas I can haz virgins? Silver Supporting Member

argh...you are right sir..these stay "on" or "off" until you step on them again..:(

Oh well..my G3 is broken anyways, but I am trying to figure out how to get another and thought this would work out well for me..

Thanks!

20. ashbass

ashbass Member

Last I heard, they still had Radio Shacks in Texas. Things might have changed though.
    :)