Zoom G3 questions

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by tattoedsailor, Feb 23, 2012.

1. tattoedsailor

tattoedsailor Member

Was thinking about waiting for the G5, but I think its going to be overkill for what I need it for. Plenty of features on G3. Anyway I had a couple questions. Does looper work interdependently? Another words does it have to be in one of the 3 banks? Also how good is tuner and the phaser? I got two pedals I'm looking at flipping (Korg pitch black, MXR Phaser)..

2. stratchamp57

stratchamp57 Member

The looper does not take up a slot.

The tuner is alright. I'd keep your pedal tuner of I were you.

The phaser is just like the mxr phase 100 and sounds great.

3. SeeMoore

SeeMoore Member

I have a G3 and play live, to me the g5 is just what I need and will pick one up when they come out.

Anyway, as far as a tuner is concerned, I use a Snark, headstock tuner, that I feel is the best way to go if you want to get one more pedal out of the chain.

4. tattoedsailor

tattoedsailor Member

^^ Question maybe you can help me make up my mind. What is it that you don't like about the G3 that you would get with the G5? What is it that you find limiting about G3? If I go the G5 route I gotta wait til mid-May..

5. SeeMoore

SeeMoore Member

1. The G5 will have the "tube boost", it may or may not be a real tube, but thats one thing the G3 lacks, a booster that is independent of the effects chain.

2. One more pedal slot, some of the drives need more EQ tweaking and using the Para or Graphic takes up a slot I could use for something else, see next point..

3. I'd like to have 2 different mod types available in the same preset, along with delay or verb, so I can switch between a flanger or chorus if I want too. I think the G5 will be able to handle that.

4. the included Expression pedal is a big plus.

5. I noticed there is a seperate headphone jack on the G5, that means 4 different out options, L & R, XLR, USB and now Headphone, as far as I know, they can all be used at the same time.

The G5 just seems to me to be more "live" friendly.

Now the real question, is does it sound as good as the G3?
    Will adding this outher stuff take away from the core reason I love the G3?

6. tattoedsailor

tattoedsailor Member

" Live Friendly " I totally get where your coming from.. Playing out live I can see where the G3 would be limiting. I'm just looking at using this in "Man Cave" (Garage).. The extra slot for just the eq and dialing in amp sims is a big plus.

7. johnnymegabyte

johnnymegabyte Member

I have used the G3 live over 20 times. Depending on the song, Booster / Amp / Delay or Amp / FX / Delay or Acoustic / Chorus / Delay or one I created Two Rock / Flanger+Chorus / Chorus + Delay, which gives some wicked ambient sounds, and can turn off the Amp Model for a clean with either or both FX <very sweet>
    Still use my Zoom G7, but less and less, and the Two Rock amp model "is" the sound I want.
    Check out G3 is action Acoustic with Chorus and Delay Recorded with HTC cellphone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4R8ax5nWzU

8. Milo

Milo Member

Sweet sound,jmb. I too love the Two Rock.

9. Milo

Milo Member

Great answer. I am happy with my G3 playing only at home but for live use,wanting only one thing on the floor - i would most def buy the G5,
    Hell will probably buy it anyway,sometime.

10. tattoedsailor

tattoedsailor Member

I got G3 coming in next week..can't wait! Anyway got another question. Hows good is bypass? Is there tone suck? I got Fuzz pedal (Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom) and BB preamp I'm running first in chain.

11. Milo

Milo Member

I think bypass is very good.

12. tattoedsailor

tattoedsailor Member

Just got the G3... This thing is awesome! I need to get tampo tempo switch. Where can buy one?

13. fly135

fly135 Member

I imagine any momentary footswitch like the Boss FS5U would work.

14. stratchamp57

stratchamp57 Member

I use a keyboard sustain pedal for the tap tempo. :D