zoom G3

jadams71

I amt hinking about buying a reverb pedal. However, with the price of the G3 being what it is I thought I would give this consideration as it does so much for so little money and is pretty small to boot. For all of you G3 owners how are all of the spring and hall reverbs on the G3?

stratchamp57

I had a g3 and the spring and hall verbs were nice, but the m5 spring and hall verbs are better. If you just need verb, I'd get the m5 especially since it has the awesome particle and octo verbs which you can't find in the g3.

harm.on.x

Not a big reverb user but I like and use the spring reverb on the g3. I tried the other ones too and sound good. I use one of the hall ones (don't remember which one exactly, I think it's the HD) with my acoustic sim patch.
I personally love the G3. It has some shortcomings like every piece of gear but it's nothing short of great.

dwolfggc

I have an m9 and just got a G3. Having only spent a few days with the g3, I would say for just reverb the m9 is better. The G3 has other advantages though.

pomfret

I have G3 and HD500 (same effects as M9).

The reverbs on both are really good, I can't imagine myself using a reverb pedal with a G3/G5 or any of the M or HD series on my board.

Will Chen

Platinum Supporting Member
Honestly the verb in the G3 is fine and competitive among many stand alone pedals, some which cost much more. I personally like the Digitech/Lexicon stuff a bit more (specifically the EMT Plate setting), but its borderline splitting hairs. All digital spring verbs I've heard over emphasize the "sprong" (though Boss offers parameters to control it). Maybe they're all trying to emulate the old Fender stand alone units, never played one of those but no modern spring tank I've played sounds like that. To get a massive jump in quality regarding hall verbs, you have to move up to convolution based stuff.

harm.on.x

...To get a massive jump in quality regarding hall verbs, you have to move up to convolution based stuff.
This! Very good point!
And I would add that it makes no sense to run a reverb like that in mono and place it in front of a guitar amp.
Using the mix and decay controls of the G3 wisely gives you a nice spring type reverb.

The Version 2 firmware lets you use 6 FX now on G3. I have one, and picked up a G5 recently, too. Programming via Edit & Share software makes fine-tuning your sound so easy

Henky

I've got the G3 and the G5 but now with 2.0 tend to use the G3 more because of the form factor.

Will Chen

I've got the G3 and the G5 but now with 2.0 tend to use the G3 more because of the form factor.

Man, I love the G3 form factor as well. Nice and tight enough to put on a small board with 1 or 2 other effects and I've done a whole show with a single patch (granted, I don't need a million different tones as I'm not in a cover band).

Henky, do you like the 2.0 cabs? On most if not all of them, there seems to be some type of stereo processing which sounds very unnatural to me, surreal if you will. Its obvious when you change from one of the older cabs to a 2.0 cab, especially the 1X12 Deluxe model. I've asked a couple other users and no one has confirmed it yet, but I think this evening I'm going to to a null test (invert one side of the stereo signal against the other) to see if it completely cancels or not. I'm positive they're doing some additional processing on the new cabs and I personally don't like it.

I've asked a couple other users and no one has confirmed it yet, but I think this evening I'm going to to a null test (invert one side of the stereo signal against the other) to see if it completely cancels or not. I'm positive they're doing some additional processing on the new cabs and I personally don't like it.

I have the G3 v2.0 as well and I have seen your requests. I don't think I'd be of much help though, as I'm deaf on my left ear which means everything is mono to me.

Henky

Henky, do you like the 2.0 cabs? On most if not all of them, there seems to be some type of stereo processing which sounds very unnatural to me, surreal if you will. Its obvious when you change from one of the older cabs to a 2.0 cab, especially the 1X12 Deluxe model. I've asked a couple other users and no one has confirmed it yet, but I think this evening I'm going to to a null test (invert one side of the stereo signal against the other) to see if it completely cancels or not. I'm positive they're doing some additional processing on the new cabs and I personally don't like it.
Well i've compared the old and new cabs because of what you said but i didn't find some weird stereo processing going on, however i did notice more harmonics are coming through with the new cabs which makes them sound richer.
This may give you an advantage when using FRFR but with normal guitar amplification might have a strange effect.
Still it's better i guess to not use cab simulation when using real cabs.

Will Chen

Well i've compared the old and new cabs because of what you said but i didn't find some weird stereo processing going on, however i did notice more harmonics are coming through with the new cabs which makes them sound richer.
This may give you an advantage when using FRFR but with normal guitar amplification might have a strange effect.
Still it's better i guess to not use cab simulation when using real cabs.

I understand the general concept of not using a cab into a cab, but also realize that each companies output modes differ greatly and often experimentation is necessary to find the best end sound. This observation was made via headphones. Alright, so null testing will commence this evening. I'm feel pretty confident they are doing something very different with the new cabs vs the old. I suspect the old cabs will null and the new will not...

toneseek

The "new" vs "old" cabs - I think you mean the additional amps and cabs in v.2 for G3.

On G5, all those were part of the original firmware - none sound more processed than another. I like some of the modeled cabs better (just as with physical cabs) just because they have a sound I am aiming for.

In terms of stereo, I wanted to point out (and this could be different on G3) that G5 has a dedicated headphone jack that is distinct from the 1/4" L & R outs. When I had a G3, the headphone jack doubled as an output jack if I recall. So, it would not surprise me if headphone out on the G3 is not implemented as well as it could and that you could possible notice some stereo issues because of that implementation.

On G5, no amp sims and no cab sims have any stereo output whatsoever. Completely mono. In order to get a stereo effect, you have to have something coming after the amp/cab that is stereo - like a stereo reverb or stereo delay or stereo something effect. Otherwise, the output is 100% mono coming from an amp/cab. On G3, that should be the same, but again, I can not say. It should be 100% mono no matter whether it is a v.1 cab or added v.2 firmware cab on G3. The cabs are modeling in mono only.

Will Chen

The "new" vs "old" cabs - I think you mean the additional amps and cabs in v.2 for G3.

On G5, all those were part of the original firmware - none sound more processed than another. I like some of the modeled cabs better (just as with physical cabs) just because they have a sound I am aiming for.

In terms of stereo, I wanted to point out (and this could be different on G3) that G5 has a dedicated headphone jack that is distinct from the 1/4" L & R outs. When I had a G3, the headphone jack doubled as an output jack if I recall. So, it would not surprise me if headphone out on the G3 is not implemented as well as it could and that you could possible notice some stereo issues because of that implementation.

On G5, no amp sims and no cab sims have any stereo output whatsoever. Completely mono. In order to get a stereo effect, you have to have something coming after the amp/cab that is stereo - like a stereo reverb or stereo delay or stereo something effect. Otherwise, the output is 100% mono coming from an amp/cab. On G3, that should be the same, but again, I can not say. It should be 100% mono no matter whether it is a v.1 cab or added v.2 firmware cab on G3. The cabs are modeling in mono only.

Of course I mean 2.0 on the G3, this is a G3 thread. Regarding the output of the G3, the left 1/4" output is actually a stereo jack. It senses what is plugged in and acts accordingly. Regarding the output using the 2.0 cabs, we'll see tonight. Again, as this is a G3 thread, I'm only speaking only of the G3. Whether or not the G5 is the same isn't relevant.

photone

Regarding the output of the G3, the left 1/4" output is actually a stereo jack.
.. So if the Left output is a stereo jack, the Right jack is the mono on G3? That would mean is better to use The Right output for a mono signal?.. hmmm :huh

Will Chen

.. So if the Left output is a stereo jack, the Right jack is the mono on G3? That would mean is better to use The Right output for a mono signal?.. hmmm :huh

No it senses what is plugged in and can function as stereo or mono (presumable summed mono, but not 100% sure). Its part of the efficiency in design of the G3 which makes it such a cool little box.

toneseek

Of course I mean 2.0 on the G3, this is a G3 thread. Regarding the output of the G3, the left 1/4" output is actually a stereo jack. It senses what is plugged in and acts accordingly. Regarding the output using the 2.0 cabs, we'll see tonight. Again, as this is a G3 thread, I'm only speaking only of the G3. Whether or not the G5 is the same isn't relevant.

Well, none of the amps and cabs are modeled in stereo. Not the original ones when I had a G3. Not the added ones that I have heard on the G5. And I don't know how that aspect would be any different on the G3 with v.2 firmware. That is not logical.

So if you hear any stereo separation I would guess it is from that implementation of a stereo headphone and 1/4" mono all-in-one jack. Impedance and level issues must be managed by that circuit and I would not be surprised if it is imperfect. It could also be just sound vibrating through a headphone cable that is resting against gear or a guitar.

Jesus freak

Quick Noob question, can a G3 be "updated" to the latest version via the interwebs? If so do you do it from the Zoom site?
Thanks

Top Bottom