Zoom G3n/G5N platform, tips and tricks

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by ballynally, Feb 1, 2017.

1. ballynally

ballynally Member

Since i am only aware of the Zoom forum discussing the G3n and G5n this TGP thread is now solely for the G3n and G5n.

2. ballynally

ballynally Member

Feel free to contribute your tips and tricks here. I am aware that some are dissing the new G3n/G5n. Please don't do that on this thread Yes, there are limitations, like everything else but here we are. Personally i wouldve liked all of the MS70/100 effects/amp sims on the the new Fx pedals and this does not seem to be the case. However, the price is right, the unit usefull and i find the effects are very good indeed.

Some findings here. I will update these in due time.

To me it seems:G3n vs G3: more foot control switches (fx/patch 1,2,3 + 2 scroll/bank) more practical in live setting and maybe better effect quality (based on n(ew) platform) but fewer effects/parameters (like the Para eq has one band instead of 2 that the MS pedals have) and amp models. I just bought a G3n having no real need for amp models, plus with the G3n you can add one other MS pedal fro general guitar/ZNR setup so you won't have to do that with every patch on the G3n/G5n

With the new n models i presume they had a look at what they could do with the multi FX G pedals after experience with the MS stomps. That sounds sensible to me.
    I think they've settled on the format now, concentrating on the new n platform which incorporates the G3n(x) and the G5n (x) with the Guitar Lab software, adding on effects, patches etc. This will mean no updates for the now discontinued G3.
    Unlike the G3/G5 there are no longer output options like direct, combo front, stack front. There are options in the amp sims for other controls but not for general settings.

So, basically there are 2 modes, 1 Memory: fs 1,2,3 to switch between patches on the 3 displays, scroll < and > for banks. 2 Stomp: fs 1,2,3 to switch effects (within the patch) on/off, scroll < and > to change the display effects view within the patch, like if you have more than 3 effects. Use the bottom right stomp to switch modes.

I intend to use the Stomp mode mostly to be able to use one of the fs switches for a boost mode, with either a booster effect or EQ, like this: Fs1 reverb, Fs2 EQ, Fs3 boost. With the Memory mode you HAVE to chose between one patch or another. I will use that when i have other (boost) pedals on the board.Then i will have to make another patch with the same effect and without the 'boost' parameter as i won't be able to turn it off.

In Stomp mode: I'm going to take a closer look at the 3 windows to see if every effect is displayed in their own window. I intend to use the stomp mode to turn effects on and off. It's also the only way you can use one of the fs switches as a 'boost' mode, either with a boost effect or with an EQ.
    Otherwise you have to use an extra 'boost' pedal, just one more thing on the board i could live without.
    Caveat: only some effects allow you to assign the control with an added footswitch/pedal like Spotboost and Exciter (see manual). With some amp models there is an option for a 'solo' mode with one of the existing fs but only with the ones without a reverb/vibrato like some Fender amp sims (twin etc).Works with the Marshalls).It's a pity that there is no general purpose boost/solo fs for off/on.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  3. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

Very nice thank you. I am supposed to get my G5n in today.

4. ballynally

ballynally Member

They have added the MS1959 amp and Slapback delay to the G3n. I was missing that.

5. FuzzFacetious

FuzzFacetious Member

Please let also let us do the following, OP:

Post patches here

Discuss B3n when it's released too.

jimfist likes this.
  6. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

In the manual it tells you to launch the version update application to update the firmware but I cant find it anywhere. Anybody know if there's a firmware update and/or where to get this version updater application?

7. ballynally

ballynally Member

It's on the Zoom website. click on your unit. In case of the G3n there is an update from 1:00 to 1:10.
    You download the Zip file, extract it, activate it with unit on usb. Instructions are found in the manual.

8. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

Welp pretty sure I got a junk one. Screen 2 is blank and does nothing even after a factory reset.

9. ballynally

ballynally Member

I suggest a sub or new thread with patch settings for the different units, be it G3n or G5n. I feel the B3n is even further from the nest so make a separate one please. This is not to be mean or petty but in the past i've stumbled on a multitude of patch posts in other threads that take up a lot of space. Having a separate area for those makes it easier to navigate and it counters 'thread fatique'.

Do make a separate thread and it can be linked to this one in a post.:)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  10. Nevets

Nevets Supporting Member

Put your drums before the looper. Than once you loop your drums you can drop the drum module and use the slot for another effect. Helps a bit with the DSP limits.

11. Boink!

Boink! Member

Neither are built for live settings and are basically gimmicks. That being said, lets take a look how G3N and G5N are more practical than G3 and G5. In g3 and g5 you have effects that need to be turned on constantly but you don't use them (ie amp and noise gate). While playing your piece you have to tap around left and right while preparing, for say solo, if you want to toggle an effect that comes before or after. On g3n and g5n you have the same thing, but not exactly. The amp alone takes 3 screens now (two for the amp and one for the cab). You have foot switches that help in theory (an idea ripped off of a forum member), and with whom, when you play, you have to bypass 3 screens just for the amp alone and squint/look where you land to press what you need while following everything else around you.
    So, how is having 3 slots being occupied better than having 1? Also I noticed that for scrolling through gear (drives, delays etc.) you need to have 2 buttons pressed at the same time?

If Zoom made an update that would convert 3 slots back into 1 slot like on G3/g5 or even have the unused slots (that are always on and unused) hidden in deep editing (Digitech RP360), this would be a pretty neat little piece of gear. The foot switches would make sense as well (since they were originally built by a forum member for G3). As it is now, for people who might be taken by comments and overall hype that happens every time a new piece of gear hits the shelves, I have to make this part clear. Zoom g3n and g5n are not made for live gigging in stomp mode even though they are marketed as being designed around that principle. Not by a long shot.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    erniecaster likes this.
  12. jmgruber

jmgruber Member

Thanks for the tip - ;)

13. radiolab

radiolab Member

I use the G5n live and it works great. For big effecty type things I just run it with presets and have it all mapped out. For more on the fly blues, indie type things I Rarely use that many effects so a clean boost, trem, reverb and delay are perfect for me. I can get any effect without scrolling

14. jimfist

jimfist Member

Yeah. I've managed quite well using my G5n live and have no problems at all getting around my effects and sound changes in stompbox mode. I'd not want to attempt what I'm doing with a G3n, though. But if I only needed a couple of stomp fx feeding an "always on" amp model and cab sim, it would work just fine.

I won't vouch for the G3n as I don't own one and I feel that the number of switches are prohibitive for the things I prefer. It is pretty presumptuous to think that everyone has the same exact needs, and therefore since @Boink! doesn't think that it is gig-worthy, then that's all that need be said. Oh well. The fact that I and others happily gig the G5n on a regular basis would, by definition, make @Boink! incorrect. Is that not so? @Boink! has made his displeasure with the G5n pretty obvious, so those who follow the Zoom threads on this forum know this is nothing new. And since this thread is supposed to be a constructive one for "tips and tricks", chiming in with yet another post knocking the G5n is gratuitous and tedious. JMHO.

The G5n gives you access to 4 always-available stomps and an expression pedal in stompbox mode. If you need to access other fx along the chain, scrolling left or right is pretty simple. A standard chain of 4 virtual stomps in front of an amp model, cab sim, and reverb will take up 8 of its 9 slots, and I'll bet that there are plenty of guitarists who could get through a gig with a setup like this. Anyone who is looking for more features, switches, and power-user functions are definitely barking up the wrong tree with the G5n/G3n. Right now the G5n is widely available for $250US. IMHO that is a pretty square deal, especially for players who want solid amp modeled tones, a good representation of useful effects, stupid simple programming and operation, and enough switch functions to do what you need to do. If you need more, spend the money...and then you get more.

dotpc, Johnny88, LordByron and 3 others like this.
  15. jageya

jageya Member

well said. I agree 110%. for the low price point its super. As is the katana 100 and maybe even the spider v 240hc...but not so much a deal...still pretty cheap for all it cam do-IF IT SOUNDS ANY GOOD...i have yet to try or hear much on the 240hc.

dotpc and LordByron like this.
  16. ballynally

ballynally Member

I stated at the beginning that the G3n was limited and i hoped posters wouldnt start dissing it.but of course that's what happens.calling it a 'gimmick' and 'useless' 'not made for live use' are clear indicators of narrow mindedness.What does not work for some might do for others.General product dissing is generally dissing and disqualifying yourself. I hope we are here to help others.:)
    However, there are some valid points about the limitations the poster makes..

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    GrantRowlands likes this.
  17. Boink!

Boink! Member

I wasn't here to diss it but to point out something many less experienced fail to see since they are taken in by marketing stunts. The unit itself sounds awesome. However, since I'm on the carpet again, looking at comments, this here is quite a think tank apparently :) Out of 3 comments rebutting me, one speaks about "patch" mode (nothing to do with my post what so ever), the other one is not even using the thing and wouldn't even try to use it how I suggested, and the third one (OP) goes for personal insults but ultimately agrees with me.

18. ballynally

ballynally Member

So sorry to see this thread now starting to derail:(.please put future comments concerning the unit here and ignore the side track.it's a dead end street.

19. jimfist

jimfist Member

Time to stop feeding trolls, that's all.

20. Nevets

Nevets Supporting Member

Another fun thing to do is to loop your drum tracks through the effects chain. I always throw reverb on after the drums now. Can get some crazy rhythm sounds going. Once that's done I clear the effects except the loop then rebuild the chain for guitar.

Mark 'n Vetlanda and Wheels77 like this.