Zoom G3n/G5N platform, tips and tricks

If you are using IR with a Mooer Radar or something else

Try this, use the cab BGN 4x12 mics off and the Low cut & High cut as an EQ.
It will give you a lot of punch with IR.

Same into an amp fx return .

Here an example
Hey, I know him and saw this video, but if someone is using external IR it's a bit pointless to use anoter cab in de Zoom, don't you think?

Btw, does anybody have tried using the Mooer Radar after the unit and sent to the FOH?

Gam59

Hey, I know him and saw this video, but if someone is using external IR it's a bit pointless to use anoter cab in de Zoom, don't you think?
Like i said a cab with the mic off, the output is still harsh, but this particular cab give an extra bite with external IR

In the video the guy is doing something similar g5n + cab BGN 4x12 into an amp + cab
Look from 4:00

Last edited:

Doomrider78

I've been looking at getting a reverb pedal but many of the decent ones are ± $200 (all quoted prices are Canadian dollars), which puts them in the pricing region of a Zoom G3n.

I get my drive from my Orange amp, as well as a OD pedal, and I have a Joyo American Sound for that Fender tone, but I was thinking of putting a multifx in the fx loop to handle reverb, delay etc.. I already have a Joyo D-Seed delay, but using delays on a mfx would help me simplify my setup.

I'm more of a pedal and amp-type guy so I don't want something that will have me rooting in menus for days to use. I also want to be able to switch effects on and off as you would with individual pedals.

The question is: Is the G3n a good option for this?

Gam59

The question is: Is the G3n a good option for this?
Yes in stomp mode you can toggle on/off any effect. On the G3n you can have 3 active effects on the screen or scroll to reach another effect in the chain (up to 7).
and an option to keep the trail on both delay/reverb (only by preset)

Doomrider78

Yes in stomp mode you can toggle on/off any effect. On the G3n you can have 3 active effects on the screen or scroll to reach another effect in the chain (up to 7).
and an option to keep the trail on both delay/reverb (only by preset)
Thanks @Gam59

How do the effects compare to stand-alone stomp boxes in terms of ease of use and sound?

viden

Thanks @Gam59

How do the effects compare to stand-alone stomp boxes in terms of ease of use and sound?
I run my G5n exactly that way. I use it mostly for delay and reverb, sometimes I add a mit of modulation or pitch shifting.

Ease of use is great, it's just like having 3/4 individual pedals that can be set to anything you want them to be. They are really easy to adjust.

I have one patch that I use in stomp box mode with 2 delays and 2 verbs that I add whenever I need them as well as a couple of more ambient patches that I use in preset mode.

Sound wise I am pretty satisfied with the verbs and delays. The pitch shifter is not so great but okay for a little touch in an ambient patch.

Doomrider78

I run my G5n exactly that way. I use it mostly for delay and reverb, sometimes I add a mit of modulation or pitch shifting.

Ease of use is great, it's just like having 3/4 individual pedals that can be set to anything you want them to be. They are really easy to adjust.

I have one patch that I use in stomp box mode with 2 delays and 2 verbs that I add whenever I need them as well as a couple of more ambient patches that I use in preset mode.

Sound wise I am pretty satisfied with the verbs and delays. The pitch shifter is not so great but okay for a little touch in an ambient patch.
Thanks for the comments. I have no use for pitch shifting so I'm not concerned about that.

Like i said a cab with the mic off, the output is still harsh, but this particular cab give an extra bite with external IR

In the video the guy is doing something similar g5n + cab BGN 4x12 into an amp + cab
Look from 4:00
@Gam59

Dude, have you tried another IR regardless the Zoom ones? I'm bit curious about the Mooer Radar after de G3n/G5n.

Btw, they released a 2.1 version of firmware to G3n/G3x. So they suspended due to issues with Guitar Lab:

https://www.zoom.co.jp/Issues-and-workaround-for-GuitarLab

Do you know what's new in 2.1?
Nothing new, as far as I had seen, just to fix issues with the Guitar Lab. I've kept my 2.0 and 4.0 versions.

Waiting for the day when they will release new amps/effects to this platform, but, it seems that they are too busy fixing issues and focused in other products.

godoy.rafa

I've tried to achieve a good John Petrucci tone with the Mark III, even with a eq pedal for the "v shape", but it's not good to my ears.
I have dialed a Dzl patch that I use for all my high gain stuff, and I don't mess with it anymore for a long time... Very satisfied...

godoy.rafa

Bringing up the Mooer Radar talk again... Has anyone had some new experiences with Zoom + IRs? I play mainly FRFR, and got the chance to get a Radar at a good price.

I don't think that the new gear (Mooer GE200, Joyo Gem 3, Hotone Ampero) are actually better than our Zoom, the main difference might be IR loading capabilities.

Bringing up the Mooer Radar talk again... Has anyone had some new experiences with Zoom + IRs? I play mainly FRFR, and got the chance to get a Radar at a good price.

I don't think that the new gear (Mooer GE200, Joyo Gem 3, Hotone Ampero) are actually better than our Zoom, the main difference might be IR loading capabilities.
I'm bit curious about this too, it could expand a lot of options. I'm seriously thinking about record something with external free IR's via DAW instead the Zoom ones to see what happens.

But if the price is good you totally should buy it.

Trending Topics